Microsoft and AMD are bringing FidelityFX Super Resolution to Xbox Series X and Series S

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution is set to land on PC on June 22, but gamers and developers are also excited for the day when it arrives on current-gen consoles like the Xbox Series X/S. Microsoft and AMD are working on it, and hopefully by the time supply issues are solved we'll also be able to enjoy several titles that make use of the new feature.

Earlier this year, AMD presented Radeon's answer to Nvidia's DLSS in the form of FidelityFX Super Resolution. This is AMD’s long awaited alternative that will attempt to upscale games from a lower render resolution to a higher output resolution, allowing for higher levels of performance without a significant reduction to visuals – or ideally the same visual quality.

Most recently we got a glimpse of FSR on the Radeon 6800 XT, coming as part of AMD’s GPUOpen program, and as such, supposed to work on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs that don’t support DLSS, like the GeForce 10 series. AMD lists support for RX Vega, RX 500, RX 5000 and RX 6000 series GPUs, and all Ryzen APUs with Radeon Graphics.

Microsoft wants to bring some of that performance-enhancing magic to the Xbox Series X and Series S consoles, which will allow gaming at higher resolutions like 4K without compromising on frame rate to maintain a stable level of performance. This would bring the total number of supported FidelityFX features at 4 out of 8, including Variable Shading, Denoiser, and Contrast Adaptive Sharpening.

On PC, FSR supports four different modes -- performance, balanced, quality, and ultra-quality. The ultra-quality mode means the game will be rendered at close to native resolution, while still achieving an up to 60 percent higher frame rate. Just like Nvidia's upscaling solution, FSR will need to be implemented on a per-game basis, so Microsoft adding Xbox support will potentially help with that.

Developers like Dead Drop Studios' Evan Wolbach are excited about FSR, as they believe the impact on game optimization will be massive. Wolbach told GamingBolt that FSR can free up a lot of performance budget for prettier graphics on current-gen consoles, which still struggle to output native 4K games at 60 frames per second, especially with ray tracing turned on.

Permalink to story.

I‘d love to see them add this to XBox One.

Given the scope of supported GPUs, I dont see why not.

But maybe they will stop at the One X.

Personally, this will already make my Series X better, since it looks like I will be able to get a new GPU when they new RDN3 cards comes out and the production has matched demand.

This is great.

Gamers will have more scaling options to choose from.
Developers will have an easier to implement scaling solution that they can adapt to suit their needs across multiple platforms and hardware.

The progress will be uniform. This is the beginning of the end of DLSS. And ultimately, everyone will be better for it.

Looking at the side by side video they released, you’d be able to get the same effect by smearing petroleum jelly over your screen

Looking at the side by side video they released, you’d be able to get the same effect by smearing petroleum jelly over your screen
nVidia's upscaling was trash too when it first came out, give it time. You also don't HAVE to use it

As I stated multiple times - AMD working with MS and Sony - must be massive brain boost - if this carries on to the next Consoles - most likely as AMD hardware is predicted to be significantly better and more efficient . You can see why Nvidia wants ARM and AMD is investing in something similar ( can't remember name ).
Nvidia is huge and probably has big plans to increase share and growth in AI etc .
I think 10 years from now GPUs/CPUs will be quite different - with devices being able to operate from 1-5watts to 300w to 1000s ( from cloud computing on tap ).
Maybe GPUs will come with X AI units -so in solo games - the NPCs will be pretty smart

Cool.
I'd love to see how it works on the platforms it supports at launch before imagining where it fits afterward.

Call me a weirdo, but that makes the most sense to me as a techie and conscious consumer.

Are those devs excited by what they saw personally or the idea of FSR? I didn't get any confirmation from the source link.

As I stated multiple times - AMD working with MS and Sony - must be massive brain boost - if this carries on to the next Consoles - most likely as AMD hardware is predicted to be significantly better and more efficient . You can see why Nvidia wants ARM and AMD is investing in something similar ( can't remember name ).
Nvidia is huge and probably has big plans to increase share and growth in AI etc .
I think 10 years from now GPUs/CPUs will be quite different - with devices being able to operate from 1-5watts to 300w to 1000s ( from cloud computing on tap ).
Maybe GPUs will come with X AI units -so in solo games - the NPCs will be pretty smart

Pray, pray really hard that nvidia is never allowed to buy ARM.

