Memory advice for Asus Sabertooth X79 & I-7 3930

I need forum recommendations on good reliable memory sticks, 4x4 GB or 8x2 GB (don't sure which is better). Mostly PC will be using for games and some audio recording.
Don't know which clock 1866 or 2400 (O.C.) for motherboard will be better.
Can somebody share his experience with me?

Thank you!

First, you should know that X79 is the first (and only) consumer platform with a quad channel memory controller. That means for maximum memory performance you must use at least 4 DIMMs, populating channels A, B, C, and D.
The Sabertooth X79 originally supported up to only 1866 MHz, but I see the QVL lists kits up to 2400. http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=SABERTOOTH X79&hashedid=RPOIwd0pKLoXnbFV
If you buy a kit on this list, it has already been tested to work with your board, at least at stock CPU speeds. If you overclock your CPU (and you should with that unlocked processor), some of the higher speed RAM may not boot. I believe you'll be safe buying a 2133 kit, even one that's not on the QVL. I'm running Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 in my Asus P8Z77-V & i5-3570K system with great results, and it's not on my QVL. If you do go for the 2400, you should pick one of the 4x4GB kits from your QVL for assured compatibility. If all those are hard to find (or too expensive), roll the dice and get the kit you want, but make sure it's a name brand like Corsair, Adata, G.Skill, Patriot, Kingston HyperX, Crucial, etc., as they have reputations to preserve and do lots of testing on all platforms.
Also, check out this recent thread about whether or not fast RAM is worth the money - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191311

4x4GB is better than 8x2GB, fewer sticks is better (although you need at least 4 sticks in order for them to run in quad channel mode). To be honest any 1.5V 1600Mhz CAS 9 kit will be fine for your needs, with what you're doing you don't really need faster RAM (or the X79 platform for that matter, but that's another debate).

On an X79 board, your better off sticking with 4 sticks of ram at higher capacities than 8 sticks at a lower capacity. The reason as stated by hood above is the Quad Channel Memory controller, meaning that 4 sticks will get you the best speeds. I would suggest since you have a 3930k which is sandy bridge-E, not exceeding 1866 because the chip technically only supports up to DDR3 1600 (Officially supported being a key word in this) but I have seen and heard 1866 is pretty easily set, but beyond that is up in the air.

So my Advice, 4 sticks at 4gb of up to 1866 with some decent timings.

My Grandma has 1600 sticks in her coupon mining rig. I try to make my machine a little faster than Grandma's...

That's an interesting one, but honestly, going beyond 1866 on LGA 2011 has been known to be difficult. My advice is to not go much further than that unless you do not want to overclock much or spend time trying to make it stable.

Who is this guy and why should anyone listen to him? He talks down to his audience like a third grade school teacher. Is he having a very bad hair day or does he always look like that? And who cares if fast RAM doesn't boost frame rates? - everything isn't about gaming, and my frame rates are just fine without any help. Fast RAM is about increasing system throughput and complementing the increased speed of your CPU overclock, making it work together so that all operations run a little faster. For instance, like when you want all your FLACs converted to MP3s for use on a portable device or smaller storage system. With 1600 RAM it took me 7.5 hrs. (I have a large collection), but when I did it again for a friend after I got 2400 RAM it took only 6.5 hrs. - same folder size, same CPU speed, same type of drives. That's a 15% increase in speed. I'll take it! The 2400 kit cost me $15 more than the original 1600 kit ($65 vs $50 for 2x4GB). So if all you do is gaming, the benefit is small, but if you do other things with your rig, it's worth it. And isn't that what the video was basically saying?

Back