Melinda French Gates will no longer give most of her wealth to the Gates Foundation

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Melinda French Gates is reportedly no longer planning to donate the majority of her wealth to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The bulk of her fortune will now be spread out among several organizations including one she founded in 2015 to help women and families in the US.

Sources familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal that French Gates, whose divorce to Bill Gates was finalized in August 2021, would instead spread her wealth among various philanthropic endeavors.

The couple created the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000, and a decade later, French Gates committed to giving away the majority of her resources in her lifetime. In her most recent Giving Pledge letter, French Gates reaffirmed the commitment, noting that she recognized “the absurdity of so much wealth being concentrated in the hands of one person.”

The only responsible thing to do with a fortune that size, she said, was to give it away as thoughtfully and impactfully as possible. “The ultimate goal of any philanthropist should be to render the need for philanthropy obsolete,” French Gates added.

French Gates in 2015 founded Pivotal Ventures to identify and develop solutions to help women and families in the US. In her 2021 Giving Pledge letter, French Gates said she will continue to seek out new partners, ideas and perspectives both through the Gates Foundation and Pivotal Ventures.

A spokesperson for the Gates Foundation declined to comment when reached by The Wall Street Journal.

Melinda French Gates has a net worth of $6.2 billion according to Forbes. Bloomberg's Billionaires Index puts her fortune closer to $11.4 billion.

Image credit: Chris Ratcliffe, Bloomberg

Permalink to story.

Both Melinda and Bill are good people. I'm with Melinda on this one, because I would rather spread it around than dump the majority of my money all in one place.

Andrew Carnegie was quoted as saying spend 1/3 of your life getting as much education as you can. Spend 1/3 of your life earning as much money as you can.
Spend 1/3 of your life giving away as much money as you can.

He gave away over $350 million dollars, which was in early 1900's money.

Andrew Carnegie was quoted as saying spend 1/3 of your life getting as much education as you can. Spend 1/3 of your life earning as much money as you can.
Spend 1/3 of your life giving away as much money as you can.

He gave away over $350 million dollars, which was in early 1900's money.
And I frequented one of his libraries

So you think he hanged around with Epstein for good reasons?

Thank god I'm not the only one that knows what's up. I made a comment and I got banned on Fakebook. I have been keeping track of Bill with both the divorce and his role on COVID.

I use to respect Bill but the more research I do the more I hate him. There was an older lady that posted a news paper in her country as proof that was front page about Bill and the virus but the papers were removed and no one talked about it. I will try and find the pic since I saved it.

She was just a humble Microsoft employee when she met bill, had other boyfriend's apparently.

So the vast majority of her wealth is from him then I suppose? I guess it's one way to stick your fingers up at your ex.

She's worth 6.2 billion.... thanks to Bill's take-back-home income. She should give back she didn't earn herself back to Bill, no?

These nuptial divorce jackpots are getting more and more PITA nowadays. Wives grabbing husbands fortune and run away.

She's worth 6.2 billion.... thanks to Bill's take-back-home income. She should give back she didn't earn herself back to Bill, no?

These nuptial divorce jackpots are getting more and more PITA nowadays. Wives grabbing husbands fortune and run away.
Do I detect a bit if misogyny here? Run for office if you don't like the laws. Bill could have demanded a pre-nup, but he failed on that, too.

So you think he hanged around with Epstein for good reasons?
Seriously, why do you think they divorced? Does anyone think it a coincidence that they part ways around the same time that the Epstein nonsense came to a head? Bill is known to have associated with Epstein. Doesn't take a genius to do that math.. This is the same reason Prince Andrew was removed from his Royal duties and is now shunned by the whole of the Royal family.

I side with Melinda in many things. Bill cheated on her with teenagers. The guy is as much a d-bag as he always has been.

Seriously, why do you think they divorced? Does anyone think it a coincidence that they part ways around the same time that the Epstein nonsense came to a head? Bill is known to have associated with Epstein. Doesn't take a genius to do that math.. This is the same reason Prince Andrew was removed from his Royal duties and is now shunned by the whole of the Royal family.

I side with Melinda in many things. Bill cheated on her with teenagers. The guy is as much a d-bag as he always has been.
This right here. Good to see others that have commonsense and think outside the box. People call me crazy for saying what you said a while back.

Do I detect a bit if misogyny here? Run for office if you don't like the laws. Bill could have demanded a pre-nup, but he failed on that, too.
It's easy to being touchy and label everything as misogyny even when the incidents are so obvious. Move on.

lol That url alone is so shady looking I almost didn't click on it. But when I did it's some weird looking site with a documentary video? lol Yeah I'm not clicking that. Not sure why you are putting so much credit into a video in such a way.

Thanks for the laugh though.
LOL you are really out of the loop, and your excuse for dismissing it is hilarious.
Just FYI, Odysee is a YouTube alternative, based on blockchain, which is censorship free. And yes, Hardware Unboxed also has their channel on there:

Bill Gates has a very shady history, and considering Melinda was married so long to him, I can't say she's trustworthy. It's unclear why they divorced too. It does seem that she wants to distance herself slowly but surely from him, but, we'll see. At this point, it's all mere virtue signaling from them, in my view.

Just FYI, Odysee is a YouTube alternative, based on blockchain, which is censorship free. And yes, Hardware Unboxed also has their channel on there:
I actually didn't know about Odysee and I'm glad you linked this. It has a dislike button, it's already better than YouTube.

LOL you are really out of the loop, and your excuse for dismissing it is hilarious.

Bill Gates has a very shady history, and considering Melinda was married so long to him, I can't say she's trustworthy. It's unclear why they divorced too. It does seem that she wants to distance herself slowly but surely from him, but, we'll see. At this point, it's all mere virtue signaling from them, in my view.
I think we're done here.

Back