Mail Merge with headers

I am doing a mail merge on an Word document. Field1 is in the header, Field 2, 3, 4, and 5 are in the body. When I run the merge, I see that Field1 in the header still says "Field1". The fields in the body have merged successfully.

This merge is done from a Progress program. The program makes the .txt file to use for the data file, then invokes the Word merge.

(Progress is a database programming language. My question would be the same for any programming language.)

Do I need to do something special for the field in the header?

Thanks, Wayne

hmm: mail merge(MM). Let's explore the idea.

MM takes a template letter and merges it with some kind of contact list.

MM is NOT a means to generate email, however.

I immediately wondered what do you mean by HEARDER? Email has headers,
but letters have Addressee data, Inside Address, Subject Line, Date, Saluation, Body content, and signature.

Last time I tried this, MS Word was sufficient to perform MM without the aid of Progress (or any other scripting too).

Just did a quick test with Word 2010 using an Access database query as the data source for the mail merge. It resolves a variable I inserted in the header without any issue, however this may not be true for older versions of Word. We have a number of mail merge documents at work using Office XP, will test it out later today and post back.

Did the same thing using Word 2002 and again had no problem. Did a quick google and did see reports of people encountering this issue on different forums. As Joebeard noted, I'm letting Word manage the mail merge and am simply utilizing an external source ... this may have some bearing on the problem you're encountering.

Joebeard, by header, I meant the Word feature where you tell Word "Put this at the top of every page". This is the header, and merge does not recognize a variable there.

Mizzou, was there any solution for this problem? I will have to google it myself.

Thanks

Joebeard, by header, I meant the Word feature where you tell Word "Put this at the top of every page". This is the header, and merge does not recognize a variable there.
Yes, that's the document Header and Footers,
and my Office 2000 works there just fine.

Back