Mass Effect: Andromeda Graphics Performance Tested

As if the controversy surrounding this game wasn't bad enough, Bioware also had to make the Frostbite engine look bad.

Oh it gets worse...
A Bioware dev had the nerve to tweet they were getting 60fps @ 4K with a 1080 Ti.

No CPU testing? Or has there been a bit much of that recently?

Final Thoughts
Ideally I would have liked to include some more tests such as quality scaling results for say the GTX 1060 and RX 480, but I simply ran out of time thanks to Origin constantly locking me out for 24 hours after swapping components. That being the case, I will aim to add the GeForce GTX 700 series and Radeon 200 series later this week followed by some CPU testing.

As if the controversy surrounding this game wasn't bad enough, Bioware also had to make the Frostbite engine look bad.

Oh it gets worse...
A Bioware dev had the nerve to tweet they were getting 60fps @ 4K with a 1080 Ti.

Well if you turn the settings down all the way and only focus on resolution I'm sure that it's possible.;)

30 - 40 percent utilization of a 7700k at 4.9 GHz. You can figure out the performance of your CPU from there. Pretty much any recent quad core should be fine. You will lose FPS at lower frequencies as usual.

If anything RAM scaling would be more warranted, given the amount of RAM this game uses.

From page 1:

Since Origin locks you out for 24 hours after five hardware changes (graphics card or CPU), testing was painfully slow and in the end I had to purchase three accounts so I could test 15 configurations per day for this performance review. Unfortunately, this meant I wasn't able to do the usual CPU testing alongside the GPU benchmarks, so that might come in an update later.

Ideally I would have liked to include some more tests such as quality scaling results for say the GTX 1060 and RX 480, but I simply ran out of time thanks to Origin constantly locking me out for 24 hours after swapping components.
Quite honestly if the publisher's platform is preventing you from properly testing a game, you should add that as a negative when it comes to reviewing it. There's nothing to stop them from issuing special "reviewer keys" that permit a lot more hardware changes within a short space of time (say 100 vs the usual 5).

Ideally I would have liked to include some more tests such as quality scaling results for say the GTX 1060 and RX 480, but I simply ran out of time thanks to Origin constantly locking me out for 24 hours after swapping components.
Quite honestly if the publisher's platform is preventing you from properly testing a game, you should add that as a negative when it comes to reviewing it. There's nothing to stop them from issuing special "reviewer keys" that permit a lot more hardware changes within a short space of time (say 100 vs the usual 5).
This is a performance review, not a game review. Unless you plan on swapping hardware at the same rate this will not be an issue for you.

the min AMD requirement is the FX-6 and the FX-8 for recommended, three live gerbils on a tread wheel should be able to run it or the real world Intel equivalent; intel i3-3210 for min and intel i5-2400 for recommended

Last edited:
Since Origin locks you out for 24 hours after five hardware changes (graphics card or CPU), testing was painfully slow and in the end I had to purchase three accounts so I could test 15 configurations per day for this performance review.
A GPU change? Really EA/Origin?
That company has entitlement tattooed to their forehead.
Oh EA, your just so bad@ss, let us bow our heads to your greatness. (n)

It would be good to see how the flagship GPU's of past generations stack up in performance. It will be quite revealing whether it is worth buying newer low-mid market GPU or older high performance GPU.

I look forward to seeing how the GTX 780 performs, although I fear the worst. Perhaps if I drop the graphics quality, it'll be playable at 1440p.
I'll be holding off on this game for at least a few weeks after launch. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided irritated me - the graphics performance was fine for me but the story was a serious letdown after the previous game and I never finished it. I wanted Dishonored 2 but haven't purchased it yet due to the many complaints on the PC. I need to see how this game fares in terms of storyline and performance on my GTX780 / 3570K / 16GB DDR3. The facial animation is a huge letdown already and I believe the voice-acting is mostly terrible as the actors read off a script without seeing the context. I'm a huge ME trilogy fan but I'm worried about this one.

Oh it gets worse...
How EA managed to cripple the Frostbite with an in house developer shows that either, Bioware is an inept developer, or that DICE is horrible in Support. I don't plat at 4k but I do have a 1080Ti. You're right, bragging 60fps with e 1080Ti ... is not bragging.

I noticed Nvidia came out with a new driver today for Mass effect 378.92 which seem to have improved performance. Not sure if you used this one or .78

Thanks the benchies. Stinks Origin is so picky about hardware =\

I noticed Nvidia came out with a new driver today for Mass effect 378.92 which seem to have improved performance. Not sure if you used this one or .78

Thanks the benchies. Stinks Origin is so picky about hardware =\

I can confirm that the new Nvidia driver does nothing to improve performance, it merely adds the SLI profile.

Also yep Origin sucks ;)

For how it looks and the engine it's using... the game seems to be unpolished and unoptimised.

clearly a first for a console port to the PC
I actually doubt this was a console port to the PC. There are mostly two main scenarios which developers choose to focus on when developing, optimizing, and balancing their games;

1) Lead platform is PC, meaning it is generally nVidia optimized.
2) Lead platform is console, meaning it is GCN optimized.

This game seems more to be a PC port to the consoles. There's a reason why neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One can maintain a stable framerate in this game. The game clearly has nVidia optimizations looking at the PC performance, and well, consoles are GCN.

Oh and small detail of geo-locked versions. Let's not forget about how EA/BW screwed people in multiple countries. I had to buy another key for 'international' version to access full English support. Otherwise I would stuck with some crap you can't even understand. 150$+ for a game to support English menus... I never thought it's possible. Unfortunately I can't, just can't move past anything ME and ignore it.

Of course I can't get refund for geo-locked version because I will lose all benefits of pre-order. EA/BW, you bloody buttholes.

I know it's not graphic performance related, but let's not gloss over this f***ed up approach.

Back