Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 triggered a flight stick buying frenzy

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020 just launched last week. Longtime fans are probably already set to enjoy the game to its fullest, but new users will want to invest in a decent flight stick to have the most fun. Many of them have already figured this out, judging by the lack of availability of HOTAS controllers.

A quick perusal of Amazon's flight stick offerings reveals that some of the best and most affordable hands-on-throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) controllers, such as the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, are sold out. Amazon lists them as "In Stock," but this is through second-hand vendors who are selling them for outrageously over-inflated prices.

For example, the previously mentioned T-Flight usually sells directly from Thrustmaster for $80 new. Right now, you can get it for about $190 used. The slightly better (IMO) Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS usually goes for $180. Now you can get a used one for the low, low price of $319. The glut of flight sticks is not isolated to Amazon. Manufactures are sold out on their webpages as well. Although you might be able to find them here and there if you look around long enough.

HOTAS fight sticks are generally not a fast-selling item, so sellers keep inventories to a minimum. Supplies will eventually replenish, but those without the patience to wait should expect to spend close to $200 or more even for a used entry-level stick.

It is unclear why Thrustmaster and Logitech didn't anticipate the demand for their flight sim products. Flight Simulator 2020 is a significant and highly anticipated update to the franchise that was already nailing early reviews. Virtually all critics ranked it "excellentm" earning it a Metascore of 94. User scores were not as shining, but that was largely caused by problems with the Steam trial timer not being long enough to survive the download.

The physical version of Flight Simulator 2020 spans 10 double-layer DVDs. Granted, much of that is optional material, but the required portions still weigh in at over 90GB. People were running into a situation where the two-hour refund timer was expiring before or not long after the core program even finished downloading.

In any event, the lack of flight sticks seems like an oversight by manufacturers. Even if the surge in demand was unexpected, the companies lost out on the sales going directly to second-hand sellers.

Permalink to story.

And can you imagine that Amazon will do anything to police up those that are over charging? What, and ruin their percentage take on those high dollars ..... hush your mouth!

I am still using my Saitek X-45 - a single throttle HOTAS designed to emulate the F-16.

Microsoft Flight Simulator DID NOT cause a flight stick glut.

DCS WORLD caused the flight stick glut.

In May, DCS World was free for a month - along side the STEAM version which gives you two starting planes free indefinitely.

DCS World has been driving HOTAS sales: specifically Virpil's, Thrustmaster Warthog/Cougar and Logitech's X-56 Rhino.

Prior to that: The space combat games like Star Citizen.

I was going to upgrade to either the Warthog or Rhino, but I've been holding out because I hoped Logitech, by now, would have built a newer HOTAS to replace the X56.

Thrustmaster's Airbus stick and throttle quadrant is nice, but I'd leave those only to the home commercial pilot since they aren't designed for combat.DCS WORLD share photo.jpg

Last edited:
I like how Thrustmaster packed their new HOTAS controllers with pedals...and how they offer a dual stick HOSAS version as well. Logitech should do the same and same.

Ha! I ordered my Thrustmaster controller and pedals at the same time I pre-ordered the game. Figured there might be a controller rush when this was released.

I had a go at flight sim on Xbox game pass. It’s not for me, never will be. I’d love to do it to prepare to fly a real plane? But pottering about for fun isn’t my bag.

And that’s a dam shame as these flight controls look awesome fun!

I like how Thrustmaster packed their new HOTAS controllers with pedals...and how they offer a dual stick HOSAS version as well. Logitech should do the same and same.

Just get rudder pedals man it's a game changer.

I'm on CH Products Pro Throttle, Combatstick, and Pedals mostly for Elite Dangerous. I have pc game pass and meant to check out Flight Simulator but been lazy and have a big back log of games I need to knockout.

Just get rudder pedals man it's a game changer.

I'm on CH Products Pro Throttle, Combatstick, and Pedals mostly for Elite Dangerous. I have pc game pass and meant to check out Flight Simulator but been lazy and have a big back log of games I need to knockout.

I have them.

I learned from COLONY WARS using the Playstation dual analoge Flight Stick that HOSAS is the best option for a space sim while HOTAS is the best for air-combat simulators like DCS.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is only "flight" so you can get away with a basic joystick and throttle with pedals.

Last edited:
I bought my current HOTAS system way back when I bought Elite: Dangerous

Might have to dust it off if I ever pick up this new flight sim.

I just fly my RC plane or helicopter, and, if the weather is bad, I plug it into the computer and run it there.

I still have my CH Pro Throttle, Jane's Combat Stick and CH Pro Pedals.

But yeah, like my profile icon, they're the gameport version. If anyone still remembers what that means.

Anyway, these things feel like tanks!

Reserved for my DOS and Win9x based flight Sims - including all the Microprose, Jane's and GraphicSim games.

Back