Memory Dump Code 0x0000009c during Windows Installation

Hey there community,

I have a technical question that is beyond me and researching the dilema is coming up with solutions that I cannot perform to fix.

I want to install Windows 7 home premium into my new PC. Motherboard EVGA classified SR-2

Installing windows screen comes up, I select the hard drive to install the operating system on, it goes all well and good from there:

Copying windows files (Check)
Expanding Windows Files (Check)
Installing Features (Check)
Installing Updates (Check)
Computer Restarts (Check)

Basic operating system installation goes fine up to the restart for the software to complete its installation.
My computer restarts, the Windows installation goes through its completion and thats where I run into the problem.

Memory Dump:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

***STOP: 0x0000009c (0x0000000000000000,0FFFFF88003979c70, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000)

Here is where the research that I have done for a solution cant help me. Most of the complaints posted online require some kind of software download to run on my computer: Problem is that I need operating software that is currently operable on my machine to run it, let alone download. Which my computer is preventing me from doing so because it memory dumps during installation.

I have used three different hard drives on the installation, two Seagates SATA drives, and one Sandisk SSD. all three with the same result.

I have six RAM sticks in there and I pulled them down to just one to see if that was the hardware issue. Still the same problem.

I have pulled the Wi-Fi card out of the mother board to see if that was the hardware issue. Still the same result.

I have an 800W power supply
EVGA SR-2 Classified
(2x) Intel Xeon 5520 2.26Ghz LGA 1366
EVGA 550i graphics card
Corsair RAM Sticks (Which I cant remember the nomenclatures off the top of my head)

It has been suggested to take my hard drive and Windows home premium disc to another computer, and install it on my hard drive, take that hard drive back to my computer, boot it up, and run the solutions that I have previously found, mentioned above, and attempt to fix the problem. If of course it is a driver problem.

Any ideas on what it could be, and the solution that I have mentioned in the above paragraph as a recommended solution to my problem.

Incredibly frustrating I know. A 9c error is almost invariably a hardware problem (I'm sure you already learned that) and solutions can range from changing the bios memory timings to using the correct or updated drivers for some part of your system, such as video or audio or motherboard or wireless drivers.

Your problem of not being able to download anything without a working system is very easy to surmount, as long as you have a friend with a computer. You need to ask your friend to download the correct latest set of drivers for all the hardware you have. Copy them over on a memory stick.

Alternatively, ask the friend to create a bootable small linux on a CD, (e.g. puppy linux or Ubuntu) which you can then boot on your PC and explore the internet resources and download for yourself anything worth trying. The other thing a small linux does is enable you to confirm what is or is not working on your own PC, but without using Windows drivers to do it.

The point at which you get your crash is when the actual motherboard and video drivers come into use for the first time, so the top of the suspect list would be the video. Have you tried starting your PC in safe mode? You will need to get that going if you want to run any diagnostics or install new drivers in any case.

Installing to your own hard drive on a different PC is not going to be any help, because all the other hardware would be different, so the drivers used would be different, and would not work on your PC.

Last edited:
Back