Microsoft acknowledges Windows 10 bug that causes internet connectivity problems

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Things that are certain in life: death, taxes, and Windows 10 updates that cause bugs. Once again, Microsoft has acknowledged a problem in the May 2020 update. The error affects the Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) icon in the taskbar, showing a user to be offline even when there is a connection—and that can confuse some apps.

The Windows 10 May 2020 update was found on 7 percent of all PCs at the start of the month. While it’s landing on computers at a faster rate than previous updates, it’s not without its problems. As reported by Windows Latest, cumulative updates in June and July have helped, but some users still see a yellow triangle in the NCSI and the “no internet access” message.

Despite what Windows might say, those affected by the problem aren’t actually offline. It’s still possible to load up a browser and surf the web as normal, but apps that rely on Windows 10’s internet status to make a connection are unlikely to work. These include Cortana, Microsoft 365, OneDrive, the Microsoft Store, and Spotify.

It’s speculated that the problem could be related to VPN or proxy use. Microsoft acknowledges the issue in a TechNet forum post, confirming that the issue is being investigated but hasn’t yet been resolved. The NCSI error reportedly dates back to before the Windows 10 May 2020 update launched, affecting some testers in the Release Preview Ring.

The “No internet connection” bug can (possibly) be fixed by editing the Registry, which can have disastrous consequences if not done correctly. To correct the issue:

1. Type Registry Editor in the search box

2. Click on the app when it appears in the panel and allow it to run

3. Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet”

4. Highlight ‘EnableActiveProbing’ and change the value from 0 to 1

5. Click on “Okay”

6. Close the Registry

7. Restart the PC

Note that this solution hasn't worked for everyone, but it’s worth a shot until Microsoft release a fix, which will doubtlessly add new bugs.

Permalink to story.

Fortunately, the Windows team is doing all they can to add new fancy icons, redesign the star menu and so many useless stuff.
What I do not see: people protesting against waste of time. If people wanted, we all would already have a perfect OS. But instead, it seems people want an OS that looks like a cheap prostitute with many fancy decorations for additional sexual appeal. This is what people actually want. But the needs of minority, the computer geeks,who cares about that minority. Majority brings in money just for visual prostitution and that's all that matters.

BWGcTEoCHnY5_wypxGb1zCgxJ_nhRwsZ7nB8Yt3V0b0.png

Update wont even complete on my rigs... reverts after installation.

Same thing happens on my daughter's laptop, happened for 3 days straight. She'd have to wait almost 45 minutes for the "update" to download, install, reboot, fail to update, revert and reboot. Screw MS and their broken updates. I just put ShutUp10 on her laptop and disabled all updates. No more problems.

Ahhhhh Microsoft ..... they never fail to surprise me with their issues. You would think by this time, with as many "experts" they have on their design team, they might employee a few folks in the QC department and let them tear it apart before shipping it off the the trusting public .... of course they can always fall back on the excuse that it's another "undocumented feature" ..... as what? Better web security? LOL

Update 2004 doesn't even work, so why even go any further with this update? I've had to revert back to 1909, and I am fine with it until 2009.

And this is why I'm still on 1909 on my primary desktop.

I haven't seen this issue on my laptop running 2004 but better to be safe than sorry.

I had this problem last week on a domain controlled machine that was running Windows 10 1809. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting only to find that it couldn't connect to my DHCP. I entered a manual IP and was able to connect and after updating my group policies when connected to our VPN, the issue was resolved and I was able to return to an automatic IP over DHCP.

WinDOHs 10 strikes again!

What M$ is not telling everyone is that this has been happening for years. I have 1909 installed on one of my PCs and it is happening there. I am able to browse all I want with Waterfox, but when the network is in this state, apps like Netflix simply don't work. The exact same thing happened well before I put 1909 on that PC.

I started turning off my gateway at night in the summer, and since then, this has happened more often. This particular PC fails to detect that the gateway is back on. If I disable the adapter, then re-enable it, it seems to detect that it has an internet connection more quickly. And I note that if I wake the PC after the gateway is back on and let it hibernate itself (it's set for 30-minutes) that the problem also "resolves itself" for the next time I wake it.

It sounds like the only thing that made M$ stand up and take notice was that their apps like McrapStore and others that depend on this ridiculous "feature" stopped working. IMO, that could not have happened to a more deserving company.

Ahhhhh Microsoft ..... they never fail to surprise me with their issues. You would think by this time, with as many "experts" they have on their design team, they might employee a few folks in the QC department and let them tear it apart before shipping it off the the trusting public .... of course they can always fall back on the excuse that it's another "undocumented feature" ..... as what? Better web security? LOL
The problem is that WinDOHs 10 user ARE the QC department.

