Maingear ships workstation PC aimed at CS5 professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Hot on the heels of Adobe Creative Suite 5, custom computer maker MainGear has launched its new Quantum Shift workstation PC for professionals. Starting at $3,399, the system is equipped with an Intel Core i7-960 processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 GPU with 1.5GB of VRAM, 6GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, 750GB of storage, a DVD burner, a 1KW modular PSU, maintenance-free liquid cooling, and Windows 7 Professional x64.

With an entry price well over three grand, you know adding components will get out of hand -- and fast. That said, many additional hardware options are available, including an i7-980X Extreme Edition CPU, two and three-way SLI configurations up to dual Quadro FX5800s ($7,701), as much as 24GB of RAM ($1,785), up to six mechanical or solid-state storage drives, a Blu-ray burner, a 1.5KW PSU and more.

Additionally, there's a pricier Intel Xeon-based Quantum Shift available, which starts at $3,995 and climbs up to and beyond 20 grand. It can be maxed out with two Xeon X5680 processors, 96GB of RAM, and most of the above-mentioned hardware. Both ship with lifetime labor and phone support and are available right now with an estimated ship date of May 3.

Permalink to story.

Seriously, starting price of that system over 3g's....you could build it with all of the components listed as save over a grand!

LOL...lifetime anything is a joke in the computer world. These machines will be seriously outdated in 5 years and end up being used as doorstops.

96gb of RAM? Holy overkill Batman! Is CS5 really that graphics intensive that it needs that much? I use CS4 and rendering on that is, at max, 10 seconds on my machine with only have 8gb of ram. Maya and 3DS Max on the other hand sometimes take considerably longer.

Yeah! true, I don't think CS5 needs so much RAM, or even the Nvidia GTX 480 GPU. That's a true GAMING computer not for just CS5

Wendig0 said:
96gb of RAM? Holy overkill Batman! Is CS5 really that graphics intensive that it needs that much? I use CS4 and rendering on that is, at max, 10 seconds on my machine with only have 8gb of ram. Maya and 3DS Max on the other hand sometimes take considerably longer.

The real target with that much power is video production. Doing video renders in Premier and other parts of the CS suite can definitely use that much power - and having a powerful (unfortunately Nvidia spesific) video card can really make a huge difference. Not sure i can think of needing that much RAM though. Just get a fast SSD drive instead.

If you are editing graphics intensive timelines and hi-resolution footage (HD, 4k or even uncompressed SD) or are working with multiple layered composites in HD you need it or you'll be doing more waiting than editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back