Microsoft announces upgraded Surface Laptop Go 2 starting at $599

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Microsoft is now accepting pre-orders for the Surface Laptop Go 2, an updated version of the original Surface Laptop Go introduced in 2020. Pricing starts at $599, which represents a $50 premium over the previous model, but Microsoft is hoping the upgrades are enough to look past the price bump.

Microsoft's latest features a 3:2, 12.4-inch PixelSense touch-enabled display (1,536 x 1,024 resolution, 148 PPI) with a maximum brightness of 330 nits. Under the proverbial hood is a quad-core 11th gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor alongside Intel Iris Xe graphics, your choice of 4GB or 8GB of LPDDR4x RAM, and either 128GB or 256GB of removable SSD storage.

The Surface Laptop Go 2 additionally packs a 720p HD webcam with f/2.0 aperture lens and dual microphones, a fingerprint reader integrated into the power button, Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 connectivity, a keyboard with 30 percent more key travel than a MacBook Air and "all-day battery life" rated at up to 15.5 hours under typical use.

I/O ports include one USB-C port, a USB-A port, a 3.5mm headphone jack and a Surface Connect port. In addition to the SSD, the keyboard and keypad are also replaceable, as are the display and the battery. The whole kit and caboodle weighs just 2.48 pounds and is backed by a one-year warranty.

Microsoft is offering the Surface Laptop Go 2 in your choice of sage, ice blue, sandstone or platinum color schemes. Pricing starts at $599.99 for a model with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD and scales up to $799.99 if you want double the memory and storage. Orders will start shipping next week.

Permalink to story.

That looks like an overly expensive Chromebook.

The best part is the ‚top of the line‘ $1,099 model.

Wow, the fail is strong in this one.

1. Sub 1080p panel at only 330 nits
2. 4GB ram base, which should just about be criminal for Windows in 2022
3. Last gen processor, which only looks like an upgrade because the previous model came out with a bizarrely outdated processor.
4. $599 base price (which is actually $799 if you want a usable spec)?!

I would like to have a Windows 11 equivalent of a Chromebook but will pass. Not a good deal for the specs one gets. As pointed out, $800 if you want usable specs. At that price, for $699 bucks better off with....
ACER CHROMEBOOK SPIN 713 LAPTOP - 13.5 2K - GORILLA GLASS– INTEL EVO CORE I5 – 8GB RAM – 256GB SSD – THUNDERBOLT™ 4 ( https://tinyurl.com/2bttn5sy )

Larger screen, double the storage, latest Thunderbolt 4 tech and can charge through the same. (I own one)

Back