"Memory Management" BSOD help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roymondo

My system crashes (BSOD 0x0000001A) after running for some minutes/hours/days (it is very variable - but if it is left powered up it usually crashes after a day or two). Sometimes it happens while I'm actually using the computer e.g. browsing the web, but it also happens when it has been left idle. I can't be 100% certain, but I don't *think* it has happened while playing any games etc.

I've been through the steps given in the thread "Before posting your minidumps, please read this.." but I don't detect any change in behaviour. In addition, I have tried swapping out RAM modules, and have installed some brand new Crucial modules in place of the Dell originals, again with no apparent change in behaviour.

I did have problems with crashes during AVG antivirus scans, but have since completely removed AVG (Free version) from my system and installed Bulldog AV instead.

I'm really looking for some pointers here as to where to start looking for whatever is causing my problem.

The machine in question is a Dell XPS 630i, with 4GB RAM and running WIndows Vista Home Premium (32 bit). I have attached the most recent minidumps.

Any help/pointers gratefully received.

Attachments

• Mini041609-01.dmp
    143.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks - I'll give Memtest another go (I have tried it, but not for 7 passes). I am a bit puzzled though as the problem appears to crop up with the OE Dell memory and with the shiny new Crucial memory with which I replaced it. Are there any other faults which would be likely to result in memory curruption?

Thanks - I'll give Memtest another go (I have tried it, but not for 7 passes). I am a bit puzzled though as the problem appears to crop up with the OE Dell memory and with the shiny new Crucial memory with which I replaced it. Are there any other faults which would be likely to result in memory curruption?

Crucial makes very good memory. Since your Vista is a 32-bit OS have you tried just running with 2 gigs? 32-bit OS will only recognize/utilize 3 to 3.25 gigs of RAM. If not, then try it and tell us if you gain stability.

Also, does the Crucial match your older Dell memory in every way, i.e., timings and voltage required?

OK - Have now left Memtest running all night and day. 30 passes with no errors reported. As far as I know, the Crucial memory matches the Dell stuff with respect to timings, voltage etc (although the original Dell setup was 4 x 1GB modules, whereas the Crucial setup is 2 x 2GB).

I'll try the PC with only 2GB.

Good diagnostic work. I am just wondering if your motherboard is setting the voltage correctly in the BIOS.

Do you know how to access your BIOS and what is the recommended voltage for both sets of RAM?

Hmm - I checked the BIOS on boot-up and saw that the memory voltage setting was "Auto" - with the actual setting being 1.85V. I have Sisoft Sandra installed, which showed that the voltage for my modules should be 1.80V. I have therefore changed this manually in the BIOS to 1.80V, but have left everything else unchanged (I work on the principle of only making one change at a time) so I'm still running the full 4GB for now.

I'm not sure how to change the memory timings, but I'll have a look at this if the system remains prone to crashing (which I won't know until it has been up for a few days at least).

Thanks very much for the help you've given me thus far - I'm not averse to getting my hands dirty but it really helps to have someone pointing me in the right direction!

You are doing the right thing by approaching it one step at a a time. Let us know if the memory settings to 1.8V does the trick.

Will do, but I'll only know if it has been successful after the system has been up and running for a few days. Now here's a thing - I've reviewed the datestamps on my minidump files, and for some reason the time between failures is often (but not always) 5 days. I wonder why that might be?

left the system up running overnight and all day/night Saturday, using it to play a few games, do a bit of web browsing and play music, all without any problem. Left it running Saturday night and Sunday morning, used it on Sunday again to play games, web browse, email etc, again with no problems. Sunday afternoon, some 5-10 minutes into a streamed Quicktime video and the thing fell over with the same BSOD error as before.

Now the more I think about it, I reckon a lot of the previous crashes have occurred while some sort of streamed video was being played. Is it possible that a problem with the graphics cards could cause this memory corruption? I have a pair of Nvidia 9800GT cards working together in SLI mode (drivers are as up to date as I can get).

For now I'll try downgrading to 2GB RAM and see if that helps.

How about trying just one video card at a time. It would be rare if faulty RAM always gave out bugcheck 1A. You would usually only get one every six crashes or so (if that).

The PC has now been running continuously for six days and no BSOD. Fingers crossed, I think this may be fixed...

Damn! Spoke too soon! Just a couple of hours after saying I thought it was fixed, the pesky PC has a hissy fit and crashes once again with a Memory Management BSOD.

The PC has now been running continuously for six days and no BSOD. Fingers crossed, I think this may be fixed...

Damn! Spoke too soon! Just a couple of hours after saying I thought it was fixed, the pesky PC has a hissy fit and crashes once again with a Memory Management BSOD.

Attach your minidump and have you considered what peterdiva recommends?

