Mac or PC

diziego

hi im getting a new laptop real soon and i have just been so confused on which one to get. Ive always had a windows desktop and like it but have also tried macs and love them. im looking at the mac book pro 15. i have no windows models to compare it to so i would really enjoy the help. please give me your opinions and help me out!

aha, I like MAC pro, and now Apple 12-core can order.
I'm a diehard Mac user and already own a Mac Pro, I really like it, and it of course do good jobs for me, work, entertainment, or someothers. No doubtly, MAC pro maybe a little expensive than other PC, but I think it just worth its value, I believe the professionals are professional, like ifunia, a MAC multimedia software developer, dedicated in simplifying Mac life, just do the professional conversion tool for MAC, I really like the iPad video converter from it.
Back to the topic, just see what features you expect to get, and affordable in your arrange.

I think your better off approaching this from a different direction. Ask yourself the following:

1. What do I really need it for?
2. What software do I expect to run from it? (remember you'll need all new software)
3. Can I really render all Windows software I have unusable (in OSX anyway) ?

If all your planning on doing is reading webpages, writing emails, and checking the latest headlines on your local newpaper online, you seriously don't need a Macbook pro. Added to which, if you have any rather expensive software you need to use for every day use, you need to factor in replacements as that won't work with OSX.

If your buying a macbookpro to then put Windows on it, I wouldnt bother either.

If it ticks all the right boxes then go for it. Macbook Pro's are awesome machines. I have an iMac at home, and I just love how simple it is to use, how fast it is, and the fact it just does what you want, when you want with minimum fuss.

You pay a price for it though; its a whole new learning curve, and they're not exactly cheap either!

I guess you could compare the HP Envy Laptops to the Macs? I actually prefer them design wise.

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=WP010EA&experience=direct

I have a brand new, 2 week old Mac Book Pro 13inch and they are great but not as good as the envy since for the same money you get a lot better specs and Windows 7 which, after much debating with my brother, I prefer, but he prefers Mac OSX.

So really its down to the question "do I really need an overpriced Mac?" but factor in Mac OSX.

I guess you could compare the HP Envy Laptops to the Macs? I actually prefer them design wise.

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=WP010EA&experience=direct

I have a brand new, 2 week old Mac Book Pro 13inch and they are great but not as good as the envy since for the same money you get a lot better specs and Windows 7 which, after much debating with my brother, I prefer, but he prefers Mac OSX.

So really its down to the question "do I really need an overpriced Mac?" but factor in Mac OSX.

Given the problems with every single HP laptop I'd owned, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole personally.

It looks a good spec (very good infact), but I've had nothing but problems with batteries, chargers and motherboards on all of mine.

Though I agree with the spec's for price vs. Mac's in general though! You get a much better deal for the same money going for Windows based laptops - but a lot are nowhere near as well built in my opinion.

I think Leeky hit it right on the head with his first post - what are you going to use it for?

I think your better off approaching this from a different direction. Ask yourself the following:
WELL DONE Leeky :wave:

These questions are entirely about the users expectations and experience, not the hardware platform per se.

One immediate Mac disqualifier is Gaming; 99% of the games are windows only

(ps: we have Macs, Windows & Linux in-house)

i mostly want to use it for music and school. im a music producer and there are a lot of good music production programs that are used on mac, other than that the usual school necessities. mainly for the music though

The Mac has several advantages, including, generally, excellent hardware.
For the moment, Macs are virtually spyware and virus free, a not inconsiderable advantage given the cost of Av programs and time lost on prevention and maintenance.
Windows machines tend to be cheaper and offer a great deal more software options.

i mostly want to use it for music and school. im a music producer and there are a lot of good music production programs that are used on mac, other than that the usual school necessities. mainly for the music though

Do you need to use mac based music production software in your working environment? Music production, and video/movie editing/production are two major uses in the Mac arena, but the software is very expensive. If using a Mac would be supported in your school, and they'd be purchasing your software then it would be an idea route to take.

Read my points below as well though.

The Mac has several advantages, including, generally, excellent hardware.
For the moment, Macs are virtually spyware and virus free, a not inconsiderable advantage given the cost of Av programs and time lost on prevention and maintenance.
Windows machines tend to be cheaper and offer a great deal more software options.

Mac's generally speaking do have very good hardware.

I agree about the virus' but one must never be complacent regarding them. Everyone using a Mac deals one way or another with Windows based users, whether by network or by sending of files/emails etc.

Windows Virus' will happily sit on a Mac, while doing no damage, but that doesn't mean you can't spread them to Windows users via every day usage. Its for this very reason you should ALWAYS have anti-virus installed, updated and run regularly on ANY operating system.

As for the firewall; last time I checked OSX didn't enable my firewall on my leopard OSX install, and its something you really should have on. If you don't, you make your whole OS and any files connected through it a target.

I've never understood the whole you don't need it with Mac/Linux argument.To not have it is placing everyone you communicate with, and your own system at risk.

for music production, i do not recommend laptops and also mac, beacause the marked of virtual instruments and effects is MUCH bigger (more to pick between), and there are several DAW programs to windows.
desktops are better cause you get more perfomance for buck.

budget?

but, what DAW program are you using?

do you record? or create music from scratch? both?

what genre are you working on?

what kind of hardware equipment are you using?

I would go for the PC

Since music seems to be your primary requirement, I found an interesting article on the internet comparing the PC and the MAC. Google for "tweakheadz mac or pc for music" and click on the 1st link in the search results.

Well done Leeky :wave: those are the critical questions for EVERY system purchase.

One other consideration; What system(s) do your friends use? They are your peer group and will or already your first points for consultations. This can get real important if you're on the Great Plains (of the U.S.) and the nearest shop is an hour away :(

Back