Microsoft plans to build Xbox Live into Windows 8

Emil

Staff

Mike Delman, Microsoft's vice president of global marketing in the interactive entertainment business unit, was interviewed this week by The Seattle Times. The discussion encompassed various areas that the software giant dabbles in, and at one point Delman revealed that the company's Xbox Live service will be built into the next version of its desktop operating system, Windows 8.

Given that Microsoft has already brought Xbox Live integration to Windows Phone, its new mobile operating system, it only makes sense that there should be something similar, if not deeper, in Windows 8 as well. Delman didn't give too many details, but here are the three questions and answers that you'll probably find most interesting:

Q: Speaking of phone, I was surprised we didn't hear about connections between Xbox and Windows Phone here at E3.
A: Live has been successful on the Windows Phone. Live will be built into the PC. It will be the service where you get your entertainment. We were talking about it — you will not just see consoles and handhelds at this show next year, this show's going to morph into other devices.
Q: How will your services and content be part of Windows 8?
A: There will be a lot of similarities in design and service philosophy. Whether it's us or Apple or anybody else, people want to be able to navigate through multiple devices in a certain ecosystem very seamlessly so we're committed to that.
Q: Will Xbox Live be your cloud media service that works with your Windows PC as well as your phone and Xbox?
A: Xbox Live will the pervasive media service across devices.

Given that Microsoft is hoping to push Windows 8 to desktops, laptops, tablets, and other PC form factors, this will be huge exposure for Xbox Live. Still, it's too early to judge the impact this integration will have given that we still don't know exactly how it will work. Microsoft will have to make sure developers can easily take advantage of the service on PCs.

Microsoft announced earlier this year that Windows 8 will support Intel, AMD, and ARM architectures. The company gave its first preview of Windows 8 earlier this month.

Although a rumor suggests that Windows 8 will arrive on January 7, 2013, we expect that the operating system will ship in time for the 2012 holiday season. In fact, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said Windows 8 is coming in 2012, but Microsoft quickly claimed this was a misstatement.

Permalink to story.

NO! Makes me mad enough that as a PC gamer I have to stare at the xBox live tile in WP7. Don't effing build this in windows. Here's a thought, why not cover both groups and call it "Microsoft Live." Well, almost every title that comes out is DX9 anyway so I guess it doesn't make a difference anymore. You can take your xBox and shove it.

yRaz said:
NO! Makes me made enough that as a PC gamer I have to stare at the xBox live tile in WP7. Don't effing build this in windows. Here's a thought, why not cover both groups and call it "Microsoft Live." Well, almost every title that comes out is DX9 anyway so I guess it doesn't make a difference anymore. You can take your xBox and shove it.

Have you used your WP7 device long enough to work out you can delete tiles from the main screen? You don't have to stare at anything. And if you bought a Microsoft phone, why moan when they try to integrate the already successful gaming system that is xbox live with the phone they have created? Seriously no argument there.

As for the OS, as long as its better like steam and not shite like games for windows live, i am all for it. And since MS are obviously reacting to iCloud and Lion etc then I assume they will be looking to do this right.

@ Yukka, yeah, I figured that out within 5 minutes of getting the phone. I think it should just be called "live" instead of "xBox live." And to access any games you have to go to live tile unless you want them bloating up your main screen. I moan because xBox sucks, everyone loves spending extra money on games with bad graphics and an even worse interface.

Yet another reason for me for not getting Scam 8 *giggles*, but they will more likely hardcode it to games just like they did whit GFWL :(

As long as the feature can be disabled/enable then I don't see a problem. Personally id like this feature as I can keep in contact with friends which play on Xbox rather then PC, thats unless I have to pay for this service, then its a no no..

I tried to cancel my xbox live reoccuring payment last night but found out the only way to cancel is to call them. I signed up for it online yet I have to call them and likely be on hold\answer a bunch of stupid ****ing questions to cancel. When the next generation consoles come out I will not buy a xbox. Yes this is a small thing but I can hold grudge!

You know I use Windows Live Mail, it's an extra download.
I don't have a problem with Xbox Live becoming part of the OS, if it's an extra download.

Don't shove it down everyones throat, because everyone doesn't use it.

Except a PC user is smart enough to NOT pay for this cheap service it could get for free..that is..unless it is free, which would be nice!

I always welcome added functionality in new versions of Microsoft Windows as long as unneeded features can be easily disabled by the user. I personally don't own a Xbox console so Xbox Live integration in the upcoming Windows 8 doesn't really interest me.

"You know I use Windows Live Mail, it's an extra download.
I don't have a problem with Xbox Live becoming part of the OS, if it's an extra download.

Don't shove it down everyones throat, because everyone doesn't use it."

So you use everything included in Windows currently? That's a worlds' first.

More Microsoft software to uninstall or service to disable. My guess is most PC gamers will not want XBox Live on their rig.

SO this Xbox live being a for entertainment/media on the pc.It replacing windows media center then?.
Plus maybe they should call it M-Live or W-Live .

Be great if they did allow us to play against those console peeps on Xbox live too.
But hey We been down the road before,talking about and MS testing it.The bad out come for the console peeps
Plus I guess it saves A person to have to hook up a Xbox to the TV(DLNA) to stream movies etc from Xbox and netflix etc..

people do make xbox labtops, this sounds like microsoft tying to emulate a consumer made product with an officially made product.

Back