Mass Storage Devices Not Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some other threads with problems similar to mine, but with some distinguishable differences. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer on my problem:

First some basic info on my system:
- Windows Vista 32 bit, have latest service pack
- Toshiba Satellite

When I plug in any USB mass storage device (i.e. thumb drives, my JVC digital camcorder), my computer recognizes that they are there, but I cannot open them. To be more specific:

I plug in my JVC, I hear the notification, and my file copying software for the camera launches. However, when I try to access the drives (it takes two, (F:) & (G:), it cannot access them. Furthermore, when I click on the backup option it says that no device is plugged in.

When I plug in my thumb drive, I hear the notification, but then the autolaunch doesn't happen. I then go to my computer and click on the drive (E:), and windows says that the drive has to be formatted before it can be used... never had that happen before. Any how, I finally tried formatting one of my thumb drives and it couldn't successfully format it either.

I have no idea why this is happening, but I do know when it started...

I have a Sandisk Cruizer. It has always run fine on my computer, but I had it set-up to run as a storage device only (i.e. without the programs option). However, one day I decided to try and pull some files from another computer which it had never been used on. So I plug it in and it ends up installing the Sandisk software on it with the drive partitions and protections for running programs and all that jazz. I then decided to go back and change the settings on the drive to remove that and just make it a storage device for that computer. So it works and I can read it fine on the other computer. However, I came back and plugged it into mine and I get the formatting requirement notification mentioned above. Ever since then I have not been able to use ANY mass storage decides on my computer.

I could see how this could effect the Sandisk device, but why everything else?

Can anyone offer the reason and hopefully a solution for this?

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure it's a driver-related issue, but I can't tell you exactly which one since I don't know. All I can tell you is that after doing various driver updates on two different PCs (one notebook with Windows Vista 32-bit and one desktop running Windows 7 64-bit) I had the EXACT same issue happen.

When I rolled the drivers back everything worked again.

I'm reasonably certain your issue is due to a driver conflict.

Thanks for the insight. I actually thought it might be a driver issue at first, but none of the drivers can be rolled back. I went to my device manager and tried every which way, but none of the drivers have the option of being rolled back.

Thank you for trying. Any other thoughts?

> Interesting coincidence. Here;s a draft version of a post i'm working on....
> Try removing the disk filters (as your problem is with your disks). Not sure if filters are your problem but maybe...
> Let's see if it makes any difference as your case sounds like it might be a filter issue
> After removing filters, test your Sandisk Cruzer as if a filter problem i'm guessing it's due to JVC

/* edit */
> Actually, before attempting to remove your filters, per instructions below, why don't you first capture a copy of what your filters currently look like
> Download Filter Driver Load Order Tool
> For one of your problem disks, select the San Disk, click the Clipboard button then paste into your next post so i can see that as well
> Then please do the same for the JVC also

[center]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to check for Filter Driver Issues[/center][center][/center][center][/center][center][/center]
Think of filter drivers (more simply called "filters") as device driver "add-on" parts
> Filters are intended to work with and augment device driver functionality
> Filters intercept (and can alter) the I/O data stream between a Windows application and a hardware device

• Filters are sometimes provided by 3rd party vendors to support their products (such as disk backup and CD/DVD burning products)
  • Filter providers may be someone other then Microsoft or your CD/DVD / disk drive hardware vendor
  • As a result, 3rd party filters
    • Don't always work well with all existing device drivers and hardware
    • Don't always work well with each other
      > i.e. they may not work right with the other 3rd party filters running on the computer
  • Plus
    > Filters sometimes get corrupted
    > Filters sometimes don't get removed when the product (that installed it) is, itself, uninstalled
To learn more about filters
  • To learn more about filters see "Tutorial: Understanding Device Drivers and Filters"
  • To easily view and get info about disk and CD/DVD filters on your computer, use "Filter Driver Load Order" tool (click here)
Symptoms of Filter Problems
Fact is, most people aren't aware of filters so they're easily over-looked as a problem source. Possible symptoms of filter related problems include:
  • Devices (such as disks and CD/DVDs) that appear in Device Manager but not in My Computer or Explorer
  • Computer can't detect a CD/DVD or can't write to writable media
  • USB devices (such as iPods and Disks) that don't seem to get detected
    > Note there are still many other reasons for undetected USB devices
    > So try fixing filters but don't get hung up on filters as "must be" the cause
  • A persistent driver error code equal to: 10, 19, 31, 32 or 39
    > To see the error code in Device Manager, rt click the device and look on the General tab
How to Fix Filter Problems
Instructions below for how to remove filters. Some important things to note:
  • You must reboot before re-testing
  • After removing filters, you may need to reinstall 3rd party disk and CD/DVD products if they no longer function correctly
    > The instructions below can remove all your 3rd party filters
    > Removing all filters can remove a faulty filter and fix your problem BUT
    > Removing all filters may also remove a filter still needed by a disk or CD/DVD product to work correctly
    > If you find a disk or CD/DVD product not working after removing filters, uninstall then reinstall the product
Methods to fix CD/DVD Problems
> Try these methods (based on your OS)
Methods to fix Disk Problems
> Try these methods (based on your OS)
How to Remove Filters from the Registry
This method explains how to look for and delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the registry. Note
> You can use this method to view/modify registry data for device class=CDROM or class= DiskDrive
> Choose the class based on whether it's CD/DVDs or disks with the problem
> If you see subkeys named: UpperFilters or LowerFilters, rt click to delete them (example below)
  1. We'll use the Regjump tool to help you navigate to the correct registry key
    > Download Regjump
    > Unzip it and save the unpacked files in C:\Windows\system32
  2. Open a command prompt window
    > For XP, click Start->Run, enter: cmd
    > For Vista, you must open an elevated command prompt for Regjump to work. (For instructions click here
  3. Copy / paste one of the following commands after the command prompt
    > The registry editor (regedit) should open and take you directly to the key
    > Check the class to verify you are looking at the right key (see example below)
    Code:
    To check for disk filters (where class= [B]DiskDrive[/B])
        [B]regjump HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}[/B]

