Microsoft continues to distance Cortana from Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft's decision to slowly extract Cortana from Windows 10 has plenty of individual benefits and gives the company the opportunity to promote the feature as a standalone app on more platforms rather than simply as a part of Windows 10.

Microsoft’s virtual assistant may soon lose its residency in Windows 10. As highlighted by The Verge, Microsoft has added a standalone beta version of Cortana to the Windows Store that is now available to download and try.

The move suggests that Cortana may not always come built into Windows 10. By detaching itself from Windows, Microsoft can presumably update and add new features to Cortana at a swifter rate that is less disruptive to the Windows 10 ecosystem as a whole. It also allows Microsoft to promote Cortana independently rather than simply as a feature of its operating system.

Having a standalone Cortana app could also cut down on pre-installed clutter in Windows 10, leading to a leaner installation for those that don’t use the digital assistant.

Microsoft at its Build conference last month demonstrated enhancements coming to Cortana courtesy of tech acquired from Semantics Machines, the natural language startup it acquired in 2018. The idea is to make conversations with Cortana feel more natural, like talking with a real person.

Apple announced similar improvements for Siri at WWDC 2019, making the assistant sound better than ever via neural text-to-speech technology.

Permalink to story.

Had this one uninstalled over a year ago. A simple search of the web will reveal a number of different ways to do it, just look around and you'll find it! And frankly, I'm glad it will be a separate app so I can delete it in it's entirety!

The more things that I can disable and remove from window the better. Imagine a world with a barebone windows 10 that has only essential components and services installed and active by default.
That's my idea of near-perfect Windows OS. Most of the default programs in Windows are unused, people download their favourite software for music, pictures, videos, text edition etc... so there's no need for an overwhelming amount of bloat. Just gives us Windows as a platform to install 3rd party software on it.

It's painful how long Microsoft needs to realise something that's so clear, to me at least.

Microsoft: We're featuring a new ai that can help automate things
Crowd: ooooh
Microsoft: Her name will be Cortana and she can save you a ton of time
Crowd: aaaaahhhhhh
Microsoft: We're going to force her on everybody by making her mandatory on Windows, and will max out the volume during installation so when she talks, everybody in the room will have a heart attack or fall out of their chairs. She will also have no customizability and will force users to utilize Bing.
Crowd: ...umm wtf?!

I have ways of removing most of the built in junk that Windows 10 comes with, but it definitely isn't business world and deployment friendly that's for sure. I really want a stripped down version of Windows 10 with minimal services and junk involved. Pleeeease!

That's my idea of near-perfect Windows OS. Most of the default programs in Windows are unused, people download their favourite software for music, pictures, videos, text edition etc... so there's no need for an overwhelming amount of bloat. Just gives us Windows as a platform to install 3rd party software on it....[ ]....
You really have to be careful when suggesting paring Windows to the bone. What you're left with would be Android shipped without "apps". I bought an Android tablet fo $40.00, and threw it away. All I wanted it to do, was be able to load and display my own photos, (ala "digital icture frame").

As it turns out, it wouldn't even do that without an app from Google, and an active internet connection.

Pruning the startup menu to the bone, at least gives the performance a "no bloat feel".

But to be quite honest, Nikon supplies codecs for all their latest RAW files, which can be downloaded and self install in Windows picture viewer. Good luck with viewing those same files with anything Adobe , unless you have a subscription, or are willing to rebuy "Photoshop Elements", each and every year.

Windows Explorer is 10 times as fast if you're hunting down images, as opposed to waiting for PSE to load to view your "catalog".

Then too, all you need is Windows Media Center, a PCI plug me in tuner and an antenna, and you've got the cheapest DVR service ever.. (Sorry though, that still leaves you with having to buy Game of Thrones, on DVD or Blu-ray).

But you know, I'm back in the stone ages running Windows 7. I can't speak to the bloat of Win 10.

Last edited:
Most of the default programs in Windows are unused, people download their favourite software for music, pictures, videos, text edition etc...
EXACTLY the difference between iOS and Windows. Go with iOS if you want everything to work out of the box. Default apps do just fine and little-to-no customization needed/wanted. Want customization? Go with Windows. But now Microsoft wants to push their own default apps to be more like iOS. It's annoying and goes against why Windows users prefer Windows!

Wait what is cortana? Oh this one thing that you disable first after reinstalling windows along with windows update? oh well..

EXACTLY the difference between iOS and Windows. Go with iOS if you want everything to work out of the box. Default apps do just fine and little-to-no customization needed/wanted. Want customization? Go with Windows. But now Microsoft wants to push their own default apps to be more like iOS. It's annoying and goes against why Windows users prefer Windows!
I've been railing about how this a**hole Nadella is trying to turn Windows into a closed system, ever since the 1st iteration of Win 10, was rammed down people's throats. Which, at the end of this coming month, will be 4 (four) years ago.

I'd like to say, "wow, you catch on quick", but I have a strong aversion to lying, especially when it's completely unnecessary, and in this case, counterproductive.

Once he gets enough garbage pumped into it, so that the average computer illiterate fool doesn't have to seek out "apps" like a stinking Android phone, there is a possibility of it becoming subscription. After all, "Windows is a service", graciously provided you by the mighty M$ philanthropy group. Quite frankly, I'm amazed Nadella hasn't applied for NPO status. You know how those of central Asian descent love to haggle

And y'all spout the same outrage, update after update, while a few of the more ignorant chillens tell me how out of touch I am with reality, and don't really belong on a tech site with my provincials views like, "the laptop they toss into my coffin, will still be running Windows 7.

(Actually my laptop, in it's sad, Intel Celeron powered state, still has Vista on it. I rarely if ever use it, so no biggie).

Who uses a voice assistant on a laptop or a desktop? I can understand on a watch or a phone but who’s going to ask Cortana to do something instead of just keyboarding to it?
I've discovered that the only tasks you can achieve quicker via voice command than with keyboard/mouse are setting reminders and alarms both of which are better suited for your phone.

Having a standalone Cortana app could also cut down on pre-installed clutter in Windows 10, leading to a leaner installation for those that don’t use the digital assistant.

Can they also cut down on pre-installed clutter such as Candy Crush Saga, LinkedIn, Skype, Minecraft, and other junk they try ramming down our throats? I don't need goddamn Candy Crush on every workstation I deploy.

Although I'll be happy to not hear Cortana during first time setup every time;
"Hi I'm Cortana, welcome to hell."

Back