Memory Dump/BSOD/ntoskrnl.exe problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basics of the System:
Intel D975XBX2 M/B
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz Kentsfield
Win XPx64 SP2
8 GB DDR2 RAM

I started getting the occasional BSOD indicating a memory dump a couple weeks ago. It seems to happen when I'm doing multiple things, not always the same stuff though. The first time it happened I was ripping a DVD and watching a ripped file off of another drive. Last night I was running Tune-Up defrag and it happened again.
At first I thought it might be a heat problem with the CPU, so I started using the NVIDIA system monitor. At it's highest point, so far, the CPU runs as much as 80° C. I have also concurrently run SpeedFan and it gave a similar temperature for the CPU. That temp is a high point for CPU1, the monitor shows all 4 parts of the CPU separately. Right now they are: 57°/56°/48°/50° C give or take a °.
I have run MemTest86, it said there were no problems.

I'm attaching the first memory dump file, in .txt. The main thing it states is that the issue is "Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+2e890 )" and a lot of stuff about wrong symbols. Maybe someone with a lot more experience reading these things can decipher where the problem actually is. I made sure it includes the detailed debugging info.
I've learned a lot about this machine and how to fix problems, down to registry edits, but know nothing about symbols and why this would start just recently when I built the machine over a year ago.
I've found several threads similar to this, but this part (( nt+2e890 )) after the ntoskrnl.exe is always different, so I'm not sure those would apply.

- What is "too high" a temperature for this CPU?

- Are there other memory test that might find out if there's a problem there?

- If there is some kind of sharing error, how do I actually identify that? I know I can look in System Information, but I'm not sure how to read that info.

- If it's a CPU heat problem, how can I rectify that? I have 2 120mm case fans, a fan mounted on the heat dissipating fins of the CPU heatsync, and there an opening in the side panel right where the CPU fan is. How can I dissolve the stuff holding the heatsync to the CPU, if that is needed?

Thanks.

Your quickest fix mayl be a reinstall.
Your power supply is really marginal for the setup you have. You might want to take a look at the power supplies at www.Directron.com to see if there is an upgrade that will fit.

Also, you can run your version of Windows disk in repair mode (not Repair Console) and have a chance of fixing it without damaging your files.

I'm not sure how reinstalling will help if it's a hardware issue and I'm a little confused as to the power supply reference. Was there some info about the power supply in that file? I have a 700W P/S in the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back