Microsoft is redesigning the Windows logo and over 100 other app icons

Polycount

Staff
In brief: If there's one thing you can say about Microsoft's products, it's that they never stay the same for long, for better or worse. While that fact often presents itself in the form of sweeping (sometimes unwanted) changes to Windows 10, today, we're seeing it take shape in less dramatic fashion. Microsoft is planning a massive overhaul of over 100 of its icons.

These icons belong to Microsoft's various services, tools, and apps, and the redesign aims to bring them all in line with the tech giant's "Fluent Design" philosophy. Fluent Design is, in Microsoft's own words, "intuitive," powerful, flexible, and coherent across a wide variety of devices. If that sounds like marketing gibberish to you, you're probably not alone.

In more ordinary terms, Fluent Design tends to be more flat, simplistic, and easy to understand than past design systems. We've already seen several of Microsoft's software icons receive Fluent overhauls, but now, the company wants to make the rest of its logos a bit more consistent.

Outlook, Paint, Windows 10's Mail app, and dozens of others will now look like they actually belong to one company. A lot of the changes aren't significant -- sometimes they're simple color swaps -- but even small changes can go a long way.

One of the most notable icons receiving an overhaul is the Windows logo itself. While the current Windows icon is a simple, flat aqua (or white, depending on the background) color, its new version's window "panes" will each be a slightly different shade of blue. The angle and overall shape of the logo are remaining unchanged, however.

To be clear, it is just app icons that are being redesigned for the moment. Microsoft continues to forge ahead with Fluent Design-focused app UI overhauls, too, but those obviously take much longer to develop.

We don't know when Microsoft plans to roll out these icons across its various services and apps, but we'll let you know if we find out. For now, the company is looking for user feedback, so feel free to drop them a line over on the official announcement blog post. While you're at it, let us know your thoughts in our comments section below.

Permalink to story.

This needs to be done. The overall look and feel of Windows is very dated. Unfortunately, it will still be, “Lipstick, meet pig”.

This needs to be done. The overall look and feel of Windows is very dated. Unfortunately, it will still be, “Lipstick, meet pig”.
I mean, if anyone using windows really cared, they'd find another icons pack to use.

I'm not someone who cares about the art side of things, so it doesn't bug me in the slightest...

Microsoft seems to be trying to become more consumer friendly. It'll be interesting see where things go from here.

Microsoft seems to be trying to become more consumer friendly. It'll be interesting see where things go from here.
I think they have a long way to go before the become consumer friendly. Even with the icon redesign, everyone will know it is still Windohs underneath.

I think they have a long way to go before the become consumer friendly. Even with the icon redesign, everyone will know it is still Windohs underneath.
I think they're further along then you give them credit for. They have greatly eased up on the privacy invasion nonsense, have made securing Windows 10 much easier than it was and have begun to realize that updates need the rigorous testing that was done in years past. Further, the Windows Activation proceedure has become far more forgiving recently. I predict that they may do away with it as they know that it's not doing them any good.

That's ok. Time will tell.

Time has already told you but you are not listening

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

There is a very good reason that Microsoft was not asked to backdoor Windows or Bitlocker this week along with Apple and Facebook

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tee-interrogates-apple-facebook-about-crypto/

Windows and Bitlocker are already backdoored!

The FBI repeatedly screams in the press about not being able to get into iphones, but they have never complained about not being able to get into "ANY" Microsoft products

Coincidence?

Or maybe you're just not paying attention

Further, the Windows Activation proceedure has become far more forgiving recently. I predict that they may do away with it as they know that it's not doing them any good....[ ]...
Yeah M$ will do away with activation, right after Windows becomes a full fledged "service", and you're paying for it monthly.

We still have to activate XP for god's sake.

Last edited:
Time has already told you but you are not listening

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

There is a very good reason that Microsoft was not asked to backdoor Windows or Bitlocker this week along with Apple and Facebook

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tee-interrogates-apple-facebook-about-crypto/

Windows and Bitlocker are already backdoored!

The FBI repeatedly screams in the press about not being able to get into iphones, but they have never complained about not being able to get into "ANY" Microsoft products

Coincidence?

Or maybe you're just not paying attention
Have you ever run into a supposedly I/O device, which is faulty and only has output, but doesn't permit input?

A complete waste of time when this degree of effort needs to be directed at product improvement, not cases of lipstick ....

giphy.gif

@IAMTHESTIG Ever since Windows 7, M$ has been trying to make a sows ear out of a silk purse. I guess it's sort of necessary to observe and comment about it.

