Microsoft reveals 23% of user upgrades to Windows Phone come from Android

I kindof just can't wrap my head around those numbers though. The Feature Phone to Smartphone upgrades are all great! But I wonder what kind of Android handsets the WP8 users are coming from. For instance I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Ace (Crappy Android Phone) to an "Ativ S" (ridicilously cheap top of the line WP8 Phone). That said though, I really regret doing so because this far WP8 has been pretty much only a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. And I think anyone coming from a proper Android handset will be equally if not more disappointed then what I am.

Hardware wise my Ativ S is absolutely phenomenal value for the money. But decisions such as locking the Search button to "Bing Only" (who the **** uses bing over google, seriously?) or not supporting swiping keyboards is just really killing it.

I'm not saying it's all bad. I'm likely to keep my Ativ S for a couple of years and it serves me very well for the most importaint tasks, such as calendar usage/todo lists/notes/email/photos and all of that. But with the direction microsoft are taking I think it's really quite unlikely that I will ever buy another windows phone handset.

It's kindof like I have a really good phone, and I know it's really good. But I JUST DON'T LIKE IT.

Unfortunately you've bought the wrong WP handset. Despite very good hardware and screen, I can never recommend buying WP device made by Samsung, since it isn't serious about the platform and isn't doing anything special, unlike Nokia.

I bought 920 (while still keeping my S3, but only for testing out custom ROMs whenever I have time and feel like doing it), and it is a far more consistent, and better performer compared to the crappy, often crashing, and stuttering S3 running JB 4.1.x. By the way I've gone through two S3s just hoping that things may improve.

Now on search, I never use Google, and Bing is a very decent solution. It all comes to preference, so I can understand the issue there. I haven't bothered about how to get Google search on it, but I'll have a look and let you know about a solution (if available).

Lol, I'm closing on 20 years now of beeing an avid google user. I'm so "good" at finding what I want that any bystanders usually tend to go "WTF did you just do now?".

Anyhow, I realize Nokia Phones are slightly better developed, for instance you can in fact change the search button there to google. But at this very moment I still feel windows phones as a whole are useless.

If you're an advanced user, you're better off with android.
If you're a simpleton, then iPhone is for you.

WP8 falls in between kinda sucking at both. It looks nice, but that's only until you realize that your new and beautiful home screen is now a total mess. I don't even have my contacts on it and yet I am already using almost 3x the size of the basic home screen. I actually find it harder to whatever piece of software I want to go to in WP8 then I do in android or iphone. And most tiles have to be either large or wide in order to be useful at all. Which means my effectual + Email + Calendar + SMS messages is already enough to take up the majority of my home screen. Add the camera, browser, calling, music, office and alarm icons to that mess. And you've used the whole thing and you gotta start scrolling.

Also, the tiles are not customizeable enough. For instance my weather tile keeps swapping back and forth between showing useful and useless info. But I can't actually lock it to the info I want.

I really hope windows will become a solid choice as a third smartphone platform in addition to IOS and Android, but looking at many of the choices microsoft are making. They're really trying to force me to use things like bing or skydrive rather then make those applications in to natural choices.

Also :p The tiles, arranging them in a practical way oftentimes means they don't look very nice. Yeeh, I just said that

The feature phone stat doesnt surprise me since regular consumers dont really know the difference between WP, iOS, and Android.

On WP UX, most reviews over the years prayed its simplistic and flat UX. It is whole lot easier to make someone understand it compared to any crapdroid and even iOS. It is interesting to see that WP's flat UI design has first been copied by android (to some extent) and now iOS. So, I think when it comes to design philosophy others followed it, period.

Finding any installed app is no more difficult then going through a list of apps with simple swipe (if you haven't pinned it). In android you have to go through pages of app drawer to find, so there isn't much difference, but that is just my opinion.

I agree with your point of tiles not customizable enough, I have given similar feedback to WP team and I hope they will listen. A little more customization and perhaps a free style customization of tile sizes should make things better.

Any way, it all comes to individual experiences and likings. Personally I rank android as the worst of the three top contenders. The other two are very close, but since, iOS has huge lead in the market, it easily wins.

Meh, we could argue all day but it's simply no point. I think WP8 has great potential and hopefully, in 2-3 years it's gonna rock. But right here, right now, today, and probably for at least another year. There's just no way I would recommend any windows phone over a top end Android or IOS handset like the iPhone 4s/5, or Galaxy S3,S4, Note 2, Xperia Z, HTC One X or similar.

The only reason I bought myself a WP8 Phone was because it was cheap, it has phenomenal HARDWARE for the money since the Ativ S is currently only like 60-70% of the price of an equivalently equipped Android Phone and less than half the price of the iPhone 5, while boasting better hardware in every way.

I think WP has potential to knock down either IOS or Android user-base wise. But I'm currenly not sure which one it's going to be, but it won't be both. xD

I believe it is perfectly okay to differ on opinions about something. For me, a phone with an OS which crashes at most unexpected of times, no matter how good it may be, is nothing more but a pile and a half of ****. Hence, I'll always rate iOS / WP higher than android. Cheers mate, see you.

Microsoft reveals 23% of user upgrades to Windows Phone come from Android

Not a surprising number, considering instability + performance (and security) issues with many many android sets.
rchean, post: 1321857, member: 242924"]Microsoft reveals 23% of user upgrades to Windows Phone come from Android

Not a surprising number, considering instability + performance (and security) issues with many many android sets.[/QUOTE]

The top end android phones are awesome and don't have any more issues than iphones unless you download sketchy malware infested apps. 99.9% of android issues are user error or cheap hardware. *****s get the free android phone and then wonder why it's slow and glitchy. You get what you pay for. The cheap base model of anything isn't gonna be able to compete with the top end version, dur dur dur!

Get the top end android phones, they are literally two years ahead of Apple feature wise. Apple's are dumbed down smart phones that are harder for people to screw up, but at the cost of functionality. Not to mention incompatible with anything but other overpriced Apple products. Can't believe 14% of worldwide phone users are dumb enough to go Apple.

Back