Microsoft, Nokia schedule special event for August 17

Emil

Staff

Microsoft and Nokia appear to be preparing a little announcement for August 17, 2011. Both companies sent out an invitation for a joint-event at this month's GamesCom in Cologne, Germany, according to the unwired.

The invitation tells attendees "exciting actions and surprises will make it an evening to remember." The duo will also raffle three Nokia Windows phones (as soon as available). This would imply that the date is just an announcement of new phones rather than their release.

Nokia's first Windows phone, codenamed Sea Ray, looks nearly identical to the recently-announced Meego-based N9 smartphone, but it's running Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system. Nokia's first Windows Phone 7 handset(s) will be launching in Europe later this year: France, Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands have been confirmed.

Windows Phone 7.5 (codenamed Mango) hit RTM just last week. The update adds a number of much-awaited features, including an HTML5 version of Internet Explorer 9 for mobiles, deep Twitter integration, better multitasking support, an improved messaging system, new Bing features, and so on.

There is talk that Microsoft is already working on the next Windows Phone updates, codenamed Tango and Apollo. Last year, we heard of that the second major update to Windows Phone will be Apollo, due toward the end of 2012. At some point Microsoft will have to release Windows Phone 8. One of these updates could indeed be Windows Phone 8, or an update to Windows Phone 8.

It's generally accepted that Windows Phone is not selling well. AT&T Mobility CEO believes things will start to pick up with codename Mango and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop meanwhile argues that Windows Phone scores better than Android and iPhone with consumers, but OEMs are doing their best work for Android. He believes that once Nokia starts doing its best work for Windows Phone, the platform will take off. Microsoft says it dreams of selling 100 million Windows phones per year.

Permalink to story.

The day someone thinks about not publishing that last paragraph iin every windows phone article on this website, from that day windows phone sales will sky rocket. Please its getting lame.

Emil, please stop copy-and-pasting those last two paragraphs into every Windows phone article. It's starting to get ridiculous.

@Guests
I would rather tell him the same thing without resorting to hiding behind the 'Guest' user. Anyway, Emil, I think they do have a point, it would be prudent if published material may be 'improved/updated/polished' a little bit before it is re-published.

I wonder what this event is about. They just have to release this Mango ASAP. Their release schedule is, in my opinion, the only thing that's actually dragging the WP7 platform back. They say it's going to be one major update every year. Well, I think that's a mistake. WP7, has a lot of good things, and a lot of things much better than other OSes, but the OS is still playing catch-up. Microsoft hyped up (and still hyping) Mango as if it is the next big thing (this very event is nothing but another attempt at that); but truth is, while the update makes WP7 a whole new phone, it is (sadly) exactly what WP7 should have been when released.

If only the Windows team could update the OS every six months (or less!), I believe in a year or two, iOS would have to be the one catching up with WP7. Maybe not in terms of sales or market share, but definitely in extensibility, performance, and just plain innovation. But a man can only dream...

And what's that I see? People actually criticizing Techspot? Oh my, but I thought that was forbidden...!

can't wait to get Mango. i hope they do better things like what windows 7 is to windows vista. many new features, but still on the same platform.

wonder what this event is about. They just have to release this Mango ASAP. Their release schedule is, in my opinion, the only thing that's actually dragging the WP7 platform back. They say it's going to be one major update every year. Well, I think that's a mistake. WP7, has a lot of good things, and a lot of things much better than other OSes, but the OS is still playing catch-up. Microsoft hyped up (and still hyping) Mango as if it is the next big thing (this very event is nothing but another attempt at that); but truth is, while the update makes WP7 a whole new phone, it is (sadly) exactly what WP7 should have been when released.

If only the Windows team could update the OS every six months (or less!), I believe in a year or two, iOS would have to be the one catching up with WP7. Maybe not in terms of sales or market share, but definitely in extensibility, performance, and just plain innovation. But a man can only dream...

+1

They just rushed the damn thing to market without duly considering the implications of marketing/selling something which is not yet complete. I mean can Toyota or GM (or any other manufacturer) sell a new car without properly tuned engine / steering wheel / deflated tires, on a pretext that these will be made to work when you bring your car back for the first service?

Back