Microsoft reveals 400 million machines are now running Windows 10, new Edge security feature

midian182

Staff member

Back in July, Microsoft admitted that its goal of hitting one billion Windows 10 installations just three years after the launch of its latest OS wasn’t going to happen. But this figure will eventually be reached - it just won’t be in 2018. It's been announced that Windows 10 is running on 400 million active devices as of today, about 14 months after its release.

That figure is 100 million more than the 300 million installations recorded on May 5. At the end of March, Windows 10 was found on 207 million active devices (any desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, Surface Hubs, HoloLens devices, etc. that have been active in the last 30 days). Despite missing the billion installs mark, it’s still the fastest-growing Windows platform in Microsoft’s history.

As expected, growth has slowed down slightly since the free Windows upgrade offer ended in July. After Microsoft ended the deal – and its incredibly annoying nagware – the number of new users reportedly slowed from 30 million to 16.6 million per month. The past three months are also when PC sales are usually at their slowest.

Microsoft announced the figures at the opening day of the Microsoft Ignite conference in Atlanta, where it also revealed a new security feature for its Edge browser. Called Windows Defender Application Guard, it “uses virtualization-based security technology to protect against advanced attacks coming from the Internet.”

The Application Guard will be able to isolate potentially malicious code in containers to keep it away from other system processes, making it much more difficult for attacks to be carried out against your machine. Exiting Microsoft Edge will wipe any malware in the memory. It’ll arrive later this year in Insider builds of Windows, and for enterprise customers who’ve expressed an interest early next year. Check out more in the video below.

Graph credit: VentureBeat

Permalink to story.

I have Windows 10 on my Core i7, 32GB RAM, Titan X (HP ENVY)

Easily the greatest operating system I've ever used.

Once they get more bugs out it'll be even better.

It's rarely a good thing IMHO to be an early adopter of a new OS. You gotta give it time to mature, and third party software and hardware/device makers also need time to update their products for the new OS. Unfortunately this usually takes a few years. That's why for my main computer I'm sticking with 8.1 for now, until Directx 12 is the norm for gaming. Although I don't mind using Windows 10 on the living room computer connected to the TV

Awww warm fuzzies... never mind the fact that M$ shoved their new OS down the throat of many users, some of which didn't realize it was happening. Plus the fact they keep removing long-standing features and functions to satisfy their new world order. Fu**ers...

Windows in it's current form will never guest on my "work" machine. There are two reasons, mainly. Lack of control over update timeline and possible spying of my data. I had some two or three istances of botched Windows update that took out my PC for a day and one of those actually cost Me time and money. Never again! I play games less and less every year, therefore I feel less need for running DirectX system and second - Windows based workstations are awfully designed. Recently browsing through PC hardware stores laptop isles, I havent found a single Windows laptop that would have the built quality of my friend's Macbook Pro, unless it cost the same money. Hell is freezing, My next PC might be as well a $1K Mac.

Awww warm fuzzies... never mind the fact that M$ shoved their new OS down the throat of many users, some of which didn't realize it was happening. Plus the fact they keep removing long-standing features and functions to satisfy their new world order. Fu**ers...

Maybe you never actually READ the TOS?

You use Windows at the behest of Microsoft.

"Despite missing the billion installs mark, it’s still the fastest-growing Windows platform in Microsoft’s history."
well geez, Windows 8 was such a roaring success, as was 8.1
They skipped 9 to get away from the stench of Win 8. Win XP is 15 years old and unsupported. That leaves Windows 7 and the curve for it on that graph is practically as good as the one for Windows 10. Not bad for a 7 year old OS that is in extended support.
I'd say that takes a little of the gloss of Win 10 (even tho I use it, resistance is futile).

Windows in it's current form will never guest on my "work" machine. There are two reasons, mainly. Lack of control over update timeline and possible spying of my data. I had some two or three istances of botched Windows update that took out my PC for a day and one of those actually cost Me time and money. Never again! I play games less and less every year, therefore I feel less need for running DirectX system and second - Windows based workstations are awfully designed. Recently browsing through PC hardware stores laptop isles, I havent found a single Windows laptop that would have the built quality of my friend's Macbook Pro, unless it cost the same money. Hell is freezing, My next PC might be as well a $1K Mac.