ARM has a revenue of a couple of us$ billions a year. Nvidia wants to pay 40 for them.

As an investment that makes no sense, since the ROI is simply too long.

They can already license the ARM tech in any way they want and it would be a lot less than 40 B.

The only reason left is that they found a nasty loophole in arm current contracts and will really screw the whole industry.

I know that people these days have a weird thing that they must blindly worship corporations and turn a blind eye to the many anti-consumer actions made by that company.

Nvidia is the absolute worse, but hey, they have RT and DLSS, so they are gods or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool.
I'd love to see how it works on the platforms it supports at launch before imagining where it fits afterward.

Call me a weirdo, but that makes the most sense to me as a techie and conscious consumer.
Since the One‘s GPU is based on Polaris, that is theoretically a supported platform.

But yes, that it needs to be decent in order for people to use it is a given - if the fps vs quality trade off is not good, there‘s no point in using it.

It would be great if that happened but developers would still have to patch their games to support FSR. I doubt many of them would since there's not much for them to gain.

I hope this works out because the biggest problem with DLSS and will be the same with FFX is support from games if console get it then you are more likely to have developers support it.

It would be great if that happened but developers would still have to patch their games to support FSR. I doubt many of them would since there's not much for them to gain.
Yup, that‘s the sad thing - neither devs nor MS have much of a commercial interest doing this.

I do wonder if MS could integrate FSR into their back compat solution.

Yup, that‘s the sad thing - neither devs nor MS have much of a commercial interest doing this.

I do wonder if MS could integrate FSR into their back compat solution.
The game developers first need to optimise their game for FSR. Its not a plug and play solution and there will be development time required to make it work. So I suppose the feature may end up on the last gen Xbox One X and S, but older game may not get this feature since developers would rather spend their time to develop new games than to go back and optimise old games.

Thats the thing that all these nvidia drones fail to understand. RT and DLSS and now this FXRR, needs to be added to the games that they play.

Instead, they are giving nvidia their money and parroting around that they are the best for what it is a bullet point in the marketing brochure.

The game developers first need to optimise their game for FSR. Its not a plug and play solution and there will be development time required to make it work. So I suppose the feature may end up on the last gen Xbox One X and S, but older game may not get this feature since developers would rather spend their time to develop new games than to go back and optimise old games.
I would say that there is a good chance that will happen to a good amount of games on the Xbox side, because MS is trying to take some of the hype that the PS5 has.

Then again, some developers are simply cr@ppy. Look at the mess that Arkham Knight is on Xbox. It was left locked at 900P and never got an update.

Thats the thing that all these nvidia drones fail to understand. RT and DLSS and now this FXRR, needs to be added to the games that they play.

Instead, they are giving nvidia their money and parroting around that they are the best for what it is a bullet point in the marketing brochure.
If your game is big enough, nVidia will implement it for you.

On consoles, it‘s different (if FSR delivers) as a game that uses it might be more attractive for customers vs one that doesn‘t.

This is great.

Gamers will have more scaling options to choose from.
Developers will have an easier to implement scaling solution that they can adapt to suit their needs across multiple platforms and hardware.

The progress will be uniform. This is the beginning of the end of DLSS. And ultimately, everyone will be better for it.

Yea OK...

I'll stick with DLSS and the massive gains in quality and performance not to mention compatibility for now... You let me know when this changes... Them maybe we can talk.

Former Silicon Graphics employees formed ArtX and they made the GameCube Graphics chip but they were bought by ATi before the console shipped and their technology was used to develop the Radeon 9700 pro and 9800 pro.Then AMD bought ATi
9800pro (all-in-wonder) was one of my first top tier gpu's ever!

Loved it!

Bought it from my first tech job at Circuit City in 2003.

DLSS has been in a very large percentage of the games I've played in the last 2 years.

Back