Microsoft announces Age of Empires IV, shows off trailer at Gamescom

midian182

Staff member

The Age of Empires games are some of the best-loved real-time strategy titles ever made, which is why Age of Empires: Definitive Edition was met with cries of joy when it was unveiled at E3 this year. But if people were excited about that remastered game, imagine how they felt when Age of Empires IV was announced.

At Gamescom yesterday, publisher Microsoft Studios revealed that a new entry in the long-running series was in the works. Taking over from the now defunct Ensemble Studios, which developed the games from 1997 to 2007, is Relic Entertainment.

Sega acquired Relic in 2013 as part of THQ’s bankruptcy proceedings. Age of Empires IV will become the dev's first game produced for a publisher other than its parent company. Relic has a strong track record when it comes to RTS titles, with Homeworld, Company of Heroes, and the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series under its belt.

"[We] couldn’t be more proud to be a part of the legacy," Relic wrote in an announcement on its website. "We can’t wait to tap into our strengths as a studio to fuse historical context with deep strategic gameplay, and to bring this franchise back to the forefront of gaming and into the hands of its beloved community."

Even more good news for RTS fans: in addition to the Definitive Edition of the first game, which will be released on October 19, there will also be remastered versions of Age of Empires 2 and 3.

No word yet on when we can expect Age of Empires IV, but we do know it’ll be a Windows 10 exclusive.

Permalink to story.

This game is timeless. I usually go on an AOE II/III kick at least once a year for a few weeks.

I couldn't agree more, I thought all hope was lost of seeing a 4th, so happy to see this out of the blue. Looking forward to the Definitive edition too as I never played the first game (I was 3 years old at the time)

@Gabe Newell, time to announce Half Life 3 right? ;P

"Even more good news for RTS fans: in addition to the Definitive Edition of the first game, which will be released on October 19, there will also be remastered versions of Age of Empires 2 and 3."
I'll pass. Why? There's already a laughably overpriced "HD" Edition for AoE2 that contains widescreen and compatibility patches (that were 99% created by community modders for free). Both original retail disc + patches and "HD" Steam version already work very well (as does AoE1 + uPatch). Any more "remastering" (as in remaking in a different engine) won't really maintain the same feel / gameplay or potentially break existing mod / script compatibility.

I've already bought AoE2 twice (original retail + 2nd time DRM-free "Collectors Edition"). No need for a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc, "remake of a remake" cash-in, newly locked down to the hideous Windows store... Likewise, although I hope I'm wrong, my end prediction for AoE4 is some MOBA/RTS dumbed-down hybrid locked to Windows Store, stuffed with micro-transactions & DRM and "streamlined for the casual gamer" due to MS's insistence that it be cross-platform and "fit" onto an XBox controller + 10ft UI rather than any serious "old school" style PC-optimised RTS... (Remember "lack of consolization" is precisely why they closed Ensemble Studio's in the first place).

Last edited:
It is a great game. The only thing that drove me nuts was running out of resources. I also loved Empire Earth, the first one. It had a lot of great features including going through all ages and CPUs that would cheat.

due to MS's insistence that it be cross-platform and "fit" onto an XBox controller + 10ft UI rather than any serious "old school" style PC-optimised RTS... (Remember "lack of consolization" is precisely why they closed Ensemble Studio's in the first place).
It's a PC-Exclusive Title...

This is something I may consider getting. I still have Age of Empires II: Age of Kings bought from Microsoft on CD and also have the HD edition on Steam. Awesome game and hopefully this newer rendition is just as good.

I don't know how many hours I've put into the AoE series over the years, but it's a LOT. I'll pick this up (as well as IV), if for nothing more than showing my "thanks" for a series superbly well done.

Can nobody revive the Dune rts games? :((

It would be easy since they would only need to do it once. Dune 1, Dune 2, Dune 2000, and Dune: Battle for Emperor pretty much start the same way for each of three main factions, hardly any differentiation.

Still play AOE2 and love every RTS Relic has done. COH, DOW are also favorites of mine. Like a lot of you I bout AOE2 on CD back in the day. I also bought AOE3 but didn't care for it. Another RTS that came later was Rise of Nations. It wasn't as simple or as fun IMO, but was a good RTS. One that I could never enjoy was Command and Conquer. None of their titles were very enjoyable to me. I was already too invested in AOE style I guess. I will get this though and hopefully, it doesn't suck.

Still play AOE2 and love every RTS Relic has done. COH, DOW are also favorites of mine. Like a lot of you I bout AOE2 on CD back in the day. I also bought AOE3 but didn't care for it. Another RTS that came later was Rise of Nations. It wasn't as simple or as fun IMO, but was a good RTS. One that I could never enjoy was Command and Conquer. None of their titles were very enjoyable to me. I was already too invested in AOE style I guess. I will get this though and hopefully, it doesn't suck.

Limited build queues never made a bit of sense. That and terrain obscuring your view was a deal-breaker for me.

Back