Microsoft: Kinect will outsell the iPad

Emil

Staff

Microsoft is expecting the Xbox 360 Kinect motion-sensor gaming accessory to sell millions this holiday season and is being rather optimistic when asked about the device's chance of success. "The preorders have been really strong," a Microsoft spokesperson told Gamasutra. "As far as what we're looking at for holiday, this is going to be stuff that'll blow away any of the sales you've seen with iPad. The Xbox 360 is already selling better than the Wii and Sony right now. Kinect's really just going to boost that to a whole new level."

More specifically, Microsoft is globally targeting more than three million units sold in the first two months after the November 4 launch in the US (the launch is on November 10 in Europe), according to The Wall Street Journal. In the US alone, the Kinect will be sold at 30,000 retail locations on launch day, 7,000 of which will open at midnight.

The news comes hot on the heels that the iPad is cutting into notebook sales (although Best Buy says they are grossly exaggerated). Apple's latest device has been selling well according to the company: 1 million units were gone in its first 28 days on sale and it hit the 3 million mark after three months on the market. Microsoft's expectations are higher than that.

Microsoft this week also announced five new Kinect games from Japanese developers, as first reported by Engadget. At launch, though, there will be 15 games to choose from: Adrenalin Misfits, Dance Central, Dance Masters, Deca Sports Freedom, Game Party in Motion, Get Fit With Mel B, Kinect Adventures, Kinect Joy Ride, Kinect Sports, Kinectimals, MotionSports, Sonic Free Riders, The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, and Zumba Fitness.

Permalink to story.

It should happen, but I also say no one should be surprised that it could. There are far more people with Xbox 360's that will simply buy it to have it.

I think Microsoft's market for Kinect is way smaller than what they estimated it to be. Nintendo have obviously snagged a great deal of potential customers from the Kinect. If Microsoft would've utilized motion-sensing technology before Nintendo, I don't think Wii would've been so successfull either. But now with Kinect at our doorstep, I reckon Microsoft have to come up with something great for it to be a commercial success.

This year, cars will out sell bananas.

The comparison what will out sell more Kinect or iPad is completely pointless. Its a pissing match between 2 year olds.

I agree, ridiculous comparison. What Kinect needs is some REALLY good games. Otherwise, whats the point?

The fact is the only comparison is the sales rate of something popular. The fact that the devices have nothing in common did not occur to them I guess. Unless they just are talking about the basic concept of a very new product uptake by the masses.

I'm waiting for more games before I buy into it, although I only really want it for the basic update to console inteface with the system.

Emin3nce said:
Prostitutes will earn more than hard working IT technicians this year.

Apparently not, a new Jack the ripper is in town here in england so at least the IT technicians in England will get the money they deserve!

Back