Max temp to allow EVGA GT 240 before cranking fan up?

Debbie23

Several mos ago replaced OEM GPU (that ran hot) w/ EVGA GT240. When hot weather got here, I noticed GT240 seemed to run hotter than I think it should w/ normal browsing.
But, also noticed fan speed really didn't increase much until temps were in high 60's - even then fan might run only 50 - 55%. I can get GPU up past 60 C just clicking back / forth on some images - like Mozilla themes.
Yes, the GPU fins / fan are clean - took 'em outside & blew out. Can see down thru the fins w/ a flashlight to check. Really wasn't dirty, so made no diff under type of use described.

Installed MSI's Afterburner & tried the "User defined software automatic fan control" - which controls the fan well (SpeedFan didn't) & easy on resources.

Question - at what temp would you really crank up the fan to avoid ever getting above that temp? Specs or manuals don't give this info.
Obviously, the stock setup wasn't effective. Right now, have Afterburner set to 55% at 50 C, 65% @ 60 C. (see graph) This may not be running the fan high enough to keep it below 60 C - still gets there opening a lot of pages. Once fan kicks in @ 65%, temp drops fairly quickly & running at that % easily drops it below 60 C (or 50). Should note - no other components get nearly as high, so doesn't seem to be a problem w/ the case.

I know some report GPUs running 60 (140 F) & even higher, but seems kinda high & hard on components if happens very often. Still have a lot of room to increase fan speed, but don't want to be overly concerned if 60 C isn't an issue. I could raise it to 65% or higher @ 50 C, if necessary.

This also makes me question effectiveness of the factory thermal paste, as I've read so many complain about. That maybe I should think about redoing the paste.

Thanks.

Attachments

• afterburner fan settings_2011-07-03.png
    afterburner fan settings_2011-07-03.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi Debbie,
GPU' s are designed to run warmer than CPU's so while cooler is better, 50-60c is nothing to get overly concerned with. increasing the airflow through your case to lower temps would be preferable to running the cards fan at 90% constantly if you can. The upper thermal limit for GPU's (AMD & Nvidia) is 105c. while thats to warm as far as I am concerned, If you can keep idle temps below 50c and load temps to 85c or less, the card will probably outlast your use for it.
Hope that helped :)

60°C isn't really that hot in the greater scheme of things-although it's a bit high for non-3D applications. If the fan noise isn't too intrusive then you can ramp the fan profile harder (kick in sooner at a higher r.p.m.) -all a matter of personal taste. It will also be a case of trial and error to what temps are recorded for any given fan rotation speed- simply because chassis fans (and the volume of air they can move), their location (intake/exhaust), obstructions (cable management/number of components used- sound card/harddrives etc.), chassis internal volume, and the airflow/ventilation of the room -i.e. placing a computer under a desk might hinder airflow, as does lot leaving adequate space behind the computer for exhausting hot air are all variable for every user.

Reapplying some new (better quality) thermal paste is an option. The generic stuff is OK, but tends to be trowelled on like peanut butter on a fat kids sandwich. If you're planning on going this route-the thermal paste, not the sandwich- then run the graphics card for a short time before removing it and disassembling the card -the heat will soften the TIM already applied. Also turn the heatsink fan to break the seal between the heatsink and GPU. Pulling the heatsink/fan straight from the GPU can damage the GPU and it's PCB connections.

All Nvidia GPU's (and AMD for that matter) are rated for 105°C operation

EDIT: beat me to the punch red. That's what happens when you write a reply then get sidetracked before posting!

EDIT: beat me to the punch red. That's what happens when you write a reply then get sidetracked before posting!

Bwahahaha! :wave:

Reapplying some new (better quality) thermal paste is an option. The generic stuff is OK, but tends to be trowelled on like peanut butter on a fat kids sandwich

Good point, I am convinced that at the factory they pile it on because they are mounted GPU side down. It is entirely possible that you have one that has a healthy bead of excess thermal compound on all four sides creating a little heat dam. replace it and you might see temps fall a good 5-8c just from that.

Thanks Red & n/0, for helpful replies.

I did play w/ the fan speed curve & setting it at 65% @ 50 C, then linear on up, keeps it from getting much over 60. Drops quickly once GPU usage slows.

80 - 85 C (176 - 185 F) seems scorching for fairly inexpensive electronics? They're not exactly putting space shuttle quality components on these.

I believe my case fans could also be bumped up - esp. top one - it's almost silent & low CFMs.
Need to find a a fan control pgrm that'll work on my ASUS (HP) mobo. Speedfan won't allow / show any options to change speeds (even GPU) - just reports speeds / temps. Haven't tried Riva Tuner yet.

If that doesn't help some, will look at putting on some quality TIM.

Red,
It is entirely possible that you have one that has a healthy bead of excess thermal compound on all four sides creating a little heat dam.
Exactly how would it have formed a heat dam? Do you mean it oozed out & partly blocked the tubes (rectangle) openings between fins? I didn't inspect it THAT closely when blew it out - not sure if I could see what you're talking about w/o taking it apart?

Red,
Quote: It is entirely possible that you have one that has a healthy bead of excess thermal compound on all four sides creating a little heat dam.

Exactly how would it have formed a heat dam? Do you mean it oozed out & partly blocked the tubes (rectangle) openings between fins? I didn't inspect it THAT closely when blew it out - not sure if I could see what you're talking about w/o taking it apart?

What I mean is that excess use of thermal compound squeezes to around the edge of the GPU chip and collects heat rather than transferring it directly to the base of the vga cooler. You would have to remove the cooler to see if this is the case.

80 - 85 C (176 - 185 F) seems scorching for fairly inexpensive electronics? They're not exactly putting space shuttle quality components on these.

I know your instincts tell you that, but those are not at all unusual temps for GPU's. A card that runs in the 60c's loaded is considered a cold one :)

Check this temp list out.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-560-twin-frozer-ii-review/9

The average idle temp is about 40c, and the average load temp is around 80c....your okay. Do what you can with some quality thermal compound and fan setting and it will live a good lifespan.

Thanks for the good link. I see many cards listed do run 70 - 80 C under load.
Quite amazing, since if any other component got that high - CPU, HDDs, Optical drive - pretty much anything that reports temps, people would freak out & component would likely have failed.

Replies here gave the info I needed - thanks. You & others made mention upper limit "rating" of AMD / Nvidia GPUs was ~ 105C. Now that I enter the "correct" search term on Nvidia's FAQ site, I found reference to the 105 C upper limit. I guess by those standards & temp charts from Guru3d, my card is relatively cool. Even though 176 F will burn the crap out of you!

I still think I may need to bump up case Fan(s) because tower sits in a pc desk cubby. CPU temps ARE something to be worried about. Haven't seen my Q4 temps get high yet - and don't want to.

Back