Microsoft is out of step with desktop users

Charles Ingram

I used Windows 7 a year BEFORE it was released and loved it still do, but touch screens and Windows 8 are the wrong direction. I have never used an Apple desktop, but I will before I go touch screen and Windows 8. I just tried to buy a new 27 inch all in one with a high resolution monitor but only Windows 8 and touch screen are sold leaving only Apple to supply what I want. And they wonder why PC sales are in the pits!

I use Win 8 Pro with "Start8" program to boot me right to the desktop and supply start menu. Delete metro apps. I like the hybrid of Win 8 with the menu of Win 7. Win 8 has some nice under the hood changes and I still have some of the Win 8 features just not the metro full screen stuff. Only thing I miss is Aero desktop. Most powerful cpu's and gpu's ever and MS is trying to sell the flat ugly look as "Modern". Glad I have 8 tho..

I use Win 8 Pro with "Start8" program to boot me right to the desktop and supply start menu. Delete metro apps. I like the hybrid of Win 8 with the menu of Win 7. Win 8 has some nice under the hood changes and I still have some of the Win 8 features just not the metro full screen stuff. Only thing I miss is Aero desktop. Most powerful cpu's and gpu's ever and MS is trying to sell the flat ugly look as "Modern". Glad I have 8 tho..

"Flat" is the new thing according to analysts.

MS just can't seem to learn from dismal computer sales we hate what they are offering. Win 8 is a disaster, business is going Win 7.

If you stick with it there's bound to be 3rd party software available to convert the Windows 8.1 experience into a close approximation of Windows 7 or XP. It's clearly something there's a call for.

I'd like to have a W 8 just to check it out. I was checking out a W8 laptop at a local Fred Meyer but couldn't figure out how to go back after tapping a tile. I didn't have much time to kill, so I didn't return, maybe some other time. :)
Maybe MS will start listen to its users.

Have an Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z motherboard. Was expensive, all of the fancy software for the board will not work on Win 8 and by this time I don't think Asus is going to provide them. Thinking heavily of going back to 7 to get back full mobo options working. Another loss for Win 8 thanks to Asus, love Win 7 tho so no huge loss

Windows 8 simple life but we all know how Windows 7 works and everything hardware and software wise works with it. I think we should have the option when we go and buy a new system. There is one with Windows 7 on it or Windows 8 on it. Let the customer decide and not the other way around.

Faulty Windows 8 has prompted MS to release Windows 8.1.. Now: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 pushing Windows 7 back a bit.

Two interfaces still. Need to just have one, but they can't yet there is not enough touch apps around to make the OS one look and function. Need to flip/flop between 7 UI and 8 UI. Tiles vs Icons. I was look at $399 ACER A6 Laptop with Quad Core and touch screen that's pretty cheap of course it's 11.6-inch. More the size of a netbook.

I have Windows 8 Pro that I bought on £25 special offer and I found that it worked fine with Classic Shell. There are several freeware programs that will make the interface much like earlier Windows. Without the Classic Shell add-on Windows 8 was a pain to get to grips with. When you find that it takes ten minutes to work out how to close it down that's not good. I expect that has been put right with 8.1.

My interest is with seeing if there is any real benefit to be gained by installing 8.1 instead of Windows 7 Starter on my 10" Atom powered netbook. At the moment my copy of Windows 8 is not being used.

I'd like to have a W 8 just to check it out. I was checking out a W8 laptop at a local Fred Meyer but couldn't figure out how to go back after tapping a tile. I didn't have much time to kill, so I didn't return, maybe some other time. :)
Maybe MS will start listen to its users.
I was checking out a different W8 laptop there yesterday & accidently downloaded Firefox. I wasn't aware they had it hooked up to their free in store wi-fi. :)

I have tried 3 times now since buying a copy last year,hoping the updates would help and everytime I go back to my copy of 7.
8 reminds me of 7 basic in looks and I use a pppoe connection to dial out and not having a auto redial is just stupid,which I think has also made most of India upset with Microsoft as well.

I have tried 3 times now since buying a copy last year,hoping the updates would help and everytime I go back to my copy of 7.
8 reminds me of 7 basic
Thats one of three reasons, I know I don't want Windows 8 (including 8.1). I might could over look the other two, if it wasn't for this one.

Windows 8 works OK with extra software but Microsoft haven't paid attention to what users want. My 10.1 netbook runs Windows 7 Starter and I thought that Windows 8.1 might give it a bit more speed. On further examination it looks as if I'd have to pay to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium before I could use my 'bargain' copy of Windows 8 to then move to Windows 8.1. Considering that Microsoft is teetering on the edge as regards the future of Windows vis à vis the competition from newer OS systems they are doing themselves no favours.

What would be good is a big drop in SSD prices so we can get more speed out of our existing Windows based hardware. Instead, it looks certain that the strategy will be to push us to update to new generation hardware at exorbitant prices. Windows 8.1 isn't looking very exciting at all.

Back