Microsoft dismisses rumors of an all-digital, $400 Xbox One coming this Fall

Justin Kahn

Recently rumors surfaced regarding Microsoft possibly introducing a less expensive Xbox One without a disc drive. The rumors popped-up on NeoGaf (along with others) where it was suggested that such a box would hit store shelves in the Fall of this year with the release of Sunset Overdrive.

When asked for confirmation on the all-digital, $400 Xbox One, Microsoft's Xbox head Aaron Greenberg recently took to Twitter saying, "no, you cannot believe everything you read on the internet." Whether or not Greenberg is simply dismissing the time frame in which it will launch or the rumor completely is unclear at this point. 

An anonymous NeoGaffer also mentioned the release of a white Xbox One model as well as the release of a 1TB model in November. Other sources have confirmed that Microsoft is indeed planning on releasing its white employee-only Xbox One sometime this year, so that could be what we are talking about here. Previous reports have also confirmed that Microsoft is internally testing Xbox Ones without a Blu-ray drive, so these rumors do have some validity to them.

Beyond that, there is also some mention of worldwide Xbox launch dates and a major update coming in March with Xbox Live and other system wide fixes. At this point, Microsoft is said to be launching Xbox One in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Chile, and Argentina in April, among others. With a list of additional countries rumored to see the new machine hit stores in October.

Permalink to story.

Yea I had a feeling that was a bogus rumor honestly that an all digital Xbox One was coming out. That just did not make since from any point of view because as we all know one of the bigger selling points was that it was an "All in One entertainment system". Too bad the 1tb is coming out so soon and that the drive in the ONE requires dismantling to get to otherwise I would love the option to upgrade the drive size but 500gb is enough in all honesty for now and I hope that soon enough they will have external support again.

Disc drive is a digital device, just like a flash ROM, an internet cable or hard drive would be.

If anything they will sell a version without the kinect.....
Right now they can guarantee to developers that for every XB1, there was a Kinect sold with it.
Do you really think they would bother removing a piece of standard hardware?

If after six months or more and non of the developers take advantage of Kinect, I can see them removing Kinect from the bundle. Right now it is included to help promote the possibilities of using Kinect. But if the developers are not interested, why keep it as standard hardware?

Of course they will deny it, if this rumor catches traction in the mainstream, then there's probably a bunch of potential buyers who will wait until a cheaper version is announced.

If after six months or more and non of the developers take advantage of Kinect, I can see them removing Kinect from the bundle. Right now it is included to help promote the possibilities of using Kinect. But if the developers are not interested, why keep it as standard hardware?
All I will say is that 6 months is not enough time to see if the Kinect is a gaming gimmick, so they will likely keep 100% support for it for a while yet...

Possibly, but unlikely. As much trouble as they have gotten into for guaranteeing that Kinect comes with every XB1, it gives MS a very unique competitive advantage in any device market. I think it has tons of potential, but we will have to see how it is used. While PS4 plays well to the market for losing the camera and a lower price, they have neither that edge, nor the technology.

Right now ps4 is beating them in sales, the kinect cost around 80$ to make so it would make a ton of sense to sell a xbox one option without the kinect. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the ps4 have a optional kinect type device that is just as good?

I want the Xbox One Kinnect for it's media entertainment center potential. I can't tell you how many times something has been on TV on a channel I know by name and not by number. The Kinnect would make that match for me. But for games? I probably play them with the volume up a bit too enthusiastically for the Kinnect to listen to me. But if it's tracking motions it might be fine. It's be nice to wave a hand in the air and get team mates to converge on your position :) But then, there's so many buttons on the controller that it seems useless to even bother developing an input along these lines.

Diskless Xbox One will just sell external disk drives. That thought is still like offering a car with no doors. In theory you could probably get by without them but they enhance ownership.

Back