Microsoft product chief teases new Windows 10 UI in celebration of one billion users

Humza

Staff member
The big picture: Microsoft unifying its Windows Experience and Surface hardware teams under product chief Panos Panay was a strong indication that the company was taking the Windows 10 redesign seriously in order to evolve it with emerging dual-screen devices and to bring it on par with existing high-end Surface hardware. In celebration of a major user milestone achieved by the OS earlier this week, the company's product chief teased a new UI showcasing several new features and changes that users can expect in the future.

Windows 10 design revamp efforts have been keeping Microsoft busy for quite some time now. We've seen its Fluent Design language dictate the look and feel of new app icons as well as the Start Menu layout on the desktop. Similar UI changes have made their way to Windows 10X, the touch-friendly dual-screen OS that recently previewed a new lightweight File Explorer.

Although Windows Insiders (and curious readers) have been keeping up with these updates, a recent video posted on Instagram by chief product officer Panos Panay reveals several new features and UI changes that testers and general users alike can look forward to.

Celebrating Windows 10's recent one billion users milestone, the teaser starts with a short trip down memory lane before showing off the restyled Start Menu with translucent Live Tiles spaced further away from the programs list on the left.

Other noticeable items popping up with the clappy, upbeat tune is a new File Explorer app, similarly styled to its 10X counterpart, alongside new apps for Photo and Calculator, and updated context menus.

Windows heading towards a cohesive design direction (at least on the surface) is a positive development; however, it remains to be seen how long-standing UI/UX challenges such as inconsistent design patterns (Settings/Control Panel) and evolution of legacy apps, among others, are dealt with going forwards.

Another issue, though at a more fundamental level, are problematic OS updates that have increasingly become the norm. Should this trend continue, a more serious bug slipping through Windows Update could now put a billion users (and counting) at risk.

Permalink to story.

Since they're doing away with live tiles, maybe it's time to do away with tiles all together.

Live tiles should have been on a notification sidebar with the option to be reserved desktop space (I.e. nothing else can occupy that area). Then they might have actually been used. Microsoft blew it by trapping them on the start menu.

So, Win 10 wanting to become more like Windows 7. Scrap the whole OS and make a "remastered" Windows 7 version, since that's the world's popular flavor these days.

Ok win 7 has dx11 as limited. win 10 has dx 12. so trying to get dx12 on win 12 would be inpossible. you can use older os on own risk. if win 7 getting a sp2 to make I last a little longer. then som people would be happy. just like vista xp they got sp packs. o.c every os can be run forever. offline ok. online nope. then you getting annoying please upgrade to win 10. even som pc dont have bios fuchions in the. now microsoft tin about some people are still using a 200 mhz-800 mhz pcs pentium 1 2 3 4. they cant even get in win xp. first mistake was win me limited to 150 mhz. users in that time had to get new mb ram gpus soundcards. if they could take away that 150 mhz and set it as low as a 486-p60 -100 mhz we would be happy. windows me was a nice os but they blocked it from getting installed on older pcs. remake of all win 1.0-2000 with low user req ments. long live win 10

upd have you tryed win 2000 as I would run perfect as win xp vista. as from games I could run a 200 mhz game like shadow man on a p 60 pc 128 mb vram and 128 edo ram and some 128 sb card. that was enough power for win 95 98 se. and <me could have been runnig nice to <doh<
links

ps win 00transformation too look <like< vista. no support for dx9c-11

Last edited:
For chrissake, this is merely an operating system! The approach here is much like people who always want to be in the limelight, like media personalities and pols.

FWIW, I can run a stripped down Windows 10 (HiRens PE) on a 200MHz Pentium Pro motherboard with 1GB of hard-to-find 4x256MB 72-pin memory. This has to be the slowest Windows 10 setup ever, and I really can't do much with it except brag about it, browse the web and watch paint dry while the screen refreshes. I can't wait to try out the new Windows 10 UI on this rig!

Ok win 7 has dx11 as limited. win 10 has dx 12. so trying to get dx12 on win 12 would be inpossible. you can use older os on own risk. if win 7 getting a sp2 to make I last a little longer. then som people would be happy. just like vista xp they got sp packs. o.c every os can be run forever. offline ok. online nope. then you getting annoying please upgrade to win 10. even som pc dont have bios fuchions in the. now microsoft tin about some people are still using a 200 mhz-800 mhz pcs pentium 1 2 3 4. they cant even get in win xp. first mistake was win me limited to 150 mhz. users in that time had to get new mb ram gpus soundcards. if they could take away that 150 mhz and set it as low as a 486-p60 -100 mhz we would be happy. windows me was a nice os but they blocked it from getting installed on older pcs. remake of all win 1.0-2000 with low user req ments. long live win 10

Love all that they are doing. Now fix the sandbox that was introduced, worked fine, then stopped working after an update! Also stop with the hexadecimal error messages that have been there since day 1! They are meaningless!

I just want them to fix the sound crackle issue after sleep. It make sleep useless now and it gets annoying having to reboot my computer every time as that's the only solution. The problem was only introduced a few updates ago..why does it take so long to fix basic things like standard audio playback?

FWIW, I can run a stripped down Windows 10 (HiRens PE) on a 200MHz Pentium Pro motherboard with 1GB of hard-to-find 4x256MB 72-pin memory. This has to be the slowest Windows 10 setup ever, and I really can't do much with it except brag about it, browse the web and watch paint dry while the screen refreshes. I can't wait to try out the new Windows 10 UI on this rig!
something like this one from usb cd dvd https://www.hirensbootcd.org/ x86 on older down on page.

Last edited:
Back