Microsoft might be working on a more efficient Xbox Series X chip

jsilva

In brief: Despite being a capable system, the Xbox Series X could be better with a few adjustments. One way to do it would be improving the console SoC's efficiency, something that a recent report claims Microsoft is already doing.

Since Microsoft finalized the Xbox Series X design, which probably happened about a year or more before the console actually shipped, semiconductor technology has improved. What was new back then isn't up-to-date now. That's just how technology works.

Microsoft is certainly aware of this, hence why it's probably developing new chip revisions for the Xbox Series consoles as we speak. Sometimes, these revisions only result in cost optimizations for the company, but there are cases where users can directly benefit from them.

Brad Sams, a journalist known for his work around Microsoft products, stated Microsoft has been working on the latter type. Unfortunately, we won't likely see any performance improvements or new features. However, the journalist believes this new chip revision will improve efficiency and run cooler.

To improve the chip's efficiency, the first thing that comes to mind would be migrating SoC production from TSMC's N7 node to N6. As TSMC had previously stated, migrating a product between these two nodes is relatively easy as they are both based on the same IP and development ecosystem.

Also Read: Xbox Series S vs Series X spec-by-spec comparison

Compared to N7, the N6 node offers an 18 percent increase in transistor density while shrinking the die up to 15 percent. In loose terms, Microsoft could reduce the size of the die and maintain its performance and power requirements, maintain the size and reduce power consumption, or something in between.

A new chip revision could also mean we will get a new design. Considering the new chip revision would run cooler, Microsoft could redesign the console to be smaller, similar to what it did with the Xbox 360 variants that came after the original and Xbox One S.

As the Series consoles are about to celebrate their second anniversary, we don't expect to see new models of the Xbox Series consoles anytime soon. However, by their third or fourth anniversary, there should be more than enough reason for Microsoft to revamp its console lineup.

Masthead credit: Billy Freeman

Permalink to story.

With the convergence between PC/Xbox/PS - would be strange for MS not to do Pro versions sometime in the future .
I think with the speed of change a PS5pro could be quite a boost ( well I'm hoping so -when it comes + a 2 TB drive at least ) - especially if AMD can ramp up the Ray Tracing as their 7000 series will be much better in this area

With the convergence between PC/Xbox/PS - would be strange for MS not to do Pro versions sometime in the future .
I think with the speed of change a PS5pro could be quite a boost ( well I'm hoping so -when it comes + a 2 TB drive at least ) - especially if AMD can ramp up the Ray Tracing as their 7000 series will be much better in this area
MS makes Xbox, not PS...

MS makes Xbox, not PS...
Yeah I know that - I'm on the PS4 at moment - awaiting V2 or Pro for PS5 and VR2 - my point is Sony will do mid season bumps - I think Microsoft will do too eventually - I see no point jumping on PS5 early - especially as still rocking a Plasma TV- and I buy games on discount

Yeah I know that - I'm on the PS4 at moment - awaiting V2 or Pro for PS5 and VR2 - my point is Sony will do mid season bumps - I think Microsoft will do too eventually - I see no point jumping on PS5 early - especially as still rocking a Plasma TV- and I buy games on discount
We had a plasma for many years, replaced it with an LG OLED late-2020 and was extremely lucky to win the ps5 lottery and get one early on. Great combo!

Eagerly awaiting psvr2, hoping it will play my existing PSVR games (primarily Beat Saber).

We had a plasma for many years, replaced it with an LG OLED late-2020 and was extremely lucky to win the ps5 lottery and get one early on. Great combo!

Eagerly awaiting psvr2, hoping it will play my existing PSVR games (primarily Beat Saber).

PSVR is weird and I don't see most games making the move to PSVR2 in a decent manor (without patches). PSVR was really that horrible. PSVR2 being more like the Oculus Quest, finally expect a good VR Experience on console.

That being said, I wouldn't hold out for a any "Pro" Devices. If they do come, it will not be for a few years. Getting the PS5 or Series X early on was the best thing to do IMO.

I went with the Series X myself. Gamepass being the biggest reason. Honestly Nearly any Multiplat game I'd rather have it on Xbox anyways.

I did pickup a PS5 a few months back. It has been a great device so far. Overly big though, doesn't blend in well. Really nice upgrade from the PS4, but was more of a want purchase than need. It mostly just sits.

PSVR is weird and I don't see most games making the move to PSVR2 in a decent manor (without patches). PSVR was really that horrible. PSVR2 being more like the Oculus Quest, finally expect a good VR Experience on console.

That being said, I wouldn't hold out for a any "Pro" Devices. If they do come, it will not be for a few years. Getting the PS5 or Series X early on was the best thing to do IMO.

I went with the Series X myself. Gamepass being the biggest reason. Honestly Nearly any Multiplat game I'd rather have it on Xbox anyways.

I did pickup a PS5 a few months back. It has been a great device so far. Overly big though, doesn't blend in well. Really nice upgrade from the PS4, but was more of a want purchase than need. It mostly just sits.
I used to be addicted to video games through high school so I’m careful these days about getting sucked in too much. I got a ps3 towards the end if it’s life and played the Batman’s and God of War games and Rock Band with the fam.

I played PS4 God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. With the ps5 I played Spider-Man, Rock Band 4, and now Forbidden West. I’ve been sucked into Forbidden West like I was with GoW and Spider-Man. Once I finish it I’m going to force myself to take a break again.

Back