Actually, in a work environment you can easily control the flow of your updates with WSUS. Of course easily is relative to how much IT knowledge you have to set it up. You could also use Windows update for business, and does not need a domain, which lets you postpone updates anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 months depending on the severity of the update. Also I'm not sure I understand the last part, as it sounds like you are saying the quality of the PC is relative to the amount of money you spend...since when has that ever changed.

Well they can take one away from me! I had windows 10 on a machine when the boot drive failed. Replacing only the boot drive (everything else the same) I tried to get Microsoft to reinstate the licence for what is the same machine which had been upgraded free from a valid Windows 7 Pro licence. They refused - the licence is now apparently tied to the drive windows is first installed on and if that fails the you have to pay for a new one! According to the staff I spoke to the user does not 'own' the licence and it is not transferable like it was in the past.
So I'm going back to Windows 7 which still works perfectly for me and for which I have a valid licence. That's 400 million minus one machines on Windows 10!

Since my very first "DOS 3.20", Windows 10 did some improve over Windows 7, but also bring out some software incompatibility and the "Drag & Drop failed" problem, and no sign of fixing it up to now.

Since my very first "DOS 3.20", Windows 10 did some improve over Windows 7, but also bring out some software incompatibility and the "Drag & Drop failed" problem, and no sign of fixing it up to now.
I lost my 'Drag & Drop' in Windows 10 too. It turned out that because I had implemented the registry changes to reduce the clutter in the navigation panel of explorer (why they didn't just program it to be customisable I'll never know), one of those changes disables drag and drop. So reinstating the original value (and putting the unwanted clutter back) restored the Drag and Drop functionality.

I have moved over to Win 10 during the 1 year free upgrade period. It wasn't perfectly smooth since the upgrade process screwed up many of my applications (particularly the security apps). Such is the life of an early adopter. However, my impression of Win 10 is very positive.
I also made the difficult decision to completely move over to Edge from Chrome. I had to use both in the beginning as certain sites crashed on Edge, but nowadays I don't have any problem with it and I particularly like the built-in Cortana search despite the fact that it is not giving as good results as google.
Overall I love Win 10 and I am OK with Edge.

I hope that the Microsoft store will feature more and more popular and high-end desktop applications so one wouldn't need to download 3rd party apps from websites.... It is getting better clearly but there is still room for aggressive expansion. :)

Hmmm surprisingly still staying above Windows 7 adoption rates, even when adjusted for time.

I cannot stop laughing at the tinfoil hat people clinging to archaic Windows 7. Enjoy your slow, ugly, inefficient, and unsupported OS!

If you are worried about MS spying on you, lol the US government is doing FAR worse on ALL OS'. In fact it is likely easier for them to spy on your outdated OS.

Hmmm surprisingly still staying above Windows 7 adoption rates, even when adjusted for time.

I cannot stop laughing at the tinfoil hat people clinging to archaic Windows 7. Enjoy your slow, ugly, inefficient, and unsupported OS!

If you are worried about MS spying on you, lol the US government is doing FAR worse on ALL OS'. In fact it is likely easier for them to spy on your outdated OS.
No OS is going to protect you from Gov. surveillance and intelligence...

Windows 7 is still supported. It is in Extended Support which means only patches for security and bugs, no new features. Mainstream support like in Win 10 means they can also add features as well as giving you security and bug patches.

Enjoy your slow, ugly, inefficient, and unsupported OS!
Where do you get slow and inefficient from? Windows 7 is still a fast OS. I went back to 7 from 10 on my gaming computer and didn't notice a difference in speed. The only thing slower is the boot time, which I will admit 10 is better at. Ugly is completely personal though, and a lot of people find Windows 10 flat design ugly. I am one of them... I still like "aero" and much prefer that over the 10 design. And it isn't unsupported, most businesses are still running 7 and it is still getting updates.

Back