To check for CD/DVD filters (where class= [B]CDROM[/B])
        [B]regjump HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}[/B]
    [*]If you see subkeys named: UpperFilters or LowerFilters, rt click to delete them
    • If you don't see the subkeys, then no filters exist
    • If you see UpperFilters.bak or LowerFilters.bak you don't need to remove them
    [*]Exit the Registry Editor and reboot

regfiltersbarttrim.png

Hey Lookin Around,

Here is the filter information you asked for:

JVC:
(E:) Drive-
----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order

Upper Class Filter: PartMgr
Device Object: JVC GZ-MG360 USB Device
Lower Filter Drivers: No Lower Filter Drivers specified for this device

Driver Name: partmgr.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Partition Management Driver
File Version: 6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) [6.0.6001.18000]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 6.0.6001.18000 [6.0.6001.18000]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

(F:) Drive -
Filter Driver Load Order

Device Object: JVC GZ-MG360 USB Device

SanDisk Cruzer
Filter Driver Load Order

Device Object: SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device

I'm not sure that specifies all that you need to see, but I hope it helps. I appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks!

Hmmmm....

Well, actually nothing out of the ordinary with the filter data you provided. So, on the one i don't think filters are your problem. (you did this before trying to remove filters, correct? i assume you haven't removed them yet - and doesn't look like you need to)

On the other hand.... i believe the version numbers i see in the data tell me you're running Vista SP1 (and not SP2 - which is the latest).

Could you confirm your SP level? Click Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> System Tools –> System Information. What does it indicate?

Let's try this
1) Unplug your USB flash and JVC then see this post for [post=727106]How to use the DriveCleanupTool[/post].
> Next replug ONLY the San Disk Cruzer
> Can you access the flash drive (note if the San Disk has U3 enabled it appears as multiple devices including a CD drive and a disk drive. Be sure to test the disk drive)

2) Do you have any JVC software installed? If you installed their product, try uninstalling it and repeating 1) above

3) Upgrade to Vista SP2 and then keep re-running Windows Update till it says no more updates. Then re-test (retrying the above as well)

I ran the drivecleanup and I got a similar screen as the one you posted, showing 29 USB devices removed. However, below is it then runs out those 29 devices with "USB device to remove: [name of device here]" and then closes with, "29 USB devices not removed.

Any idea why it is not successfully removing the devices?

1) Were all your USB storage devices (disks, CD/DVD, JVC cam) disconnected when you ran the tool?
2) Could you copy/ paste the output into a text file and attach the file to a post? for how to copy/paste from a command prompt window, see this post

** EDIT **
ALSO! Did you run it from an ELEVATED command prompt window (admin rights would be required since you are running Vista!!)

Ok, so I got the drive cleanup to work by using the Elevated prompt. So it removed all of the drives successfully. I then restarted my computer, plugged in my JVC and still won't read it.

Any other ideas on how to fix it?

thanks!

*correction, it reads that the drive is there, it reinstalled the drivers for it when I plugged it in. I simply cannot access it, and if I try to do so from My Computer it says the same thing about it needing to be formatted.

but what about other USB drive (like your San Disk or other flash, etc)

can you access them with or without problem?

Go ahead and next upgrade to SP2 (see my link in prior post) The upgrade should go without problem but is still wise to first backup your stuff to be safe.

Don't know if SP2 will make the difference but is the next best step before we do anything else.

btw....

After upgrading to SP2, try to do these tests if you can

1) Plugin/access your San Disk on your computer
2) Try plugging in your San Disk on a different computer to see if it still connects OK
3) Can you get a different USB drive or thumb drive (not a San Disk Cruzer) and test it on your computer (and if it fails also test it on another computer)

Also...
1) Did you ever install any JVC application on your computer?
2) Can you access/see the files on the JVC using just the camera itself?
> Also, check the JVC manual about connecting USB as sometimes some devices require you also select a specific setting on the camera to allow Windows to mount it as a USB drive
3) For that matter, what is the model # of your JVC camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back