Microsoft has surpassed Google to become the world's third most valuable company

Polycount

Staff
The big picture: Amazon and Apple may hold the two top spots as far as the world's most valuable companies go, but Microsoft is rapidly climbing the ladder. Satya Nadella has been at the helm for four years, during which time Microsoft's stock price has more than doubled.

According to a CNBC report, Microsoft has officially surpassed Google to become the world's third most valuable company, achieving a market cap of $749 billion compared to Alphabet's (Google's parent company) $739 billion cap.

To be clear, this is almost certainly not going to be a permanent change. The two companies have traded market positions for years, and there's no reason to believe Google won't retake their advantage in the future. However, it's a clear indication that Microsoft is doing something right.

Microsoft's growth surge under CEO Satya Nadella is likely due to the company's recent emphasis on cloud computing with Microsoft Azure, their focus on the Windows Mixed Reality platform, and their interest in artificial intelligence. Put in other words, a less Windows-focused Microsoft is a more diversified and valuable Microsoft.

Both Google and Microsoft's valuations still lag behind to the top two corporate giants, Apple and Amazon. The former is doing particularly well with a $923 billion market cap and a very profitable operation, while the latter's valuation is much closer to Google and Microsoft's at $782 billion. As recently reported, Amazon is still investing in long term strategy, spending most of its potential profit back into growing the company, which means Apple made more money during last quarter than Amazon has made in its lifetime.

Permalink to story.

The (arguable) "success" of Windows 10 apparently proves that the more personal data you suck out of your software users, and the clunkier and more annoying you make the update process, the better the product will do

Windows 10 isn't free. Not currently. Previously it was. Now it's not.

This is story is based during that time frame of windows 10 when it was free. Next quarter I will expect Microsoft will look even better. Also there are many users still running Windows 7 due from not upgrading because of GPU, RAM, and SSD prices and I'm one of them. Also Ryzen and new INTEL cpu's won't run or run well if you have Windows 7 so I expect a large surge in Windows 10 purchasing, and I will be building a news system very soon.

How??????? Windows 10 is free and isn't the best OS and their cell phones tanked. I do admit I owned 2 of their phones and they were pretty good.

Actually they claimed the upgrade offer ended, but it still works fine. I'm in IT and am still upgrading people's computers just fine. Not sure if it will stop working eventually but they're still Win10 activated! Just look up "Windows 10 installation media tool" on google and it's the first result. As long as your upgrading an activated Windows machine, Win10 is also activated.

How??????? Windows 10 is free and isn't the best OS and their cell phones tanked. I do admit I owned 2 of their phones and they were pretty good.

Actually they claimed the upgrade offer ended, but it still works fine. I'm in IT and am still upgrading people's computers just fine. Not sure if it will stop working eventually but they're still Win10 activated! Just look up "Windows 10 installation media tool" on google and it's the first result. As long as your upgrading an activated Windows machine, Win10 is also activated.

I'll second this. While you can't upgrade from xp or Vista for free, if you have windows 7 or 8 you can still take advantage of the free update. Also in IT.

I guess the ol' desktop monopoly is still going strong. I'm sure all the user data being siphoned by Windows 8/10 is also helping.

This is story is based during that time frame of windows 10 when it was free. Next quarter I will expect Microsoft will look even better. Also there are many users still running Windows 7 due from not upgrading because of GPU, RAM, and SSD prices and I'm one of them. Also Ryzen and new INTEL cpu's won't run or run well if you have Windows 7 so I expect a large surge in Windows 10 purchasing, and I will be building a news system very soon.

I guess the ol' desktop monopoly is still going strong. I'm sure all the user data being siphoned by Windows 8/10 is also helping.

Windows [10] is not the reason for Microsoft's success/growth over the past few years. Their money makers these days are Azure Cloud, AI (not Cortana), Office 365 & Bing.

Windows [10] is not the reason for Microsoft's success/growth over the past few years. Their money makers these days are Azure Cloud, AI (not Cortana), Office 365 & Bing.

Bing XD

Windows 10 has never been free. You upgrade, but you lose a licence for your previous paid for OS.
Plus previous MS OS have allowed you to build an entirely new machine and install it, but Windows 10 is tied to the device. Change the device enough, your licence is done.

Windows 10 has never been free. You upgrade, but you lose a licence for your previous paid for OS.
Plus previous MS OS have allowed you to build an entirely new machine and install it, but Windows 10 is tied to the device. Change the device enough, your licence is done.
No it isn't... you just call MS Tech support and they reactivate it for you... as they have always done since Windows XP.... Tying Windows to your hardware was simply a way to combat piracy - with mixed results - and was never intended to stop you from upgrading your PC.

And it seems most people here just posted to bash Windows.... but if you'd bothered to read the article, you'd have noticed that it was MS changing its focus from just Windows to the cloud with Azure and Mixed Reality that has doubled its stock value.

Have you also forgotten the Xbox is Microsoft, most of the computers around the world operate on Microsoft, the post did not surprise me at all.

The wife and I still use two of their phones. Mine's a Nokia 635 running windows 8.1. A little known fact is hackers ignore these phones and concentrate on android phones, so windows phones are bulletproof with regards to security. I plan on using that 635 until the battery goes tits up.

Actually MS encourages windows 10 users to store stuff in their cloud. MS encourages Win 10 business users to use office 365 which is also part of their cloud. MS encourages users to use edge which is a much safer browser than Chrome and edge users to use Bing. These changes were concurrent with Win 10 and packaged in win 10, so windows 10 is the vehicle making MS big money, but it isn't as obvious.

