Microsoft open sources .NET framework, adds compatibility for Mac and Linux

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft net mac linux windows software .net framework developers cross-platform

It’s a pretty historic day in Redmond as Microsoft has revealed intentions to make .NET, the software framework that primarily runs on Windows, a cross-platform product that’ll work on both Mac OS X and Linux. Over the coming months, Microsoft will also be open sourcing the full server-side .NET Core stack.

It doesn’t stop there, however, as Microsoft introduced a new free (and full-featured) edition of Visual Studio called Visual Studio Community 2013. It features access to the full Visual Studio extensibility ecosystem and support for targeting any platform.

microsoft net mac linux windows software .net framework developers cross-platform

In a blog post on the matter, Microsoft corporate vice president of the developer division, S. Somasegar, said they’ve been working closely with the Mono community to open source .NET.

Miguel de Icaza from Mono said it’s an exciting time for .NET developers and they are going to blend the best technologies from .NET into Mono and the cross-platform capabilities of Mono into .NET to give C# developers the best of both worlds.

As you’ve no doubt noticed over the past several months, CEO Satya Nadella has a radically different idea of the type of company that Microsoft should be.

A few months after taking office in February, he announced plans to shed 18,000 jobs in order to become a leaner and more agile company. Those efforts wrapped up just a couple of weeks ago as the last 3,000 employees were sent packing.

Developers interested in the open source .NET project can get started over at GitHub.

Permalink to story.

These days .NET survives only on the corporate market where there is no much need for scalable solutions. That's as far as web products are concerned.

I was using .NET for web development till the day I discovered NodeJS, and never looked back since.

I don't think Linux or Mac OS developers will care about .NET anymore, with NodeJS at full swing it is simply too late. Definitely not for anything web-related.

Visual Studio is a lot easier to use than Xcode and C# is easier than Objective C (in my opinion). Swift is new and simpler but still uses Xcode. I'm interested in seeing what you do on the Mac with .net

Actually I can't deal with your latest website update, Techspot. It's so crap and cumbersome. If I happen to move my mouse over the top menu's, the menus get stuck and don't disappear. so frustrating. Why did you even change it to this new theme??

Actually I can't deal with your latest website update, Techspot. It's so crap and cumbersome. If I happen to move my mouse over the top menu's, the menus get stuck and don't disappear. so frustrating. Why did you even change it to this new theme??

I've had the same experience with the menu getting stuck out there if I wrongly hover my mouse.

Back on topic, this sounds great not just for multiplatform .net but because the turn Microsoft has been taking lately.

Wake me up when Nodsjs has strong typing, first class object support with all OOP goodness, LINQ, async/await, Task Parallel library, delegates as first class objects, Function expression trees.... [I could go on and on..]
. Until then, I will stick with c#.

Wake me up when Nodsjs has strong typing, first class object support with all OOP goodness, LINQ, async/await, Task Parallel library, delegates as first class objects, Function expression trees.... [I could go on and on..]
. Until then, I will stick with c#.
I guess these nutters cant fall back on their prised comeback of supporting open source anymore? I also wonder what they will all say should Microsoft release a fully free, or dare I say it, open source version of windows? Hmmmm, that aside, I do however whole heartedly agree with your statement, as I too shall stick to C# until there is one day something better, but I may be in for a looong wait...

Same old Embrace, Extend and Extinguish from Microsoft. They embrace IOS and Linux, extend them with their product to get people use to them and then extinguish support for IOS and Linux, leaving only Microsoft left supporting all the people who want to continue using the product.

Visual Studio is a lot easier to use than Xcode and C# is easier than Objective C (in my opinion). Swift is new and simpler but still uses Xcode. I'm interested in seeing what you do on the Mac with .net

It means C#/C++ for iphone apps. This could be the end for Swift, which is still very new. The problem with objective C is that some of the syntax is backwards Compare to C/C++.

Back