Microsoft Office 2010 beta build leaks onto torrent sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Even though a public beta build is expected to arrive as soon as next week at the Professional Developer Conference in Los Angeles, those of you who can't wait until then can apparently find the Office 2010 code already on torrent sites. According to Neowin, the Professional Plus version of Microsoft's next-gen productivity suite has been making the rounds online marked as Beta 2 (build 14.0.4514.1009).

The beta is an update to the technology preview of the software that was leaked in May and officially released in July, though the most notable changes here are merely a "refined" interface and new program icons. The leak reportedly requires a product key to install, but Technical Preview keys seem to be working just fine.

In addition to its desktop applications, Microsoft is also readying browser-based versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. Preview versions of the first three were released back in September. It's unclear if they will also see an update next week, all Microsoft is promising are "some exiting news" at PDC. (Image source: Craving Tech)

Permalink to story.

I'm not a big fan of Betas, they usually tend to crash a lot and make more of a problem than to make lifes easier, I think I will just work with the 2007 suite.

There is a big security risk beta testers will be taking, since office is one of the most targeted blackholes in microsoft windows based computers.

There was a big issue with the new Office docx formats being just a ZIP file with XML data for pages, layouts etc which makes them easier to search for search engines.

BUT, this opened up a security issue with poor data handeling which enabled data execution from the seemingly "harmless document", to execute anything you wanted on the local machine, generally with adminsitration privledges too.

I still use Office 2000 I don't understand Office 2007 because I'm lets say - not graphically inclined, I prefer function rather than having to hunt for function in a mess of bloatware graphics that no one wants... [as far as I know]

I see, so they were stripping to barebones formats to save space and transfer Office documents quickly, but it left vulnerabilities and plenty of places to hide executables?

I use Office 2003. It's got plenty of function without feeling, well, large and cartoonish like 2007 does.

Nothing beneficial for most businesses – no reason to upgrade/purchase –

Like Vista – all bling – no function.

If they wanted to improve Office they SHOULD have -
1. Made outlook open multiple e-mail accounts as full exchange -not an additional mailbox with some functionality or pop/imap with very limited functionality but two seperate exchange profiles simultaneously from multiple exchange servers.

2. Full OLE support for pictures in access – umm wasn’t that functional with Office XP – why take that out? Why should someone have to code to add pictures to a personal database? Might was well use oracle or a real database if you are going to have to use code. Adding Office XP photo editor is the work around but why not just add photo editor back into office if that is the solution?

3. Offer the old menu bar for people (most of my clients) who don’t want to learn the new menu bar. You can finally modify the ribbon to some extent in 2010 however my clients just want their old ribbon bar. Frankly I have no issue with the new menu bar but I’m one person and most of my clients don’t like it so prefer to stick with office 2003. MS could make money selling the new version if they just offered the old menu as a choice with the new ribbon.

I'm a fan of office 2007, it has little additions that make normal tasks that much shorter. As for the file formats I had hoped the open document standard would make life easier, but it seems more complicated than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back