MemTest86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone.
What is 1 full pass of the memtest86? How do you determine or gonna know when 1 full pass of the test has completed? I would appreciate an answer to this question that i really need to know.

When you use the normal test sequence of Memtest86 it will run through eight seperate tests.
You will see the individual test being used in the upper right corner of the screen.
Test 0 - Address test, walking ones, no cache
Test 1 - Address test, own address
Test 2 - Moving inversions, ones and zero's
Test 3 - Moving inversions, 8 bit wide pattern
Test 4 - Moving inversions, random pattern
Test 5 - Block move, 64 moves
Test 6 - Moving inversions, 32 bit
Test 7 - Random number sequence
Test 8 - Modulo 20, ones and zero's.

Once all eight test have been completed you will see (about mid screen) "Pass" (third from the end before "Errors" and "ECC Err(or)s") under that will be the number of successful passes you have run. There will also be a notification below that to the same effect.
Screenshot here: http://www.memtest.org/pics/i875-big.gif

There is also a ninth test. From the release notes:
The bit fade test initializes all of memory with a pattern and then sleeps for 90 minutes. Then memory is examined to see if any memory bits have changed. All ones and all zero patterns are used. This test takes 3 hours to complete. The Bit Fade test is not included in the normal test sequence and must be run manually via the runtime configuration menu.

Hope this helps you out.

DBZ beat me to it!

Hi TechF and welcome to the forums. Because the nature of the question is more for the General Hardware forum the mods will most likely to their or the Applications forum.

Anyway, here is the answer:

1. There are 8 individual tests per one Pass.

2. Once it has cycled through it will begin with Test 1 all the way through 8 and thus completing Pass number 2, and so on.

3. People make the mistake believing it just is repeating the same patterns in the 8 Tests but this is not true. The test is throwing a vast array of differing combinations.

4. This is why the unwritten but very important rule of a minimum of 7 Passes is essential. And the more the better.

* It takes a long time but well worth it; start it a couple hours before going to bed and check it the next morning. Any errors and you have corrupted memory that must be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back