Mastermind behind Uber hack and GTA 6 leak declared unfit for trial

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The teenager allegedly behind the infamous Grand Theft Auto 6 leak, as well as a hack on Uber, has been deemed mentally unfit to stand trial in a London court. It means that the jury will only determine whether the member of the Lapsus$ hacking group committed the crimes he is accused of, rather than judging him guilty or not guilty.

It was in mid-September last year when Uber announced it was investigating a cybersecurity incident that compromised many of its internal systems, giving the hacker, who said he was just 18 years old, almost complete access to the company's network. The breach was said to be worse than the 2016 hack that exposed the details of 57 million Uber customers.

While that incident brought quite a bit of attention, it was nothing compared to what happened next. The same hacker that compromised Uber's network leaked a swathe of content for what is arguably the most anticipated game ever: GTA 6. It included test build videos and screenshots, most of which were removed after Take-Two issued copyright strikes against the hosts. He also attempted to negotiate a deal with Rockstar, asking for a five-figure sum in return for not leaking its games' source codes.

It was only a couple of days later when the City of London police arrested the alleged hacker, Arion Kurtaj, thanks to assistance from the FBI and NCCU. Reuters reports that he is accused of causing almost $3 million of damage to Uber and accessing around 5,000 Revolut customers' information. Kurtaj is also accused alongside a 17-year-old of blackmailing BT Group (Britain's biggest broadband provider) and mobile operator EE between July and November 2021; they demanded a $4 million ransom. The pair are also alleged to be behind a hack on Nvidia.

Prosecutors say the younger of the pair hacked the City of London Police's cloud storage weeks after the force arrested him in connection with the attack on BT and EE.

The 12 offenses Kurtaj faces include three counts of blackmail, two counts of fraud and six charges under the Computer Misuse Act. He previously pleaded guilty to one count of fraud, two offences under the Computer Misuse Act, and breaching bail conditions.

Kurtaj has been assessed by psychiatrists as not fit to stand trial. In the UK, this means that someone does not have the capacity to stand trial due to a disability or mental disorder. This disability must be such that they cannot understand the charges, the nature of the proceedings, or the evidence.

Permalink to story.

He doesn't understand the environment that surround him... but is able to hack multinational companies?

I guess I don't understand either...

As a WAG, he could be autistic, and someone should have been monitoring his computer activity.

EDIT: My Wild A$$ Guess is, he could be autistic

Last edited:
What does WAG mean, our world of acronyms has me constantly confused and I doubt this kid is what google is telling me.
It's either "Wife And Girlfriends" or "Wild As*ed Guess" but, seeing as he's an 18 year old computer nerd, I'm guessing it's not the former.

Regards whether he's unfit to stand trial - I call BS.

He doesn't understand the environment that surround him... but is able to hack multinational companies?

The trick is that if an insanity declaration is enforced, they can keep him institutionalized until he is either declared fit for trial, or dies of old age. So, it's not necessarily a, "get out of jail free card". more like "out of the frying pan into the fire"..
Also, if and when they declare him fit for trial, it might be up to the court to determine whether his time in an institution is, "credit for time served, or the entire sentence is served after his release from the "Loonie bin".

Besides, either way, MI-6 would likely get the first crack at recruiting him as opposed to he CIA...

I doubt autism would be a significant enough diagnosis to get him out of the trial, but I admit I'm not familiar with the UK court standards.

Clearly neither of those hacked companies, Uber and Take Two do not understand environment that surround them too. At least the security policies.

The imbecile tyke is smart enough to hack anything, but he's too mentally "challenged" to stand trial??

Try to apply this lunacy (pun fully intended) to some poor shlub who stole a loaf of bread to feed his family!

Back