May have blown my graphics card

Hey guys, I'll try to make this as short as possible. I have a gaming PC Asus Rampage II Extreme with (2x) ATI 5970 Video Cards and I'm wondering if one of them may be blown? It seems that when both of them are plugged in that the PC will just freeze before it boots up. Well I pulled the power cords to the bottom card out and found out it boots up just fine? I was tinkering with them because my crossfire would not show up on my Catalyst control manager and I thought it to be one of my cards. Another thing I find odd though, Is on my display manager it tells me both cards are working fine..? Any help from someone would be really appreciated as I'm going crazy trying to diagnose the problem here! Thanks Guys!

try checking the cables to the graphics card, it could be faulty!! But you say the computer won't boot up if there both plugged in, Have you tried using the cards seperately to see if they both work? If the graphics card is no good then you will automatically know by testing them individually!! but first try using a new cable then do the other step with card!!

Ok, I plugged both sets of cables into the top card alone and both times it booted up fine. When I plug either one into the bottom card it won't but up at all. Now when I plug both of them in the computer will freeze at the windows icon screen.. I'm really thinking it's my bottom card, Any thoughts, Thanks for the help!

Also forgot to mention... On my CCC I have no option whatsoever to run crossfire mode,Even though my crossfire cable is connected?

1. Have you tried swapping the cards in the slots? Take both out. Plug one into the top slot, verify it boots. Take that one out. Plug the second one into the top slot, verify it boots. Then you know that both cards are working.

2. Can your power supply handle the cards? You don't mention anything about the rest of the PC, just the motherboard and the cards.

3. Your post about "both sets of cables into the top card alone" has me really confused. What do you mean by this? Power cables?

The Pc is liquid cooled with a Koolance system mainly meaning the cards are taken out of their shell and installed together on cooling blocks.Taking them out and swapping them is a major job that I don't think I could do myself... The power supply is a Tagen 1100w unit. Sorry for the confusion I didn't build this PC so my way of descibing it is a bit confusing... It's as far as I know a Intel I7 975 Extreme Dual Xfire Pc, 12 GB Corsair Dominator, 2, I think,Veloceraptor drives Raid 0,And the entire pc is cooled via, Cooling Blocks... Anything else you would like to know that I didn't mention?As for the "both sets of cables" thing, All I meant was.. There are 2x sets of cables and each one goes to a card, Each one is red and blue, Well all I meant was I was swapping them around to make sure the cables all worked fine and that it was not the cables... Sorry for the confusion! Does this help at all? I can take Pics...

Is the system still under warranty?

If both cards show up in the Device Manager (i.e. you have two HD5900 entries) do either have a yellow notification triangle attached? If no then...

Check your drivers. The latest whql drivers are Catalyst 11.3 (this is the Vista/Win7 64-bit version) -if you do not have them I would suggest you install. Also install the ATI Catalyst Application Profiles application 11.3CAP1 (this the CrossfireX addition). There is an 11.4 preview driver, but at this point in time I would suggest you stick with WHQL signed drivers.

Download GPU-Z. Run the program and click on the "Sensors" tab to make sure everything is being recorded. Click the second card from the dropdown tab (lower left hand corner) and check the readings of this also. If you are unsure of what you are seeing then post a screenshot. Probably best to have two instances of GPU-Z running -one for each card.
if all seems fine there then...

Have your power supply checked -I would do this in any case, since the power draw of your system is substantial ( 150-200w CPU/chipset + 2 x 300w HD5970's - assuming nothing is OC'ed). I would get the supply checked professionally, and since the system is prebuilt I would assume that the cabling is routed and possibly secured in place- so unless you feel confident in unplugging the cables (24 pin motherboard, 8 pin EPS12V, video card cables, SATA power, molex for watercooling etc.) AND reinstalling them later I'd get the whole system in front of someone qualified with a voltmeter/multimeter (maybe a house call to avoid needing to re-bleed the watercooling loop). Depending on the chassis and where the radiator placement is you might have difficulty removing the PSU in any event.

Post back once you have checked off the list and can provide some more info.

Back