Microsoft axing its SideWinder gaming peripherals?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you've been eyeing a new mouse or keyboard in Microsoft's SideWinder lineup, you may want to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. According to VR-Zone, Redmond plans to pull the plug on its SideWinder range, which currently consists of four mice (the SideWinder, X3, X5 and X8) as well as two keyboards (the SideWinder X4 and X6).

After discontinuing its SideWinder line back in 2003, Microsoft relaunched the brand in 2007 hoping to establish a name for itself among gamers. Unfortunately, none of the SideWinder peripherals truly "took off" and apparently, the market has grown too crowded with heavy competition from companies such as Razer, SteelSeries and Logitech.

Although Microsoft might be stepping out of the gaming segment, its hardware division will continue developing peripherals for general purpose use, having unveiled the Comfort Mouse 6000 just days ago. It's worth noting that the company hasn't issued an official statement yet and all of the SideWinder products are still available online.

Permalink to story.

Why not? They pulled the plug on all support from the first Sidewinder line, so why not do it again? They got my money, so what to they care if the drivers and profiling software for my Force Feedback 2 joystick have not been updated for the last three operating systems? Yes, that is correct - they were never updated for XP. V 3.02 came out in summer 2000.

No, I'm not bitter.

Well considering how much I use my X8, by the time they axe this, I will probably need a new mouse anyway. I guess this means my next mouse will definitely be a Naga.

madboyv1 said:
pcnthuziast said:
Man that keyboard is an eye sore.
I've seen much worse. =p

I haven't :(

That mouse btw isn't really standing out in a crowd like the snappy Gigabyte-models, it seems more like it is not designed with passion... Unless the keyboard is very comfortable to use, there seems to be little reason to chose it over a good Razer, G10 or Logitech-model...

The SideWinder line is actually a pretty decent collection of keyboards and mice although the keyboard design tends to be too cramped and noisy. The mice are pretty good too although nowhere near my Logitech G5 Gen 2 and G9X. I also use a new line of gaming peripherals from a German company called ROCCAT. Their mice, keyboards and headsets are really cool :).

pcnthuziast said:
Man that keyboard is an eye sore.

I actually have an X6 and I really like it. The removable numpad is cool to mess with, and I haven't really tried to use it w/ my left and yet :p

The best thing I like are the volume and backlight dials on top. Much easier to change the volume w/ a knob rather than a button.

Back