Micro Center reduces the price of its graphics cards for gamers

By midian182 · 50 replies
Jan 28, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Last week brought news that Nvidia was asking retailers to limit the maximum number of graphics cards it sells to two per person—an effort to combat the high prices caused by demand from cryptocurrency miners. While this is only a suggestion that Nvidia can’t enforce, it seems at least one computer store wants to help gamers, not miners, secure new GPUs—and at more reasonable prices than what we’re currently seeing.

Polygon reports that Micro Center sent out a note to customers informing them that when it comes to video cards, it does limit quantities “to ensure that as many of you as possible can purchase the component you need.”

But the better news for those more interested in frames-per-second than hashrates is that Micro Center will discount GPUs if they are being bought specifically for gaming.

The company added it would offer money-off for “in-store bundled components.” Like almost every other retailer, Micro Center currently sells many graphics cards for more double their recommended retail price. But buying them alongside other components—RAM, motherboard, CPU, and power supply—will see the cost drop to or near the MSRP, once approved by a manager.

Some users on this Reddit thread claim they purchased a card from Micro Center at a discount without having to buy one as part of a bundle, they simply assured staff it was for gaming and not mining.

One store rep told PC Gamer it might also be possible to configure a gaming system on Micro Center’s website and still get the GPU discount, though this would involve paying the full price online then calling into a store to receive some of the money back.

Many people are now sick of the high cost of graphics cards, so it’s pleasing to see retailers trying to appease gamers with discounts and limitations on sales. But it could still be a while before market prices return to something resembling the pre-cryptocurrency craze days.

Permalink to story.

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Grand Inquisitor Posts: 4,812   +3,808

Slick move. They know this won’t stop miners (how are you supposed to verify intent?), but adds to the bottom line by selling extra components under the guise of savings.

Reehahs and JaredTheDragon like this.
  3. bandit8623

bandit8623 TS Booster Posts: 101   +17

Its all supply and demand. They should produce more and there wouldn't be a problem.

4. alabama man

alabama man TS Guru Posts: 402   +260

https://youtu.be/X7NIr-3UY_U?t=233

At least someone complained it didn't work. Just saying as the article is all praise, haven't investigated anything my self but I just watched this video and this part seemed appropriate to link.

Stark likes this.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,707   +2,013

Not that simple. nVidia itself produces only a fraction of video cards. Most come from manufacturing partners.

trgz likes this.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Grand Inquisitor Posts: 4,812   +3,808

Major manufacturing output increases have to be planned years in advance because you need more space for more machines. Sometimes even new factories. These are massive investments and you don’t just flip a switch.

trgz likes this.
  7. alabama man

alabama man TS Guru Posts: 402   +260

Yup and when ware houses are full of old gpus as the market is full of used ones and people wait for the new ones you can file for bankruptcy and end PC gaming in the progress. You should be CEO of nvidia.

They have professionals counting this stuff as their jobs with education and experience, they are fully aware of the situation and balance it to monetize it to the fullest. It might not be pleasant to gamers but they will take every penny out of the situation and they have no problem, only consumers do.

8. Manuel Diego

Manuel Diego TS Booster Posts: 35   +37

And because the GPU market has so many players (Nvidia and AMD and... and... well, Nvidia and AMD), if one of them tries to monetize the situation on you, you can turn to another one (which won't because... why would they want to monetize too... doh!).
    So basically, we're screwed...

Reehahs and JaredTheDragon like this.
  9. OceansCrashing

OceansCrashing TS Rookie

Been waiting months to buy cards. As far as the Microcenter in Cambridge, MA, this article isn’t accurate. They’re only offering very small reductions in price (that you may have been able negotiate previously,) and you absolutely must buy the other components with them. Kudos to Nvidia for trying to steer things in the right direction, but as long as participation is voluntary or flexible for retailers, I don’t see much changing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Addict Posts: 269   +82

What one stores does, another may not. If unhappy, then call the company and see what they can do. After all they are the ones trying to help.

All companies let store managers run the stores how they see fit despite any company rules/policy.

11. OceansCrashing

OceansCrashing TS Rookie

Absolutely useless comment. Some manufacturers mandate that their products sell at a specific price. Its not accurate by any means to say all companies let store managers run stores how they see fit. And I did call, that’s how I got the information. NVIDIA is “trying” to help, but to little or no effect, which was the point of my comment. Microcenter is not trying to help, or maybe they are, depending on location... that’s part of the problem. If management at a location is allowed a gouge, they will if they don’t have any motivation not to

psycros likes this.
  12. AndrewP

AndrewP TS Rookie

From a firm-wide average revenue perspective this makes sense for Microcenter. They sell a number of products directed towards groups other than cryptominers. Photographers and CAD designers, for example, will delay purchases of other components to do system upgrades because of the cost of VC's. Considering Microcenters position as a firm with product lines only targeted towards enthusiasts and other "high-knowledge" customers (as opposed to best buy), they need these target markets.

