Mantle patch for Thief now live alongside AMD Catalyst 14.3 Beta drivers

Scorpus

Staff member

As the clock ticks over to March 18, AMD and Eidos Montreal have released a patch for Thief that enables both Mantle and TrueAudio, provided you're running the latest Catalyst beta driver. AMD claims this patch is of "tremendous benefit to a large cross-section of the gaming public", as it both boosts performance on AMD hardware and brings a better audio experience.

AMD's performance testing on "common configurations" shows a performance uplift of up to 49% in certain situations, namely when an AMD FX-8350 CPU is paired with a Radeon R9 290X to run Thief at maximum settings and a resolution of 1080p. On a more typical Intel-based setup (Core i5-4670K with a Radeon R9 280X), performance gains were closer to the 5% mark.

According to AMD, gamers on ultra-high-end setups - an Intel Core i7-4960X and a Radeon R9 290X - will see performance gains "in the neighborhood of 5-10%". In the coming days expect a full performance analysis of Mantle in both Thief and Battlefield 4, where we'll be able to see if AMD's claims are, in fact, correct.

For gamers who want to check out Mantle and TrueAudio in Thief, you'll need to download the latest patch for the game through Steam, and grab the new Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver from our driver download section. There are a few known issues with Mantle in Thief, such as a lack of multi-GPU support, and limited performance gains in high-memory scenarios with graphics cards that have 2 GB of video memory.

Permalink to story.

Mantle is a joke.
It's bad enough getting anonymous trolls without established members adding their weight.

It's free, it's optional, and it's a point of interest...if you have a supported AMD board. What's not to like?

If you're running Nvidia or (trying to run) Intel, then it's a case of "move along, nothing to see here"- and no need to p*ss on the red teams chips.

Mantle is a joke.
It's bad enough getting anonymous trolls without established members adding their weight.

It's free, it's optional, and it's a point of interest...if you have a supported AMD board. What's not to like?

If you're running Nvidia or (trying to run) Intel, then it's a case of "move along, nothing to see here"- and no need to p*ss on the red teams chips.

well in fact that's not totally true, if you are running Intel and an AMD card that supports mantle you will get benefits from it since Mantle is not cpu dependent. And if you are running an NVidia card, well you might want consider Mantle features the next time you buy a card. Anyway, AMD never said it will be a proprietary framework, so maybe they open it and give place to 3rd party Mantle implementations?
It's quite amusing that AMD achieved what DX and Opengl didn't in lots of time, so Mantle could push DX and Opengl a bit to evolve too. No one looses.

Mantle is a joke.

The only joke here is you

Mantle is a FREE performance boost for AMD card systems and works very well.

Anyways, I have not yet tried Thief Mantle because I don't own a copy, however my friend is running a Phenom II X6 1100T overclocked to 4.0ghz and an HD 7870 GHz edition. According to what ive seen, the performance now is a pretty consistent 60FPS where as before he was in the 40's at many points.

I really hope AMD picks up their game. I see no mention of Titanfall performance increases for AMD cards... Also, there is still no clearly outlined "performance boost" for BF4 either other than mantle. nVidia is really kicking AMDs butt in this sector.

well in fact that's not totally true, if you are running Intel and an AMD card that supports mantle you will get benefits from it since Mantle is not cpu dependent.
FFS, I was talking about graphics. Why do you think I said "If you're running Nvidia or (trying to run) Intel"...or have Nvidia suddenly started making x86 processors?
Anyway, AMD never said it will be a proprietary framework
Until they make the code open source it is proprietary.
The simple fact is that AMD need to keep Mantle to themselves until they have a bug free implementation for themselves, because if they released the code to Nvidia and Intel, the superior software resources both have would quickly see AMD eclipsed.

I'm still sitting on 13.12 beta drivers as I cannot update them or Battlefield on my computer decides to take a massive performance drop. I have yet to even try Mantle because Battlefield crashes when I update drivers. I'm running at well above 60fps on DX so I honestly don't care. I might try these drivers to see if I can actually try Mantle, but I somehow doubt it somehow.

Hilarious. Their are comedy schools to help with these problems you know.

This site is hilarious. If you want to go there, go read my first and second posts in the Are you gonna buy BF4 thread, and see how your angels treated me there. And if you look at the date and what I said about the game and what it needed, you'd see 90% of what I said came true. But, I did threaten to buy Ghosts, and taht is when all hell broke loose.

My point is, it doesn't matter if I write one sentence or many, if any fanboy disagrees, you get jumped on, so keep your jabs to yourself Steve, because you're no better than the rest of the scrubs here with comments like that.

You know I don’t entirely disagree with you on Mantle, I think it’s pretty pointless for the most part based on what has been seen so far.

I think you may find it is the way you go about things. It kind of does make a difference, a big one, if you write more than one sentence. Particularly if it has more substance than the one you came up with initially.

You know I don’t entirely disagree with you on Mantle, I think it’s pretty pointless for the most part based on what has been seen so far.

I think you may find it is the way you go about things. It kind of does make a difference, a big one, if you write more than one sentence. Particularly if it has more substance than the one you came up with initially.

I can agree with that. The truth is I did write a paragraph initially, but being a habitual editor, it ended up being just the one sentence. I figured if anyone were to reply, the result would have been the same if it were a paragraph or not. Actually, I may have given reasons for not being happy with Mantle in a previous article, but whatever. Zero's comment put me in a bad mood and I took some of that out on you. Sorry Steve.

A test now still won't show Mantle's "true potential". It's sad that this is the case with 3 driver releases. That, and the different performance numbers we got from AMD and DICE. Also, my experience with 14.2 showed no performance increase in BF4, and studdering was happening within 10mins, whether Mantle was enabled or not. Result: Went back to 13.12.
  • Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4™ in future AMD Catalyst™ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4™ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Mantle-Known-Issues.aspx

Last edited:
We have a fairly in-depth performance article for Mantle performance in BF4 and Thief that will be published in the new few days.

Mantle is a joke.

A joke because of ? Dx is really unoptimised ... Dx on bf4 60-70 FPS average with mantle I have 80-90 average so what is a joke ? In star swarm I have 29.90 fps with mantle I have 50 and on thief I have 88 fps

I jsut have a little 7950 Vapor X and Fx 8350

My friend have a 3570k + gtx 770 in star swarm 28 fps , On bf4 65-75 Fps , and on thief he can't play because of Nvidia driver ... Don't be a Fanboy but for now ( and for me ) mantle is better on all game using him ( bench 2 ) .

A joke because of ? Dx is really unoptimised ... Dx on bf4 60-70 FPS average with mantle I have 80-90 average so what is a joke ? In star swarm I have 29.90 fps with mantle I have 50 and on thief I have 88 fps

I jsut have a little 7950 Vapor X and Fx 8350

My friend have a 3570k + gtx 770 in star swarm 28 fps , On bf4 65-75 Fps , and on thief he can't play because of Nvidia driver ... Don't be a Fanboy but for now ( and for me ) mantle is better on all game using him ( bench 2 ) .

Click on my profile and see my specs before you start throwing out the fanboy talk. I used driver 14.2 and 14.3 and both stuttered really bad, and 14.3 made me lose 20-30fps in BF4.

If Mantle was so great, AMD wouldn't be leaving it for DX12. Mantle is simply an API that makes AMD CPU's look less pitiful. That's the sole reason for its existence.

What also makes it a joke, is that nVIDIA has just announced their upcoming April driver will surpass what AMD cards are getting with Mantle in the same titles.

Also: https://www.techspot.com/review/793-thief-battlefield-4-mantle-performance/

Last edited:
Back