Microsoft revamps several preloaded Windows 11 apps in latest Insider build

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: Windows 11's latest Insider build 22000.132 lets testers check out updated versions of Calculator, Calendar, Mail and the Snipping Tool. The apps will now honor the OS theme (dark or light modes) and come with rounded corners. Microsoft has also combined the classic Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch apps into one program for a better screen capturing experience.

Last week we saw images of Microsoft's visually revamped stock Paint and Photos apps appearing on the Unsplash Windows page. While their updated design is yet to reach Windows Insiders, they can now get a taster of other productivity apps with the latest Windows 11 build.

In the official blog post highlighting these changes, Microsoft notes that Windows 11 will replace the classic Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch apps with a single, theme-aware app that combines their functionality. It will use the existing shortcut (WIN + SHIFT + S) to launch and feature a new Settings section, alongside better editing controls for captured images.

The rounded corners treatment has been given to Mail, Calendar and Calculator apps as well. The latter has also been rewritten in C#, with Microsoft looking forward to developers making their own contributions to the app on Github.

While these apps have been rolled out in the Dev channel, Microsoft also pushed a number of fixes and acknowledged dozens more with this build. It also released Chat from Microsoft Teams for users in the Beta channel, alongside a tweaked Store app featuring auto-scrolling and an updated UI.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand what's their obsession with the screen capturing tool: It's been JUST FINE since window 7: you open it, you select what you want or full screen and it can save the results as an image. WHY DO THEY NEED TO KEEP MESSING WITH THIS SIMPLE TOOL. This is akin for them being on the 5th iteration and revamp/fusion of the calculator app when it's been working perfectly fine without issues since Windows 95.

For as much as people criticize Linux this kind of stuff makes me think they're also not immune to not being able to let "good enough" be and having this irrational drive to reinvent the wheel constantly, just like Linux devs and their endless distributions and iterations and changes for the sake of change.

Techspot has tested the new build, and it does in fact run better on Nvidia cards than on AMD cards.

Good to know they can get this kind of thing figured out before launch. I dont know what I would have done if paint didnt have rounded corners and a flat design like literally everything else these days!

Meanwhile printer bugs keep crawling out, the control panel is still split between the old and the new, and desperately wanted features like tabs in explorer continue to go unimplemented. Truly the work of geniuses!

I don't understand what's their obsession with the screen capturing tool: It's been JUST FINE since window 7: you open it, you select what you want or full screen and it can save the results as an image. WHY DO THEY NEED TO KEEP MESSING WITH THIS SIMPLE TOOL. This is akin for them being on the 5th iteration and revamp/fusion of the calculator app when it's been working perfectly fine without issues since Windows 95.

For as much as people criticize Linux this kind of stuff makes me think they're also not immune to not being able to let "good enough" be and having this irrational drive to reinvent the wheel constantly, just like Linux devs and their endless distributions and iterations and changes for the sake of change.
Almost everything done since 8 has been change for the sake of. They're messing with simple tools to make it look like they're doing something, thats all.

Constantly 'evolving' features as well as unneccessary changes to simple tools and interactions is a tactic to keep the consumer vulnerable and subject. Microsoft certainly doesn't want it's 'users' to feel like it is THEIR operating system.

Did theses a**holes ever consider putting Media Center back in? IMO, that would be the most worthwhile thing they could do

Most of this crap they're doing, seems more or less designed to keep the customer off balance, but wanting the "newness", nonetheless.

I would be happy if they just revamp the print spooler service so that it doesn't have so many critical vulnerabilities. I think that is a better use of resources than this cosmetic crap they are doing. I hope Windows 11 is more than putting lipstick on a Windows 10 pig.

What I would like to see is to be able to either completely get rid of OR totally block these stupid apps. Even worse is that with every update the $hit keeps changing my "default application settings" to these lame ones.

I think they are doing a great job but casuals who never coded even simple code as Hello World will most likely never understand how hard it is to perform even a single change to not **** up the whole generations of programs.

What I would like to see is to be able to either completely get rid of OR totally block these stupid apps. Even worse is that with every update the $hit keeps changing my "default application settings" to these lame ones.
That's because M$ doesn't want the customer to configure their own system to their own taste, they want it configured M$' way, or not at all.

I think they are doing a great job but casuals who never coded even simple code as Hello World will most likely never understand how hard it is to perform even a single change to not **** up the whole generations of programs.
What a hardship it must be, working and slaving over a hot terminal all day (**), "cooking up" face lifts on craplications that nobody cares about, or uses in the first place.

(**) For a mere 100k+ a year.

Control Panel multiple personality disorder is one of the most irritating things in Windows 10 (and its cousins).

Control Panel multiple personality disorder is one of the most irritating things in Windows 10 (and its cousins).
You're on the right track, but they've renamed the syndrome:

Dissociative identity disorder was previously referred to as multiple personality disorder. Symptoms of dissociative identity disorder (criteria for diagnosis) include: The existence of two or more distinct identities (or “personality states”).

(Which I assume mirrors M$' habit of reassigning control panel terminology).

Last edited:
You're on the right track, but they've renamed the syndrome:

Dissociative identity disorder was previously referred to as multiple personality disorder. Symptoms of dissociative identity disorder (criteria for diagnosis) include: The existence of two or more distinct identities (or “personality states”).

(Which I assume mirrors M$' habit of reassigning control panel terminology).

For inexplicable reason I've read your explanation as:

"Symptoms of dissociative identity disorder include: The existence of two or more system windows to setup the same service or device."

Must be something wrong with my vision.

Back