Microsoft: PlayStation 4 can be played through Xbox One's HDMI-In

Shawn Knight

Staff member

During a recent presentation at the Tokyo Game Show, Xbox senior director of product management and planning Albert Panello fielded a question about the Xbox One’s HDMI-In feature to support a feed from any device – specifically, the PlayStation 4.

The executive sidestepped the question at first but revisited the scenario a bit later in the presentation. He said any application can be snapped to a game which includes the live TV feed, so if someone wanted to play Ryse and Killzone at the same time, they could. If you aren’t familiar, Killzone is a PlayStation 4 exclusive.

playstation xbox hdmi sony microsoft playstation 4 xbox one

Up until this point, some believed the Xbox One might try to block the PlayStation 4 signal despite the fact that Microsoft said any HDMI device would be supported through the input.

So in theory, one could play a PS4 game through the Xbox One. Yeah, that’s pretty neat but what’s the point? I can see the practicality of using Skype or even having a football game or something playing alongside a game, but playing two different games at the same time isn’t terribly useful. Both users would have a smaller screen to work with and only one would get sound through the TV.

It all reminds me of the Picture-in-Picture feature that television manufacturers pitched for the longest time. Sure, it was neat to watch two shows at once but other than to test it out, I suspect most people (myself included) never used it.

Permalink to story.

And by the time you've bought an Xbox One AND Playstation 4 + extra's (games, hard drives, extra controllers etc...) you are litterally looking at $1000+

You could build a pretty decent rig for that price, Just sayin.

Anyway, I will happily bet the PlayStation 4 will do Skype, the football comment though doesn't make sense as that only works when being streamed from your cable box anyway? Or at least as far as I'm aware you can only have one thing plugged in at a time to the HDMI-in port?

They say that it will still allow the signal through even when the XB1 is in "standby", so it will still be all-round useful... if you use HDMI.

A double-edged sword for Microsoft. If they say that you can't run a playstation 4 signal with their console it looks like they are being difficult and crippling the x-box unnecessarily. If they say yes, they could, in some small sense, be encouraging people to buy their competitors console. What I want to know is who out there has the time and money to purchase and play both consoles? It seems just a bit excessive.

TheBigFatClown said:
What I want to know is who out there has the time and money to purchase and play both consoles? It seems just a bit excessive.
It's not that uncommon for people such as myself to have a custom-built gaming PC, consoles, and handhelds

I wonder how the passthrough will work; if it would be possible for the console to output the two signals as side-by-side 3D, so that you could do the trick where two users watch seperate materials on the same TV at once so long as they've got the glasses for it.

Consoles lol.
It's ok to be jealous. No one is judging you.

It's not okay to be a troll, We are ALL Judging you.

And yeah, it's just an HDMI pass through. I know to some people this is a big deal, but in reality it's just another distraction while gaming. Unless two people can play and watch with independent audio (one would need to wear a headset obviously) this is completely pointless to me. Much like the PiP feature (already pointed out in the article) its just a gimmick, Microsoft is trying to appeal to as many people as possible with as many features as possible. Something I feel will be the biggest downfall of the console.

Picture-in-Picture feature of television was useful if you were waiting for a show on some channel while watching something else on another channel, or you can skip advertisements by putting it in the small picture while watching something else until they are done

Now you can use Xbox overlay to share the Xbox overlay while using your PS4 overlay while playing Killzone.

I can still interact with my friends whilst playing PS4 Exclusives.
I see nothing wrong with it to be fair, why wouldn't it work?

Even though they confirmed it, I always assumed that Microsoft's comments regarding the HDMI meant that any HDMI device could work on it even though they were really hoping that folks would only hook up a cable box to it.

Well, that partly solves my issue with how I'm going to get surround sound for all of my devices.

Well I can see a lot of uses for this, none really apply to me but I can still see the uses. I know a lot of families that have both consoles and will prob do the same thing again this generation and to go with these consoles they bought nice 55-70 inch tv's, this would let to people play two different games at the same time, without having to spend the money on another tv (around twice the price of a console). Or if you have someone who wants to watch netflix while your gaming or you have your cable box hooked in through HDMI this would let them watch TV while your gaming, one of the gamers has to be using a headset though is all. Seems like it could help ease tv traffic congestion in some peoples houses.

No mention from Sony if PS4 supports HDMI pass-through huh?

Wonder if the pass will affect games in 3D... oh wait did they give up on those or will we see those still as an option?

Back