Markus 'Notch' Persson cancels 0x10c but the concept will live on

Shawn Knight

Staff member

notch minecraft game 0x10c

In what can only be seen as a bit of irony, a game under the direction of Markus “Notch” Persson that involves a universe on the brink of extinction is now going dark itself. The Minecraft creator has confirmed that he will no longer continue development of 0x10c after putting the title on hold earlier this year due to a “creative block.”

Persson made the announcement during a recent Team Fortress 2 livestream. Naturally, that didn’t sit well with gamers that had been looking forward to the title’s eventual release.

Notch didn’t elaborate on why he chose to abandon the game and according to project lead Shane Dalton, he and his team didn’t really ask questions. Instead, they’ve decided to take it upon themselves to make sure the game – or something like it – becomes a reality.

In an interview with USGamer, Dalton said it is now a community project. The new game won’t use any of Notch’s code nor will it go by the same name. Moving forward, it’ll simply be known as Project Trillek and there are no plans to monetize it once it’s ready to launch.

It’s not the best outcome for gamers that were looking forward to 0x10c but perhaps it’s better than nothing. Project Trillek will still retain the same gameplay concept of humans navigating space and managing a spaceship. It’s not exactly a new concept but some features, like a fully functional 16-bit CPU, have certainly piqued the interest of diehard fans.

No word yet on when Project Trillek will be complete.

Permalink to story.

Funny how Notch's ambitions have diminished as his back account has grown.

Little harsh don't you think? I'll admit Minecraft is the source of his income, but it's mostly only popular due to it's openness from what I see. You can play the Classic for free, you can pay once and play any version as of now. Alpha, Beta, Snapshots, etc.

Cobalt and Scrolls are their other games, but ones he had nothing to do with. So many just regard him as the "Minecraft" creator, and it's a lot of weight on your shoulders. Especially from one individual, who happened to come across something actually fun.

Hell you can go mod the game, do whatever restrictions or anything to make it more enjoyable. There's no limits to anything with the game itself, aside from your time spent on whatever you wish. Be it taking up coding for your own mods, or anything else really.

Also feel free to ask him, about linking this in the article? Just so people can read a bit more, instead of taking this at face value.

Honestly, I don't mind what he does with the games. Although it's interesting that you say he has nothing to do with the other two games Mojang is developing. That, combined with the facts that he hasn't been the lead developer for Minecraft for years and he just cancelled this game, it makes me wonder what the hell he's actually doing... he[FONT=Helvetica Neue] [/FONT]wants to experiment and develop and think and tinker and tweak, just not finish any of those projects for his fans apparently.

But that all aside, the big problem I always had with Notch is his inability to follow through with almost anything he says. I still remember a couple years ago when he said he was going to be developing a modding api and a brand new launcher/social media/friends list service and none of that was ever done (unless you count the new launcher that they just recently did and he most likely had no part in).

No, I think his problem is that he's lazy, incredibly immature, and doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Just look at how he handles public and serious matters. Sure, the whole "scrolls" lawsuit was ridiculous. He still shouldn't have acted like an 8-year-old and rallied his horde of fans in defense.

I love Minecraft, but I won't be supporting anymore of this guy's nonsense.

Back