Microsoft Office 2010 issue

Johnathon

So I had an issue where I couldn't access Microsoft Office 2010. I had recently installed a trial version of 2013 to open some documents that I had put onto my USB; I think this may have had a problem with the other version. Microsoft 2010 wouldn't open, though I can't remember what the error said. This Microsoft 2010 was already installed on my laptop and I'm sure it wasn't a trial version. I was told to uninstall Microsoft 2010 so I went to control panel>uninstall program>Microsoft 2010 English (I was told to not uninstall the Microsoft 2010 click to run). After I uninstalled Microsoft 2010 English, I couldn't find Microsoft 2010 click to run but I could still see it as an option of a program to uninstall. How do I get Microsoft Office 2010 back?

When I download it, and double click it in my download library, it says "Windows can't open this file: to open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it etc. "

What is the file extension on the downloaded file?

I see no reason why you would see that message when downloading an executable from Microsoft. I'm curious which link you are using to download the file.

Docx is a document extension used on files that are saved by Word. I was under the impression you were needing to re-install Word. I was thinking the application Word was the download, not a Word document.

If you uninstalled both 2010 and 2013, you will need to install Word again before you can open a docx.

I meant, download Office 2010 installer from Microsoft again. Install using your product key.

Check and see if you have the option to create Application Recovery Disk. Some machines have this option as well as creating System Recovery Disk. If you don't have the option to create Application Recovery disk and you don't know what they Office keys are, your only option other than purchasing Office is a System Recovery.

By the way if you don't have Recovery Disk and you have the option to create them, now would be a good time to do so.

I am pretty sure if Office was included, they'd have given you the product key. Office comes bundled with most laptops, but it is a trial only (Click to Run is a trial).

I still believe you will need to purchase a product key for it.

Otherwise, if you desperately need to view documents (view only), download Microsoft Word Viewer and others.

Doesn't OEM require a sticker to be placed on the case?

I remember seeing OEM Office stickers on the bottom of Laptops as well as OEM OS stickers.

Could be. There's still either a disc or product info (including key if sticker isn't on laptop) in the package, from experience.

A friend of mine bought a laptop too earlier than I did but still has Microsoft Office 2010 and didn't purchase it

The version you had was a trail version most likely. If you uninstalled . You are out of luck. The only way to get it back .Is to buy it. Or do a factory reinstall on your laptop. Both my laptop and desktop came with trail version . Which is on most retail PC & Laptops. Or you can download Apache open office . Which I use instead of Office 10.

Usually when you want to install a new Microsoft Office like 2013, windows will prompt to close any open Microsoft Office software and also will ask to uninstall the older one you had before. You can't have both 2010 and 2013 install on the same PC. Windows can detect the software.

So if you have choose which to use on your PC, you will still need the product key to get the full version for either one.

If you are trying to access the Microsoft Outlook but unable to,

- .OST file could be corrupted. Will need to replace it.
- Missing data files (Archive). Will need to set up.

Belarc Advisor (Free) would have found the product key of your Microsoft Office 2010 installation. You could then have downloaded and reinstalled Office 2010 but unfortunately you have already deleted the program.

Your computer probably had Office 2010 Starter edition pre-installed. Like the other posters said, unless you factory re-installed your PC then you are pretty much out of luck.

Alternative to buying Office you can try Openoffice.

Back