Messed up Bios

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me to set up my bios. I've 'tweaked' this, and ticked that, and now the pc just starts up, runs for a few seconds, and shuts down. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks,

If you are able to. Clear the cmos battery . On your main board. This should put the bios back to default settings. Or if you can get it to stay on. Long enough to get in the bios. Set the bios back to default settings.

Hi, and thanks for your help.

I am an 'Old cogger' still using XP on my main pc... using Win7 on this one until the other one is up and running again. The main pc (with a bios fault ?) is used for rendering video files of my grandchildren, and anything else that needs doing...wedding videos and so on.

A few weeks ago, having edited and transferred the files to USB sticks, the computer started to slow down and switch on and off now and then. This became more frequent so I suspected a 'rootkit'.. that was quickly ruled out.. the problem persisted to the degree that rendering became an impossibility.

Since I am no PC boffin, I followed the Sherlock Holmes formula... eliminate the impossible and what remains etc. etc.. so a new power supply, cpu fan, cmos battery, replacement audio and graphics cards (I keep spares) were fitted. However, the problem persisted so, in my ignorance, I decided that after all that I must have messed up the bios. Basic bios, I'm O.K. with but, I changed quite a few settings in there... So what I really need to know is (I've defaulted the cmos, F9 in my case, it's Amibios) how do I know what the settings should be, or should have been before I started tinkering. Is there a book on the subject I wonder. Should I clear the bios by shorting pins 2 and 3 as outlined in the manual ?

I took the pc to a reputable, at least I think he is, repairer and he told me that I needed a new pc. He couldn't get it to boot into windows. When I got it home and did a quick check I found that I had inserted the cmos battery 'wrong way round' ... they didn't notice this..
although they claim to have thoroughly checked everything.

The situation at the moment is such that pressing F2 will get me into bios, but the pc doesn't stay on long enough for me to even change the boot setting... default is 'boot from floppy'.. so I need to change that to HDD.. but the pc shuts down before I get the chance.. (Oh ! it does re-boot itself..but it's a bit of a vicious circle in trying to get to the boot menu before it re-boots again)..

Short of buying a new pc (this one is my favourite).. is there anything I can do ?

Thanks very much for your help,

Trevor

If it is still shutting down after your computer repair man . Had remove the cmos battery. Which would have set the bios back to defaults. I doubt it is the bios causing the shutdowns. I have a feeling its either your power supply or your mainboard is on its way out.

You could Try swapping out your power supply. With a known good one. To see if this maybe the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Cobalt,

Yes, it appears to point in that direction. One final question though ! Is there a removable bios chip generally found on a motherboard (socket type) and what in your experience would the most logical fault be, given that each of my pc's were built and/or bought around the same time yet the others are working perfectly. I appreciate that 'it could be anything' but perhaps you have seen generally faulty motherboards each sharing the same or similar problem... e.g. cpu etc. etc. Sorry to be such a pain.

Thanks,

Trevor

Yes there maybe a removable bios . Chip but I would not venture. What it cost to replace. Plus you more or less would have to take it some where. AS far it going out before all the other PC you have. This is not uncommon . Not all hardware last as long as other. If the repair man has stated to you you need a new computer. I have feeling he tested Motherboard. This is why he told you . You need a new computer. If your not sure what he did do. Then check with him.

I myself feel messing with the bios as you did. May or may not have ruin the mother board. It really hard to say. The mother board may have been on it's way. When you change the settings. You just helped it along.

Last edited:
It looks like your BIOS chip is damaged. What is the model of your motherboard? When your computer starts, does it show any text on screen or just blink up lights on keyboard and shutdown? Does it beep or make any sound?
I doubt your BIOS chip could be reprogammed so the best advice is ebay and buy motherboard according to your CPU and memory.

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me to set up my bios. I've 'tweaked' this, and ticked that, and now the pc just starts up, runs for a few seconds, and shuts down. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks,

since you stated you inserted a new PSU, I suggest you re-check if you have properly inserted the main power connector to the motherboard (20+4 pin) and the other 4-pin power connector (or depending on motherboard, can also be a 4+4), usually located above and to the right of the cpu slot.

almost all parts are now 'plug and play' so I don't think the BIOS is messed up in the first place. (unless you changed some settings regarding AHCI mode or IDE mode, or you changed boot order.)

since you stated you inserted a new PSU, I suggest you re-check if you have properly inserted the main power connector to the motherboard (20+4 pin) and the other 4-pin power connector (or depending on motherboard, can also be a 4+4), usually located above and to the right of the cpu slot.

almost all parts are now 'plug and play' so I don't think the BIOS is messed up in the first place. (unless you changed some settings regarding AHCI mode or IDE mode, or you changed boot order.)

You maybe right, But I have a feeling their was more wrong with the computer then just a power supply. Hopefully maybe this might be the problem. But something tells me it is the motherboard.

The repair shop seems to have given good advice. He could easily have made money out of you. It's an old desktop with problems running a now obsolete OS so look into a replacement computer.

You maybe right, But I have a feeling their was more wrong with the computer then just a power supply. Hopefully maybe this might be the problem. But something tells me it is the motherboard.
I can duplicate his problem on my relatively newer machine by unplugging the 4-pin power connector from the motherboard. restart loop, few seconds of power and so forth.

as for bloated capacitors and their replacement: no experience. :)
(the hardware thingy I did on my computers aside from replacing plug and play parts is 'soldering' pc case power switch wire).

also, to rule out insufficient power supply and if the motherboard has built-in gpu, remove the discrete gpu and other peripherals and try to turn on the computer.
if you can successfully go into BIOS this time, try to see if there are sufficient voltages on the +12v, +5v, +3v.

I can duplicate his problem on my relatively newer machine by unplugging the 4-pin power connector from the motherboard. restart loop, few seconds of power and so forth.

as for bloated capacitors and their replacement: no experience. :)
(the hardware thingy I did on my computers aside from replacing plug and play parts is 'soldering' pc case power switch wire).

also, to rule out insufficient power supply and if the motherboard has built-in gpu, remove the discrete gpu and other peripherals and try to turn on the computer.
if you can successfully go into BIOS this time, try to see if there are sufficient voltages on the +12v, +5v, +3v.

Oh I am not doubting you. I would just like to think . If he had took . It to a repair shop they would have check to make sure the power supply and such was hooked up right
and the fact he had remove the cmos battery. That would have set the bios back to default. So that's why I tend to think it is the motherboard.

Back