Microsoft is notifying users if their PC can't install the Windows 10 May update

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft has started rolling out the Windows 10 May 2020 update, which brings several changes and features to the OS. One new element of the upgrade is a system in which users are informed if their PC isn’t ready to receive the update.

Microsoft staggers its feature updates, with some users getting them many weeks after others. This helps the company identify potential conflicts with certain hardware/software and address them before rolling out the upgrade to these machines.

It had been the case that some Windows 10 users wouldn’t see anything when hitting the “Check for updates” button. Starting with this May update, Microsoft is giving people more feedback. As reported by Windows Latest, Microsoft is showing a message that reads: “The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page [Windows Update]. There’s nothing you need to do at this time.” The company says that the new message is part of its efforts to improve transparency.

Microsoft has a release information page up for Windows 10 version 2004 (May Update) listing known issues caused by the update, which began rolling out last Tuesday. These include difficulty connecting to more than one Bluetooth device, issues with older Nvidia drivers, and variable refresh rates not working with Intel iGPUs.

You can read about the major new features and changes introduced by the Windows 10 May update here.

Permalink to story.

Any SSD or HDD with an OS installed should have more than enough space to be able to update itself and should only advertise the storage space free beyond the reserved space for updates.

"There’s nothing you need to do at this time." but you do have to resolve your issues to get the update.

"There’s nothing you need to do at this time." but you do have to resolve your issues to get the update.
Or wait for Microsoft to resolve their issues, at which point there should be no issue installing it normally.

Apparently 3900x, 470 mobo, RTX 2070, and 970 evo nvme isn't compatible?

Listing your basic hardware doesn't mean much unfortunately. At some level, the OS has detected that something about your combined device/hardware/driver/software configuration is overlapping with their list of known issues. That could be that you have more than one bluetooth device connected, that you have a VRR monitor/driver running, etc. Sadly they don't give an easy way to see exactly which criteria you're failing on.

Well this is certainly an improvement over pushing the update and having it bork the user's machine.

I disagree about hiding disk space that may one day be needed for an update. If I want to use it for my own purposes the 98.2% of days when I am not expecting an update, I'd like that option. I don't think it should be held back any more than I think the required CPU capacity and network bandwidth should.

My i5 4690k on a z97 board is working fine so I may just be lucky. I do take the time to freshly install Windows 10 when a major update like this releases just to be sure I'm as "compatible" as I can be. Me doing this might be me being a little paranoid but I just want to be sure ya know :).

My i5 4690k on a z97 board is working fine so I may just be lucky. I do take the time to freshly install Windows 10 when a major update like this releases just to be sure I'm as "compatible" as I can be. Me doing this might be me being a little paranoid but I just want to be sure ya know :).

Well, they should call it Reinstalls Instead of Updates then, in my case and once more, Windows update made my PC unbootable, some time ago I tried Linux and came back to Windows because my GPU support was lacking but this time HURRAY it's supported, and now I am a happy Linux user, I even have a FULL Bootable and easy backup system called TimeShift aka my old beloved Macbook Time Machine, Microsoft Windows 10 is just BAD Software!

Any SSD or HDD with an OS installed should have more than enough space to be able to update itself and should only advertise the storage space free beyond the reserved space for updates.
OS partition space limitation has nothing to do with this update not installing, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the article, and even if you were so misfortune to be limited by space when installing a feature update Windows will allow you to connect an external drive where it can swap files to and from. I've done this with Windows based tablets as well as laptops with hilariously small SSDs in them.

My PC doesn't say anything, not sure if compatible, or not compatible, or if the update even exist.

Ultimate winner?
You're just a little early -- I don't think they've begun rolling it out at all yet, but it is Coming Soon.

You're just a little early -- I don't think they've begun rolling it out at all yet, but it is Coming Soon.
I've seen it on a few computers that my company manages, but in all fairness as it is the May update most won't see it until mid to late June, understandably my PC won't get it until the end of that time frame due to the variety of hardware and software I have installed.

I'm still on 1909 and when I check for updates it says I'm up to date. Should I 'force' update to version 2004?

I had Nvidia drivers issue which was older than MSF compatibility....I updated the driver but the message still remains!!!

I am not really sure why you are making this comment. There are many more things than just drive space which contribute to an "update" not being compatible with hardware.

For instance, I have an IvyBridge-E proc on an X79 MB that is running 1803. I tried updating to 1909, however, on the first reboot, I get a BSOD that leaves no system log, nothing - just a "system_thread_exception" message and then reverts to 1803. This particular system has about 1.5 TB of free drive space.

At the same time, I have three older AMD systems that had no problems "upgrading" to 1909.

Honestly, I would be surprised if this new update condition analyzer gets it right all the time given the M$ track record with WinDOHs 10 "updates" - many of which have been the equivalent of viruses, IMO.

The problem for most will be realtek radio devices that include bluetooth which I think is what is holding it up for my xps 13 and as I have just noticed my desktop.

Back