Many are turning to digital fundraising platforms for financial relief

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Trying times often bring out the best in people. We’ve seen it demonstrated time and again when events like natural disasters or even terrorism cripple a region. With established digital fundraising platforms like GoFundMe in place, it’s never been easier to reach out and lend a helping hand.

Crowdfunding platforms, at least when viewed through the tech lens, are often seen as destinations to “take a chance” on a new start-up or an exciting product. But in these difficult times, many are utilizing digital fundraising platforms to try and stay afloat financially.

GoFundMe has set up a general relief fund in which interested parties can donate to help both organizations and individuals. As of writing, the effort has raised more than $45,000 in just five days.

Those seeking a more direct approach are encouraged to support individuals directly. There’s no shortage of coronavirus-inspired campaigns that have already cropped up on the fundraising platform, many of which are featured on GoFundMe’s Covid-19 landing page. Whatever your calling is, odds are, you’ll find a campaign worthy of your support here.

Patreon is another way to directly help creators. The platform is hosting a virtual get-together later this evening to raise funds for artists affected by coronavirus-related cancellations. Patreon admits that it isn't exactly sure what the event will look like (they're "making this up as we go") but with any luck, they'll see a big turnout.

Masthead credit: Donation jar by mirtmirt. GoFundMe by II.studio.

Permalink to story.

Thanks Matt, good idea.
Y'all be careful with the money don't start handing it out for any-old-thing through these sites, scams are everywhere. Patreon has become the platform of choice for YouTubers, so there's that.

My question is, how many of the crowd funding schemes can you have, before the beggars badly out number the willing donors?

Objectively speaking, everybody has some financial burden they'd like someone else to pay for.

And as you might expect from me, I still cling the the provincial notion that, "charity begins at home".

If everyone is hurting, how can we get money from everyone else?

The Coronavirus plays out like the Wrath of God. Like one of the Plagues.

I've tried to help people during this time in need, but I can't lend large amounts of money to people if I can't be sure they will even have a job to pay me back.

There were people already at the razor's edge before coronavirus (virtually 30% of America and the majority of the world's population).

This is what pushes people over that edge.

If you look at the draconian measures China used you will notice they were able to flatten the curve and it appears to be headed slightly downward. South Korea did much the same and their situation is showing improvement. Our government is "suggesting" similar measures but is depending upon everyone to take the initiative on their own. Bear in mind, during the Spanish Flu and a few others, people were ordered into their homes with a big "Quarantined" sign slapped on their door and the nation was under martial law.

The one other silver lining to this situation is that it might, it just might pull the nation together enough to end all this petty bickering that has divided us so long. If we start seeing how important it is to function as a single body rather than so many special interests we could once again have a truly United States ..... only time and commitment will tell ...... God help us all .....

If you look at the draconian measures China used you will notice they were able to flatten the curve and it appears to be headed slightly downward. South Korea did much the same and their situation is showing improvement. Our government is "suggesting" similar measures but is depending upon everyone to take the initiative on their own. Bear in mind, during the Spanish Flu and a few others, people were ordered into their homes with a big "Quarantined" sign slapped on their door and the nation was under martial law.

The one other silver lining to this situation is that it might, it just might pull the nation together enough to end all this petty bickering that has divided us so long. If we start seeing how important it is to function as a single body rather than so many special interests we could once again have a truly United States ..... only time and commitment will tell ...... God help us all .....

Cities are locked down. Streets and sidewalks are empty. Grocers shelves are barren. Nightlife is dead. Everything "we do" is paused, some of the closed operations may never restart. Airlines are on the verge of bankruptcy. Automakers have shutdown. Stock markets and holdings have crashed and lost 30 years worth of gains. Across the earth many people are sick, and some are dying.

I'm scared, others are scared, at no time in history have so many, in so many places, faced such a trio of storms, while living in isolation to avoid spreading disease further than the fear of it has spread. Humankind is marginally affected, by far the greatest majority of us will survive, but things will have changed after being affected by living through the fear of impending doom.

This was not planned.

Beyond my door exists a deserted ugly thing that is unrecognizable, formless, threatening, weird, imposing.

It's odd.

My hopes are not idealistic, I need to be practical. I hope the people who keep the electricity up are empowered to keep it going - along with many others who keep other services and 'connections' operational. Without that and this net connection, lie a whole lot of

nothing.

Pardon me, this is going to take a minute...

160kish people reported infected globally, global population 7 billion? Cases are already lowering in China. Oh no, some people have to stay inside for a few weeks... It's not like this is a new HIV epidemic.... I deal with the public all day long. It is not Mad Max out there... Just do what the CDC says. And ignore news sites\broadcasts, they profit on clicks\views. If our imaginary economy goes down again, w.e, it was bound to happen.

Bidet stock rising?

lol why do you say China used "draconian" methods... Please enlighten me, what did they do that you don't like and what do you think they should have done differently?

Back