Microsoft has stopped selling the original Xbox One

midian182

Staff member

It’s getting close to four years since the very first Xbox One was released in the US. Now, with the Xbox One S available and the Xbox One X on its way, Microsoft is no longer selling the original version of the console.

Manufacturing of the first Xbox One ended a few months ago but, as reported by Kotaku UK, last week marked the first time you could no longer buy one of the consoles from Microsoft’s online stores. The US site only has a listing for refurbed versions, while they’re marked as ‘Out of Stock’ in the UK store.

Last year, not long after it announced the end of Xbox 360 manufacturing, Microsoft released the smaller, prettier Xbox One S. Featuring high-dynamic-range imaging (HDR) along with 4K support through its Blu-ray player and certain apps, the new machine quickly became most Xbox fans’ console of choice.

At Gamescom, Microsoft revealed there would be two new Xbox One S bundles arriving this October: Minecraft and Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Soon afterward, the company will be focusing on its next big release – the Xbox One X.

The third generation of the Xbox One features a 6 teraflop GPU, HDR support, and the ability to run many games in native 4K. Microsoft has confirmed that 121 current and upcoming titles will be enhanced for its new machine.

Preorders for the Project Scorpio Edition started last Sunday, with most retailers selling out within minutes. Microsoft has called it the “fastest-selling Xbox pre-order ever,” with company marketing VP Mike Nichols stating: "You, our biggest fans, have pre-ordered more Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition consoles in the first five days than any Xbox ever." Standard edition preorders will start next month.

It doesn’t come as too much of a surprise to see Microsoft streamline its Xbox One offerings to the two newest options. Expect those retailers still selling the original console to drop its price over the next few months as stock levels deplete.

Permalink to story.

Like most people I think I am completely done with Microsoft consoles. Too many strings attached, terrible OEM HDD sizes, and worst of all terrible support after the first few years. I run into all types of issues on my Xbox 360, even when just running Netflix or Hulu it keeps disconnecting from Xbox Live and sometimes does it at the main Xbox Home menu for no reason at all. (I only have silver/free anyways). Again bunch of other little issues I am running into now that I never had before, tried deleting cache, deleting and re-downloading my profile, still shi!tty. (This is a 360S limited edition reach console in like new condition with a 250GB HDD, up to date with a perfect 70MB down connection [Spectrum].)

I got my Xbox One for $200 NIB from someone who won it on Spiceworks locally and couldn't sell it and it was a mistake, should have just payed more and got the PS4.

Microsoft couldn't force people to buy their phones, now they are obsolete.
Microsoft couldn't force people to buy their console, it got outsold 2:1.
Atleast they could force people to upgrade their OS.

"Featuring high-dynamic-range imaging (HDR)"

Isn't it a amd chip? I heard they have lower standards for HDR than nvidia and was thinking how this console will compare to computer HDR from team green? Could be worth testing like different HDR standards in general.

And to the complete annoyance of everyone they still refuse to make a black xbox one S

I've been wanting to buy a XB One since their initial release, but never got to it. The XB One S came around, and again renewed my interest, smaller, no power brick, but your comment was the exact reason I never bought one. But now the XB One X has my attention, and it's available in black... early next year possibly. The only thing better would be a halo special edition of the XB One X.

And to the complete annoyance of everyone they still refuse to make a black xbox one S

I've been wanting to buy a XB One since their initial release, but never got to it. The XB One S came around, and again renewed my interest, smaller, no power brick, but your comment was the exact reason I never bought one. But now the XB One X has my attention, and it's available in black... early next year possibly. The only thing better would be a halo special edition of the XB One X.

Yea and I honestly wish they found a way to vent air out the back of the one S instead of the top. Its so non-stackable right now, and I feel like an ***** for considering getting an X just for that reason lol.

Like most people I think I am completely done with Microsoft consoles. Too many strings attached, terrible OEM HDD sizes, and worst of all terrible support after the first few years. I run into all types of issues on my Xbox 360, even when just running Netflix or Hulu it keeps disconnecting from Xbox Live and sometimes does it at the main Xbox Home menu for no reason at all. (I only have silver/free anyways). Again bunch of other little issues I am running into now that I never had before, tried deleting cache, deleting and re-downloading my profile, still shi!tty. (This is a 360S limited edition reach console in like new condition with a 250GB HDD, up to date with a perfect 70MB down connection [Spectrum].)
Like most ppl LOL yet the world is selling out of pre orders and the console will be sold out. Yea I think everyone is getting tired of hearing ppl cry about MS.
I got my Xbox One for $200 NIB from someone who won it on Spiceworks locally and couldn't sell it and it was a mistake, should have just payed more and got the PS4.

Microsoft couldn't force people to buy their phones, now they are obsolete.
Microsoft couldn't force people to buy their console, it got outsold 2:1.
Atleast they could force people to upgrade their OS.

Ok, just read my first comment, sorry about the naggy rant, just frustrated yesterday, damn console disconnected from Xbox Live about 10 times and threw me out of Netflix movie every time, couldn't even finish it.

Back