Why do TechSpot writers refuse to use a monospaced font for monospaced text when referencing monospaced code/paths, and why is there a refusal to use code boxes for code and/or paths?
Should be:
Code:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
There's a fundamental reason why a monospaced font is supposed to be used, as most, if not all, languages support monospaced fonts and when not used, copying/pasting from a different default language will render the code and/or path unintelligible/incorrect.​
Why are registry paths on this site never presented in their shortened form, as to not do so is inefficient, making a path significantly longer than is necessary:
Code:
HKCR
HKCU
HKLM

It's more efficient to type:
Code:
RegEdit

Last edited:
Ironically, this happened to me long before installing the update--and I haven't had the issue since the update.

These updates are a dice roll every time, huh?

Why do TechSpot writers refuse to use a monospaced font for monospaced text when referencing monospaced code/paths, and why is there a refusal to use code boxes for code and/or paths?
  • #3:
Should be:
Code:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
There's a fundamental reason why a monospaced font is supposed to be used, as most, if not all, languages support monospaced fonts and when not used, copying/pasting from a different default language will render the code and/or path unintelligible/incorrect.​
Why are registry paths on this site never presented in their shortened form, as to not do so is inefficient, making a path significantly longer than is necessary:
Code:
HKCR[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]HKCU[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]HKLM

• #1:
It's more efficient to type:
Code:
RegEdit
TS attracts users of different skill levels. Because you recognize the abbreviations, does not mean a user with less technical knowledge than you have will recognize those same abbreviations.

Why argue about semantics and font faces when the meaning is obvious to you?

Nobody refuses to do it, however, on smartphones code boxes result in scroll bars, whereas just writing it as normal text automatically wraps it.

So it only stops Microsoft's spyware from connecting to the internet? We could do with more bugs like this one.

Fortunately, the Windows team is doing all they can to add new fancy icons, redesign the star menu and so many useless stuff.
Try stop trivializing what you don't understand, all was a mess until google popped chrome up with nice icons and a redesign of the browser - all others followed suit immediately.

Bugs will always happen to everything in an OS that has to deal with the mainstream industry and at the forefront. Just like games need patches.

They make mistakes, while creating things for people who make mistakes.

Just to sum up OS reliability and vulnerabilities:

2019-platform-vulnerability-report.jpg

it's just another OS like the others, and as humans are programming them, things stuff up.
"big company" "rich" - these words mean nothing, we are earthlings - only earthlings - nothing more.

Don't take the point personally, just making an overall point to the masses who may like this info..

Sledgehammer and I solved every issue with Microsoft updates.

actually, not that I have a weird setup system with experimental software.
just the standard net, gaming system and media pc with the usual brands...

my headaches with microsoft updates basically ended (the odd non-fatal disaster as expected) with my 1st installation of an SSD drive.
Still running the original SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB
(and still has 8 years left according to SSDlife)

Windows is in front of us on the screen, but we can't see inside the mainboard, power supply or HDD - until we finally replace something and common problems disappear..ohhh that's what is was!
Seagate drives and bad power supplies come to mind, as NZ was a bit of a dumping ground for bad tech and earlier revisions..

Back in win 95/98 days, we just formatted and re-installed a ghost image.
Hardly surprising with the state of hardware back then, newbies will never know the sleepless nights, headaches and real flying sledgehammer events.

TS attracts users of different skill levels. Because you recognize the abbreviations, does not mean a user with less technical knowledge than you have will recognize those same abbreviations.

Why argue about semantics and font faces when the meaning is obvious to you?
Skill level has zero to do with anything in my comment... unless you're referring to the lack of markdown skills the author chose not to utilize.

• Regarding Registry paths, what user is going to navigate through the tree when a Registry path is provided? What all users are going to do, and most especially non-technical users, will be to copy/paste the path, so whether someone recognizes the shortened form or not is moot, as upon pasting the key and navigating to it, the expanded form is shown.
  • The benefit of using the shortened form is it's not only standardized, it makes a Registry path more intelligible, not to mention more efficient from both a writer's standpoint and a reader's. What you're essentially implying is non-technical users are imbeciles who wouldn't know how to copy/paste what they may not recognize into a search engine... shortened forms of paths and markdown exist for a reason after all: efficiency.​

As to monospaced code, as I previously mentioned, monospaced code in a code box is dealt with differently by translators, which is why code boxes need to be used for monospaced code, not to mention many non-monospaced fonts create confusion between certain characters that look similar:
  • 1 or l
    Code:
    1 or l
  • 1 or I
    Code:
    1 or I
  • l or I
    Code:
    l or I
  • O or 0
    Code:
    O or 0
  • q or g
    Code:
    q or g
    etc.​

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time around...

Last edited:
Back