My Win 7 installation all employ Aero's slide show desktop function. I'm completely relaxed at my desktops, with everything from fantasy landscapes to Japanese Race Queens, lingerie models, and imaged from my own photography marching past every 10 seconds.

Win 7's icons are dandy with me. I'm not confused or wanting anything different from my man cave's monitors.

While it may seem like a paradox,I think all the touch trash on cell phones is targeted a cases of arrested development. Yet, I won't own, and don't even know how to work a smart phone.

If fact, the first time I saw a mobile phone in action, it was in the hand of my ex-wife's, ex-boyfriend. His new wife was calling him every 5 minutes asking where he was and when he was coming home. I opined, "that piece of crap is nothing more than an electronic leash".

So M$, stick your "new look", "new icons", and new "live tiles", exactly where they belong, up Satya Nadella's a**! :mad:

@IAMTHESTIG Ever since Windows 7, M$ has been trying to make a sows ear out of a silk purse. I guess it's sort of necessary to observe and comment about it.

My Win 7 installation all employ Aero's slide show desktop function. I'm completely relaxed at my desktops, with everything from fantasy landscapes to Japanese Race Queens, lingerie models, and imaged from my own photography marching past every 10 seconds.

Win 7's icons are dandy with me. I'm not confused or wanting anything different from my man cave's monitors.

While it may seem like a paradox,I think all the touch trash on cell phones is targeted a cases of arrested development. Yet, I won't own, and don't even know how to work a smart phone.

If fact, the first time I saw a mobile phone in action, it was in the hand of my ex-wife's, ex-boyfriend. His new wife was calling him every 5 minutes asking where he was and when he was coming home. I opined, "that piece of crap is nothing more than an electronic leash".

So M$, stick your "new look", "new icons", and new "live tiles", exactly where they belong, up Satya Nadella's a**! :mad:
Are things ok at home?

There is nothing wrong about the MSF current icons...What Microsoft needs to do is to update the batch of icons when you want to change an app icon...These icons are antique low resolutions and they've been there for decades...!!!

Are things ok at home?...[ ]....
Fine and dandy. I have no idea what I could have possibly said that would give you any reason to suspect that they are otherwise. Misanthropy, pessimism, and a very dim view of the human species social structure, are oddly the things which bring me the most reassurance and comfort. Trust me, it's really hard for another to disappoint me. I expect the worse, and more often than not, I'm blessed in full measure with the predictability

In fact, by my standards, I thought my post was rather upbeat and cheerful.

Myself, my cats, and the crack dealers on my street, also wish you , "happy holidays". ;) :laughing:

Last edited:

Are things ok at home?

I think Cap is just saying what we're all thinking.

"I think Cap is just saying what we're all thinking."
----------------------------------------------------------------

Myself, my cats, and the crack dealers on my street, also wish you , "happy holidays". [Wink ;)] [Laughing :laughing:]

I think they're further along then you give them credit for. They have greatly eased up on the privacy invasion nonsense, have made securing Windows 10 much easier than it was and have begun to realize that updates need the rigorous testing that was done in years past. Further, the Windows Activation proceedure has become far more forgiving recently. I predict that they may do away with it as they know that it's not doing them any good.
Where in the world do you get this from? I just upgraded the wife to W10 Pro direct from MS (her account) from W7 on a nice new Ryzen and AMD MB. 32G of RAM. PCIe SSD and a couple of 4T spinners she's filled up already. Of course I ran the usual remove bloatware and spent a bit of time going through the checklists to disable reporting.

After I'm done, Just for grins and giggles, I disabled the IPV6 in the registry and routed all the IPV4 through Peerblock with everything MS, Amazon, Akaimai, Cloudflare, et al IP ranges blocked.

The scroll log of hundreds connects attempts per hour is probably still squirreled away on one of the 4T spinners. Win10 promptly reset itself as 'unregistered software' and not allowed to .personalize'. Mind you I bought it from MS itself about 3 days earlier. Turning off Peerblock and rebooting and walking through the fix checklist got it reregistered. Turn Peerblock back on, now it 'unregistered software' on reboot.

I have no idea how you can think that slice of Chinese Social Surveillance System constitutes "...eased up..." unless you have some belief that a PC is just a big phone and "the phone company knows what you're doing anyway" is the correct answer to privacy.

New logo

M I C R O S O F T
presents
Windows 365
- subscription service loading...
Office 365
- subscription service loading...
Final check system needs cleaning....
Processing please wait...
System clean...
Hello I am Cortana how can I help you today "tipstir"
Open Techspot....