Microsoft engineer adds Edge's multi-tab management functionality to Chromium

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Microsoft joined team recently Chromium when it re-launched its not-so-popular Edge browser under the open-source project's umbrella. However, Microsoft is doing more than just taking advantage of Chromium's existing functionality -- it's contributing to the project with a few ideas of its own.

Microsoft and Chromium programmers have recently collaborated to bring Edge's unique multi-tab management feature to the open-source project. This feature, for the unaware, lets users grab multiple tabs and send them to a new window all at once, instead of having to drag them one-by-one.

The first hint of this collaboration popped up earlier this month, when Chromium contributor and Google engineer Leonard Grey asked Microsoft's Justin Gallagher to "upstream" the feature from Edge to Chromium. Gallagher was quick to agree and take ownership of the issue.

This information may surprise some. While Chromium is hardly the same thing as Chrome, one could easily make the argument that by adding a useful feature to the former, Microsoft indirectly contributed to the success of one of its chief competitors.

Regardless, it seems the company, or at least Mr. Gallagher, decided to push petty corporate politics and rivalries to the side and work toward the betterment of the Chromium project as a whole.

With that said, features that do get added to the project won't necessarily make their way to all Chromium-based browsers (Chrome included). It's up to each individual browser developer to decide how their software will function, so Google may simply ignore this functionality (which has already been committed to Chromium).

However, that seems unlikely. Better tab management functionality is always in high-demand for multi-tasking use cases, and it would be foolish for Google to look a gift horse in the mouth here. If Google does take advantage of it, we should expect to see the feature hit Chrome's beta builds in the near future.

Permalink to story.

All this hype and I will never understand its appeal. People who use tabs instead of bookmarks, only hurt themselves with bad memory management. It's no wonder they think they need 64GB memory, and always complaining of a slow browser.

All this hype and I will never understand its appeal. People who use tabs instead of bookmarks, only hurt themselves with bad memory management. It's no wonder they think they need 64GB memory, and always complaining of a slow browser.

I've never found 16GB to be a restriction for anything I do on my PC let alone opening many tabs in and across multiple browser windows. However, I do use an ad-blocker on most sites which might help a bit.

Why on Earth would anyone do that?

I just want something like classic Firefox's live bookmarks for Chromium. Better yet, something like the Liveclick addon.

I've never found 16GB to be a restriction for anything I do on my PC let alone opening many tabs in and across multiple browser windows. However, I do use an ad-blocker on most sites which might help a bit.

I see you've never used After Effects.

I'm lost - what feature have they pushed to Chromium? In Chrome right now I can multiselect tabs and drag them off of one window into their own? The only thing I could see in Edge was right clicking had a "Move to new window" option that Chrome doesn't, but who would be doing that rather than just dragging them.

I'm lost - what feature have they pushed to Chromium? In Chrome right now I can multiselect tabs and drag them off of one window into their own? The only thing I could see in Edge was right clicking had a "Move to new window" option that Chrome doesn't, but who would be doing that rather than just dragging them.

In Edge it's CTRL to select different tabs, or CTRL then SHIFT to select a range, and then pull them to a new window.

Back