Microsoft is bringing your Android notifications to Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

Notifications from your Android phone will soon appear on your Windows 10 PC, thanks to a new feature, announced at Build 2016, that Microsoft is planning to bring to both platforms in the near future.

Getting notifications to appear in Windows 10's notification center will be possible through Microsoft's Cortana app for Android. When users have the app installed on their phone, Cortana will essentially store any notifications received in the cloud, which can then be sent through to any associated Windows 10 devices.

You'll be able to do more than just view notifications too: the feature will allow users to reply to notifications from within Windows 10, as well as dismiss those deemed unnecessary.

This functionality will also understandably be available for those with Windows 10 Mobile devices, but it will no longer be exclusive to Microsoft's mobile platform. Where you won't see this feature supported is iOS, as Microsoft simply lacks deep access to iOS notifications thanks to Apple's restrictions.

Microsoft only stated that this feature will be available in a "future version" of Windows 10, but it seems likely that it will be part of the OS's Anniversary Update. You'd assume that Microsoft will also need to update their Cortana app on Android.

Permalink to story.

Cortana and it's like is the very last thing that would interest me, I've disabled it in Win 10 and Google Now is disabled on my Android. I don't think I'll be receiving any notifications from either.
These gimmicks should be optional. If the user chooses to use them, well and good but not foist upon everybody.

"When users have the app installed on their phone, Cortana will essentially store any notifications received in the cloud, which can then be sent through to any associated Windows 10 devices."

Gee, I wonder what they can possibly hope to gain from doing this. Oh, right, access to all your Google data.

Cortana and it's like is the very last thing that would interest me, I've disabled it in Win 10 and Google Now is disabled on my Android. I don't think I'll be receiving any notifications from either.
These gimmicks should be optional. If the user chooses to use them, well and good but not foist upon everybody.
Google Now is awesome. It's ridiculous how helpful it is. I wish I had access to it on my desktop.

You can learn to use google now, it is comprised of a lot of gimmicks, but in the end the always online kills it, if I want to make a reminder I don't need for it to try and get online to create the reminder, there is no logic behind doind that with standarized commands that they don't have to even process through a voice recognition software if you type it on, still, it does try to. When you have the functionality offline I'm all in, in the meantime... not so much.

Google Now is awesome. It's ridiculous how helpful it is. I wish I had access to it on my desktop.
You use it and you like it, great, but not everybody sees things your way so having it as optional is a better way of doing things. To me it's just a waste of data and storage.

Back