Microsoft admits that Windows 10 does temporarily disable third-party antivirus software

midian182

Staff member

Earlier this month, Russian antivirus giant Kaspersky field an antitrust complaint with the European Commission against Microsoft. It followed a similar complaint filed with Russian watchdogs last year, which alleges the Defender security software bundled with Windows 10 tramples over third-party antivirus products. Now, the Redmond firm has admitted that the OS does disable these products, but only for a short amount of time.

Kaspersky (and others) say Microsoft is abusing its market position “to fiercely promote its own – inferior – security software at the expense of users’ previously self-chosen security solution.”

In a lengthy new blog post, Rob Lefferts, director of security in the Windows and Devices group, writes that the Windows 10 Creators Update temporarily disabled third-party antivirus software: “For the small number of applications that still needed updating, we built a feature just for AV apps that would prompt the customer to install a new version of their AV app right after the update completed. To do this, we first temporarily disabled some parts of the AV software when the update began.”

Lefferts also claims Defender does “not run periodic scans without explicit customer action or provide protection until the chosen third-party AV solution is no longer protecting the Windows 10 device due to expiration.”

While it doesn’t specifically mention Kaspersky or the complaints, the blog addresses some of the Russian firm’s issues. It states that Microsoft works with external antivirus partners to ensure compatibility, but Kaspersky says its biggest problem with Microsoft is the fact it has cut the amount of time given to developers for compatibility testing from two months to six days. If Windows 10 does detect incompatible security software, the OS will shut it down and run Defender instead.

Lefferts also argues against Kaspersky’s claim that Defender is an inferior product. He points to recent real-world testing that shows Windows’ software scoring 99.5 percent detection rates, putting it just under the likes of Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, and Trend Micro.

Permalink to story.

No surprise here, Microsoft has previously blocked other browsers, security software and a host of other products in order to maintain their dominance in the market place. They have been slapped with a number of suits from individuals, companies, and the US Govt. Probably won't happen in the current administration's rein, but soon or later they will face the music again .....

(warning - sarcasm) Of course, a Windows update could result in an incompatible AV unable to run in the new OS environment and everyone would be happy as long as nobody noticed. (warning - sarcasm)

Eugene Kaspersky's previous complaints were greeted with scorn simply because of him being Russian, so I think, glad he's findings has (finally) been proven right, shame on Micro$osft for remaining dead silent during this time.

Lefferts also argues against Kaspersky’s claim that Defender is an inferior product. He points to recent real-world testing that shows Windows’ software scoring 99.5 percent detection rates, putting it just under the likes of Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, and Trend Micro.
This is not how these things work - Kaspersky and alike are keeping their database up to date ... is that 0.01% which appeared in the last year which matters - nobody cares that Windows Defender can deal with some virus which was the bomb 10 years ago. So, when Kaspersky says Defender is an inferior product - it is, it always was, it is a default option for those who don't want to install a dedicated antivirus. Was never meant to be a full replacement for a decent antivirus ...

Well if it is necessary for Windows to update, I have no problem with it. My problem is with the frequency of Windows updating and the notion that we have no control over it.

Who the hell cares about Kaspersky's. I will never use any third party av again. Windows Defender is awesome , works as expected and is non intrusive not like most third party av's nowadays. They always want to up sell you something with constant "nags" to protect everything.

Microsoft also recently bought an AI firm from Israel (Hexadite), who's security they want to integrate with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection. Hexadite is already one of the leading startup firms in AI protection security.

Good bye Kaspersky.

Well if it is necessary for Windows to update, I have no problem with it. My problem is with the frequency of Windows updating and the notion that we have no control over it.
If this is true, then it just goes to show how terrible MS's update software is. Linux can update libraries while they are in use, then all you need to do is restart the process. It's also much faster at pulling/installing said updates as well.

MS has been incapable of fixing windows update to make it anywhere near as snappy and useful as linux.

If this is true, then it just goes to show how terrible MS's update software is.
Put it this way, it takes Windows Update 20 minutes at times just to "check for updates". And that is on an i7 machine with the OS installed on an SSD. However that is a different topic, than what I was referring to in my first comment. My first comment was referring to when and how the update are installed.

Who the hell cares about Kaspersky's. I will never use any third party av again. Windows Defender is awesome , works as expected and is non intrusive not like most third party av's nowadays. They always want to up sell you something with constant "nags" to protect everything.

Microsoft also recently bought an AI firm from Israel (Hexadite), who's security they want to integrate with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection. Hexadite is already one of the leading startup firms in AI protection security.

Good bye Kaspersky.
Why is it always a "rookie" who is singing M$' praises, while demeaning other publisher's product. You sound like a M$ plant or a shill. "Goodbye Pinox" is kind of more on the lines of what I'd like to hear.

As far as "buying a startup goes". isn't that how monopolies like M$ squash competition? "Nip it in the bud, as it were. If you can't stand a little friendly competition, buy it. I guess Kaspersky isn't for sale.

Last edited:
Back