Minidump attached. I have considered the suggestion to remove one of the graphics cards but I'm committed to only changing one thing at a time. Removing the card is next on the list.

Attachments

• Mini050909-01.dmp
    155 KB · Views: 5
Error is 0x1A: Memory_Management and, believe it or not, it cited corrupted memory. This error is hardware related.

Memory Management" BSOD help needed

Hey Roymondo, this is crazy... ive been searching for help with this error for over 2 weeks now ...I also have a dell xps 630i with vista and 4 gigs of ram, and have exactly the same symptoms as you do! Dell has replaced my ram, motherboard ,and 9800gt. (also tried to raise the voltage to 2.10v on my ram).......and its still happening! The only thing that slowed down the bsod is installing vista on a different hard drive (i still get memory management errors but only 2 in the last week) Im talking to Dell now about getting my machine replaced.

That's not very encouraging at all :-(

How often was your computer crashing? Mine runs just fine for about five days then crashes with the BSOD "Memory management" error. How old is your machine?

Memory Management" BSOD help needed

Mine was crashing bad in the beginning,like once every couple hours. I was able to actually make it crash by running the vista experience index(to rate the machine).and whenever i format and first ran vista for the first time it also crashed when it was rating the computer.My machine is like 22 days old!

Ouch. I can happily run the Vista Experience Index widget (and any other benchmarking/testing program I've tried for that matter). I can also run 3D games etc, again without any problems. But every five days or so, the machine simply crashes with no warning.

See, now 3d games and the Vista Experience Index works fine when i installed vista on a new hard drive. but now its giving the bsod for no reason, and ive had only 2 or 3 in last couple days, just like your issue... heres the error .....The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x00005003, 0x8c200000, 0x00007be4, 0x03abf5d2). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 051009-16848-01. Dell wants to try 1 more thing before they replace my machine. They are sending me a vista preloaded hard drive,and want to see if im still getting the errors. I have a question for you Roymondo. Do you get other errors too, like super fetch stopped responding or readyboost shut down?

Yes, I do occasionally get the Superfetch has stopped responding error, and from time to time I get "Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working" (or similar text - definitely something about Host Process stopping working). It always seems to sort itself out after a few minutes though and as i understand it, it's typically caused by some piece of software not being quite 100% compatible with Vista. It's really Windows saying "Sorry, something has fouled up" and is apparently nothing to worry about unless it happens all the time or Windows crashes.

yes....Host Process stopping working..i get that a bunch of times..and in the event viewer it shows like 13 errors all at the same time! I think these problems are related!

Same here

Hi Guys,

I won't be able to help directly but I have the exact same issue as you have!!!
Here is my experience:
My system crashed the first time as I was installing Vista. Since then I have completed a cleaned install. Updated all the drivers and still got the same BSOD message on memory management. The code is always the same 0x0000001a.

I tested the memory with memtest and tried new ones (order from Dell) it is not that. I also try 1-2-3-4Gb as I read that the 630 with Vista was limited to 3Gb with no success either.
I got superfetch has stopped working, Host Services and other things...
Mozilla is also unstable.

I manage to get a crash everytime I use "picture software" such as Picasa, Canon utilities...But as you guys I don't get crash when playing games. Sometimes the games stop but I don't get BSOD.

I got my PC tested by Yoyotech in London, I discovered at my own cost that they are doing testing not repair they give me back my machine with the same error but charge me 50£ for testing the element and told me that everything is fine!!! Got the BSOD when I power my machine...

This is weird, let me know if you find a way to get around that.

Detail of the beast:
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9300) 2.5Ghz - 4 x 1333FSB - 6Mb L2 Cache - EM64T - Quad MultiCore

4096Mb DDR2 800Mhz Memory Dual Channel (4 x 1024Mb)

2 x 640Gb SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive

16x DVD+/-R/W Drive SATA
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive SATA
System Vista premium 32bits

i can play games without crashing, and my firefox also is unstable and crashes! Hmm... 3 people with a 630i with exactly the same problem? i have in my machine 4gigs of ddr2 800- nforce 650sli mobo- Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache- 2 320gb sata hdd-geforce 9800gt- a sata dvd rom and a 2nd sata dvd burner -a 750w power supply- 7.1 intergrated audio- 19 in 1 merory card reader with bluetooth- vista premium 32bit....is your systems the same?

Mine is almost identical - CPU is Quad Q9300 2.5GHz, only one HDD and two Geforce 9800GT video cards but otherwise specs are as yours.

Same here I have a Nvidia GeForce9800GX2.
I bought my computer on ebay and don't get service tag hence cannot get access to there support what about you ?
I have started a thread on there forum called dell XPS630 memory management BSOD

C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back