Memory usage apparently slowing down pc

chipopo2

Hello everyone,

I am running Windows 7 Enterprize on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz 3.19GHZ (no idea what I just wrote, coppied it from the system information ). It also uses a 4.0 GB RAM. To my understanding this should be quite enough for basic usage (correct me if I'm wrong) but nonetheless I keep having memory problems (or so it seems). While surfing the net my Google Chrome gets slowed down and even crashes from time to time. If I have ten or more tabs open simultaneously everything goes slow.
I tried to make some adjustments to Chrome (based on what I found here: http://howto.excitebuzz.com/make-google-chrome-use-less-memory/120 ) but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem.
Attaching a screen capture of my task manager.

Earlier today I ran an Avast anti-virus scan (just installed it today) and it found some issues which were dealt with by the program. I don't know where to find the logs othewise would've uploaded them too.

Hope someone could help me....

Attachments

• memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 8
I don't like the look of the characters following 'Windows' in the application active lists. I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognise the script characters, but if someone said they were Iranian, for example, I would accept that and say, 'so there is a dangerous infection?'

On the other hand, perhaps you are Israeli, there is nothing wrong and I am just ignorant.

It always helps to put more personal information in your profile, like country, OS, SP level, type of PC desktop/notebook etc. You get the point?

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. Didn't think of it. Your second guess was right - I'm Israeli and those are Hebrew fonts.
It's a desktop PC but how do I find the SP level?

Click the Windows button on the desktop. In the 'search' box available at the bottom of the pop-up window, type WINVER and press enter. You should see
Version 6.1 (build 7601: Service Pack 1)
That's the latest there will ever be.

I'm not absolutely certain, but build 7600 might mean you never installed service pack 1. Where you found the version statement, does it say Service Pack 1 or not?
If it does, it can imply your copy is not a genuine copy, or that it is running in a test mode. If it does not say Service Pack, then you most certainly need to update to SP1.

I will await your answer on this, but my advice is likely to be to run system file checker SFC.exe Examples of use here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista but don't click on any links or make any changes just yet.

Did this PC work perfectly normal up to a recent date? If so, possibly you can use the system restore function http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/system-restore to view what restore dates are available without actually applying the restore, and hopefully one will still be there from when everything was ok.

Last edited:
You were right. I just installed SP1.
I don't recall a time that my PC worked perfectly so I'll skip the second suggestion but I did run the scan. Also, it appears that some 80 windows critical updates were neede to be installed and I'm right in the middle of it.

Oh joy ! Critical is the right word too.......you have been vulnerable to various problems since you bought that PC then, tut,tut !

Provided you have adequate anti-virus (kept updated) and use the Win 7 firewall, you might still be ok, but my advice is to have a look at this page https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

You can judiciously do some, or many of the suggested things, no need to respond with logs etc. UNLESS your first runs indicate significant problems, in which case, stop doing any more, and open a new post on that forum and explain what you found. You will then receive the best advice possible.

A brief word on where you are now. Applying SP1 after all this time might result in various problems. Why ? Because the OS consists of hundreds or thousands of interlocking utility programs (DLL's) of which a great many in your case were (recently) out of date. Meanwhile, various independent applications you have almost certainly installed will have found lots of dll's that the applications depend upon were out-of-date, and will possibly have replaced them with a later version. In this simple way, your current system will now consist of a partially NON-interlocking bunch of dlls, with the likely consequence of incompatibilities. The only way to sort that one out is after you get SP1 up and working, to reinstall as many your independent applications as possible with the latest versions.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot gbhall, you've been a great help. I'll continue as you suggested and hope for the best.

Back