Microsoft outlines changes to Explorer in Windows 8 beta

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has published a new blog post regarding changes that have been made to Windows 8 leading up to the public beta slated for release next month. Author Ilana Smith notes that nearly 2,200 reader comments were considered in addition to those from other feedback channels when incorporating OS changes.

A new option to the detailed conflict resolution dialog when copying duplicate files makes it easier to filter out files that match on name, size and time. This functionality adds no additional overhead to the operation and can be performed locally or across networks.

microsoft explorer win beta windows 8

Explorer is now able to read and interpret EXIF orientation data for JPEG images. This means that if your digital camera sets this value correctly, you will no longer have to rotate images once uploaded to your computer. As someone that takes a lot of photos, I’m certainly looking forward to this feature.

Another new feature outlines how a large copy job is transferred when a faster connection is introduced. If both sides of the copy operation are using Windows 8, the operating systems will recognize and utilize the faster connection (say, plugging in an Ethernet cable versus wireless transfer) on the fly. It will also be possible for a system to automatically pause a copy operation when entering sleep or hibernation modes. Upon awake, users will be able to resume the copy job by depressing the pause button on the dialog.

microsoft explorer win beta windows 8

Microsoft has also made a few changes to the ribbon system in Explorer. Based on lots of feedback from the Developer Preview where the ribbon was maximized by default, the team has now minimized the ribbon by default. Also new for the beta release is the addition of hotkey information to the tooltips of relevant buttons. The goal here is to help users discover hotkey shortcuts that will ultimately save them time. Last but not least, Microsoft has added Explorer settings to the attributes that are roamed to your other Windows 8 PCs in the “Sync your settings” UI.

Look for all of these changes and more in the upcoming Windows 8 public beta due out sometime in February.

Permalink to story.

Sounds pretty good. I'm not convinced on the ribbon yet (although I am pretty used to it now in Office). Are these new features good enough to pull me away from Windows 7 though?

I've been using ribbon since Office 07, I don't see much of an issue there, and it may turn out to be a great idea just like it has in the office suite. However, I am more concerned the GUI changes + overall performance improvements/tweaks the new OS may bring about.

I like the *idea* of real time switching of transfer mediums, but I'm not convinced that is a super improvement necessary of an upgrade.

If they'd allow throttling of transfer speeds and pausing of them (like 3rd party tools already do and have for at least a decade) then that would be cool.

Well, if you are already use to the ribbon interface that was jammed down our throats that is fine, but I personally can not stand them. But it does not matter to much, Microsoft will come up with a "better" idea and force people to use it just like they always do.

In a couple of years everything will look like the Metro UI, so just get use to it and stop your whining.

Back