This is especially important for a retail operation that depends on additional sales derived from foot traffic.

psycros likes this.
  13. Polycount

Polycount TS Maniac Posts: 455   +145

Too bad there aren't any Micro Centers in my city. :/

14. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,360   +857

Holy ****! How did we not think of this?

Burty117, senketsu and JaredTheDragon like this.
  15. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 2,234   +1,365

Mind you this is after they were caught gouging. This ain't some angelic business move.

16. OvrclockATL

OvrclockATL TS Rookie

They got caught and pulled another bs move week later Mark up double offer discounts that makes it 100 or 200 more than msrp then got caught then proceed to eliminate the double cost buy auto apply the discount stating they lowered cost so they essentially did nothing but said they lowered price. I am a reseller & have ties with nvidia and other technologies reviewers I will do my best to report my findings... microcenter used to be the best retailer around now they are going the route of the rest.

Evernessince likes this.
  17. Gooch0

Gooch0 TS Rookie

Exactly. They did the same thing when the 10xx series launched. I was looking for a 1080 and they only had the MSI cards. They were something like $120 more than newegg was selling them for. They are gouging, period. We can blame Miners, but just wait until the 11xx's drop, then we will be witch hunting gamers too....

Evernessince likes this.
  18. OvrclockATL

OvrclockATL TS Rookie

A retailer that pays less than 3rd for product direct source suppliers should always resell at or below msrp of thier suppliers this does not apply to Newegg or Amazon they paid retail to get product unlike microcenter or frys

19. OvrclockATL

OvrclockATL TS Rookie

I'm actually at microcenter now lol

20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,339   +2,840

There is one sort of near me, out on what is called, "the Main Line". It's maybe 15 miles away in St. Davids PA, on Lancaster Pike in the heart of "old money territory".

I needed a card for a HTPC, which is going into an all mesh Cube case. The card didn't need to be all that potent, just "blingey", so I settled for an Asus over clocked GT-1030. They had one, newly stocked, after they had sold out 3 the week before. As I assume the card is useless, or almost so for mining, it went for the sale price of $76.95!

Well, you can't walk into one of their stores without spending more than you intended. Oddly, that's very often a good thing, since I copped a Toshiba 1TB 7400 RPM HDD on this trip for $29.95! (I probably should have bought a 1/2 dozen).

So, @Polycount, I feel your pain of not having a Microcenter near you. For those of you who do have one near you, I suggest you check out their "in store only" specials from time to time. For me, it's always well worth the trip. :D

21. captaincranky

That's a truly bizarre conclusion, bordering on delusional, by any definition of standard.

22. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 2,234   +1,365

Yeah, it's kind of a double profit for them. Everyone else who doesn't have a direct supply line to the manufacturer like 3rd party sellers have to deal with the current market prices.

23. G0DofPaiN

G0DofPaiN TS Booster Posts: 61   +37

Why don't all retailers ask for an invoice of other PC parts bought and determine if you want a gpu for gaming, for instance you shouldn't be eligible for a gtx 1080ti if your CPU is a pentium g4560.

24. captaincranky

Jeez, what did you do, drink the same Kool-Aid?

Microcenter does buy from manufacturers, but I suppose you think Newegg and Amazon deal with a sales representing firm between them and say, Asus?

The only time Amazon, "is paying retail", is when they're cross selling products from another seller, at which time they tack on 10% (or so), as a "customer convenience fee". And even at that, they probably nick the seller for a few points, along with the buyer.

Microcenter's prices are, almost across the board, slightly higher than Newegg's. What they do is offer huge discounts prices for "bundles", such as a CPU & board combo, then hope to get their money back with the higher markup on the other components in the system.

It works as a marketing technique, but if you just buy the bundle and leave, you might be getting the parts at or near dealer cost.

psycros likes this.
  25. lawrence kifer

lawrence kifer TS Rookie

I have to call BS on this. I just returned from microcenter. The manager on duty told me and another kid that he had no idea what we were talking about and kinda was rude about the whole thing. I got the impression that he thought we were trying to scam him. If it's true, they didn't let him know.