Windows 10 is more of an "advertising tool" than anything... The real money makers are the cloud tools for businesses, summed up: Azure / Office 365.

I work for Microsoft :)

OFFICE/365 is now Subscription .... thats a hefty revenue stream to back your ambitions. Cloud is big and getting cloudier... where are the next two billion users going to store thier stuff? in the cloud.

No it isn't... you just call MS Tech support and they reactivate it for you... as they have always done since Windows XP.... Tying Windows to your hardware was simply a way to combat piracy - with mixed results - and was never intended to stop you from upgrading your PC.
Will I'm the geek that actually reads the stuff most people click through. MS officially states the Win 10 OS is tied to device. Small changes are fine, it's nice (impressive actually) that they will reactivate Win 10 on a new mobo/cpu with a phone call. I have done that myself on previous MS OS, but the 'terms' of those earlier OS were not stating it was tied to the OS. It's just that I used to reinstall regularly and I would exceed the number of time OS activated limit. All they would ask is "Are you using this only on one PC", I would reply "yes" and they would reactivate.

It is hard for me to believe that Micro$lop is such a valuable company, but then most people do not know the difference between quality and hype and M$ is the greatest BS company in the world, so I guess BS does make money.....

It is hard for me to believe that Micro$lop is such a valuable company, but then most people do not know the difference between quality and hype and M$ is the greatest BS company in the world, so I guess BS does make money.....
Yeah.... it’s so much harder to believe facts than made up BS.... I think I’ll install Linux on all my PCs so that I can accomplish.... oh wait.... nothing.... yeah, MS is SO useless....

Yeah.... it’s so much harder to believe facts than made up BS.... I think I’ll install Linux on all my PCs so that I can accomplish.... oh wait.... nothing.... yeah, MS is SO useless....
I am using Ubuntu....
Try it, it is nice if you do NOT need special programs that seem only to work with M$....

I am using Ubuntu....
Try it, it is nice if you do NOT need special programs that seem only to work with M$....
I have tried it... and it's great - for what it does... but for the average user, it simply isn't useful...

I understand it's cool to be an "MS hater", and while many of their business practices might be suspect, it's undeniable that they make the only OS for general use on PCs. And most people think it's good enough for what it does...

I have tried it... and it's great - for what it does... but for the average user, it simply isn't useful...

I understand it's cool to be an "MS hater", and while many of their business practices might be suspect, it's undeniable that they make the only OS for general use on PCs. And most people think it's good enough for what it does...
I was NOT born a MS hater, I got stung by them when I bought my new computer with win8 and I could not use my bought for money programs so I had to pay to install win7.
Plus why by office when there are excellent free alternatives. Why use IE or edge when there are better free browsers, get my drift?
I don't like to be screwed by people who are not tech experts, yet claim to be and instead are BS experts and claim not to be..

I was NOT born a MS hater, I got stung by them when I bought my new computer with win8 and I could not use my bought for money programs so I had to pay to install win7.
Plus why by office when there are excellent free alternatives. Why use IE or edge when there are better free browsers, get my drift?
I don't like to be screwed by people who are not tech experts, yet claim to be and instead are BS experts and claim not to be..
So you bought a new PC without researching the OS.... fair enough... it’s been well documented that Windows 8 was a failure (although once u add all the service packs, it runs fine - much like Vista back in the day)...

And while there are free alternatives to MS Office, none of them are better - they might be a better value, since you can’t beat free - but if you’re in a corporate setting, Office is king...

And IE/Edge are just as free as Chrome or Firefox.... I prefer Firefox and Chrome - I use both depending on what I need... but most people argue that Edge is just as good....

And what pseudo-tech experts are “screwing” you? MS? They ARE tech experts!! I think owning a successful tech company is kind of the definition of that....

So you bought a new PC without researching the OS.... fair enough... it’s been well documented that Windows 8 was a failure (although once u add all the service packs, it runs fine - much like Vista back in the day)...

And while there are free alternatives to MS Office, none of them are better - they might be a better value, since you can’t beat free - but if you’re in a corporate setting, Office is king...

And IE/Edge are just as free as Chrome or Firefox.... I prefer Firefox and Chrome - I use both depending on what I need... but most people argue that Edge is just as good....

And what pseudo-tech experts are “screwing” you? MS? They ARE tech experts!! I think owning a successful tech company is kind of the definition of that....
So I now understand that you work for Micro$lop. anyone who defends them with such passion can only be paid. Yea I bought a brand new laptop with win8 and my small programs would not work. I could not wait for M$ to develop a patch if they actually develop patches.

and it is well known that they do NOT develop too much tech, rather they just buy a successful and tech company and add it to the M$ group. The fact that they have a "successful" (meaning they make money) company does not mean that they are successful in tech skills but rather in BS.

As for Edge, come on now, it certainly does not have add ons like FF. and as for Open Office, etc, which I use, I can see NO advantage over Office except that you are working for M$ and on their payroll.

Look at the M$ screw up in not getting into smartphones. They were Johnny come lately with their phone. A friend of mine who is certainly no techie got sold one with M$ os and did not realize what a screw up it was. Poor fellow he ended up getting rid of it and buying an android device.

So please don't defend M$ to me. I have been using them since DOS and then as they tried to emulate the Apple graphic interface and went hit and miss taking peoples money....

Back