Make shared connection part of network

marklantis

I am networking illiterate and don't know if this is even possible. I tether my phone to my main computer then share the internet connection with a router. Is it possible to make the tethered computer and the computers on the router part of the SAME network?

Not really. you create TWO Internet connections using that cellphone and depending upon which connection is created first
(the router->ISP vs cell->Cell Carrier) the first one will dominate all traffic due to the use of the default route in the routing table in the pc. I would think that only the Cell phone usage would send traffic via the cell carrier.

I am networking illiterate and don't know if this is even possible. I tether my phone to my main computer then share the internet connection with a router. Is it possible to make the tethered computer and the computers on the router part of the SAME network?
I would give credit if I remembered where I read this but it is solved. Share the computer's internet connection to the router's LAN port and turn OFF the DHCP server on the router. Now everything is on the same network with internet access.

You can plug the tethered computer to your router then it will be in the same network with the other computers already plugged in to the router, as long as the tethered computer is set to auto-obtain IP address. But maybe I misunderstood your question... I didn't quite get what you mean by "then share the internet connection with a router." Was the router your method to connect to the internet or was the phone your method to connect to the internet?

You can plug the tethered computer to your router then it will be in the same network with the other computers already plugged in to the router, as long as the tethered computer is set to auto-obtain IP address. But maybe I misunderstood your question... I didn't quite get what you mean by "then share the internet connection with a router." Was the router your method to connect to the internet or was the phone your method to connect to the internet?
I was sharing the connection with the WAN port of the router. The sharing computer and router ended up on 2 different networks. Then I read where I should share the connection with the router LAN port and turn OFF DHCP server on the router. Now everthing is on the same network. I am network illiterate. LOL

Back